What is the Straw Market?

meredith

Just got back from Nassau, & I had the same question. Well, it's w/in walking distance to the piers ( you can see the white tent roofs from the ship.) It's basically a craft & souvenir flea market, with rows & rows of tables piled to the ceiling with merchandise, much of it straw hats, bags, etc. I didn't like it because I don't like to barter & I don't like to have merchants shouting to me to buy their stuff. Also it was very hot & claustrophobic inside.:( They are other shops on Bay Street with basically the same selections ( more $ probably but less aggravation.) JMHO

In general the straw markets are booths owned by local islanders who open up a small business. They feed their families on the money thry bring in. It can be very intimidating for cruisers there, high pressure sales. I've found some nice carvings there at a good price. I prefer to buy from the people who actually make it, not items bought from a central supplier. There are a few artisits that have booths there, they generally will be practicing their craft there while you shop.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Avoid . . . that's all I can say. I understand people have to make a living but unless you're ready to deal with the most aggressive people I've ever encountered in the Caribbean . . . not to mention being in very small, confined space with long lines of tiny enclaves (in one very hot "building" with only exit/and entrances at each end) . . . I would suggest you stick with the shops on the streets leading up to the Straw Martet. :(

Do you pay their asking price or "haggle" like in Mexico????

Thanks!

You haggle/barter, whatever you want to call it... Never pay what they initially ask. If you're interested in something, make them an offer and walk away, they'll follow you.

When my 17 year old daughter and I walked through last year- the ladies were not only yelling at us to buy things and get our hair braided- but they were also yelling out the cost of various sexual activities in VERY crude terms.

They were angry at the people passing them by and were trying to "shock" us, I think- which they succeeded in doing.

AVOID if you have children....

When my 17 year old daughter and I walked through last year- the ladies were not only yelling at us to buy things and get our hair braided- but they were also yelling out the cost of various sexual activities in VERY crude terms.

They were angry at the people passing them by and were trying to "shock" us, I think- which they succeeded in doing.

AVOID if you have children....

You're kidding, right??? I"ve been to the straw market 50/60 times or more and have NEVER encoutered anyone shouting sexual remarks.. EVER. Most of these workers are older women and small children. The remarks such as "pretty lady, wanna t-shirt" can get annoying sometimes, but I doubt much they were offering any sexual services, even for "shock" value.

No way! I guess I was lucky because, they were VERY annoying, but never crude. I've only been there 3 times, but they were all just trying to make a living. Sorry that happened to you, but from what I have heard and seen, this is not the normal.

Well, it was a group of women about 30 years old. They seemed angry that so many were passing them by.

Of course it wasn't a serious offer- but like I said- I think it was intended to shock and for them to let off steam.

Certainly you could be in the fanciest place on earth and someone could yell out something crude, right? But I just wanted to relate my experience.

We went there to shop on our last cruise. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The long narrow aisles made it difficult to stop and shop. Some of the sellers were quite agressive. We left and went to the small shops out on the main street.

I think that the beach or sightseeing would be our choice in the future.

You haggle/barter, whatever you want to call it... Never pay what they initially ask. If you're interested in something, make them an offer and walk away, they'll follow you.

You're right about by walking away. When I was there on Christmas Day 2004, I didn't pay their asking price. I told them I will pay half of the price. It worked everytime. My son wanted a shell necklace that was going for $10.00 but I told him I will pay it for $5.00. He didn't think the seller would go for it so he dragged me over to the booth and showed me the necklace. The seller came over to us right away and said, $10.00, $10.00. I looked at him and said $5.00 and the deal was done. I also bought at Fendi from there. The woman wanted $80.00 but I got it for $40.00. In 2002, my DH bought me a Fendi wallet from the Fendi store on Bay Street and a purse. I only bought the Fendi bag from the straw market for two reasons 1). all the other stores were closed and 2). I just wanted a little something to take to work everyday. It pays to bargain with the sellers. My son is talking about how I talked the seller down on his necklace.

Archived