Grinch Stole Christmas on the Last Day of Our Cruise

Eran0697

Hi all, my family and I had a wonderful Christmas cruise aboard the Elation this year. This cruise was perfect up until our last day on the ship. I received a beautiful pair of earrings from my husband and son on Christmas day. I put the earrings in the safe (operated by an old credit card) along with our Ipad/phones, wallets, and passports. The backs of the earrings did not fit well and I didn’t want to take the chance of losing one.

During the cruise we had great weather. A Christmas cruise is certainly a cruise geared for families. Kids were everywhere!!

The last day of our cruise we decided to sleep in and left the room around noon. Our cabin had been cleaned when we returned around 3:00. We were in and out of the room during the day packing and finally returned for bed around midnight. To our surprise our steward had not returned to our room to let down the upper for my son. We had to call for assistance.

The next morning we did a final check of the room/safe/under the bed and left the room around 8:00. We arrived at the airport around 11:30 and that’s when it hit me……” I don’t remember packing my earrings”!! I immediately called Carnival to report them missing. My claim with Carnival will remain active for 30 days.

Unfortunately we had already checked our luggage so I had to wait until 4:00 that afternoon to get to our bags. Finally, I had access to our luggage and like a mad woman I went through every single bag right in the middle of the airport. Just as I thought, no earrings to be found. I am not sure who stole my earrings but since we did not see our steward any of the last day on the ship he is a suspect. We actually walked our floor the last night of the cruise looking for him because we wanted to give him an extra tip. We left it on the bed for him upon our departure.

Morale of story: periodically check your belongings as you cruise and always purchase insurance. My little $100 insurance policy will cover the cost of my earrings if they are not returned. It just breaks my heart that even though the entire ship was filled with joy and happiness the Grinch was also present!!

Happy travels,

Sorry you lost your earrings, but it certainly is not fair to automatically accuse the steward. These folks work for several months away from home and would have no where to get rid of something if they had stolen it. Also, not sure that they would do something like that when they would most certainly lose their job.

I hope you get them back and they are somehow found, but please do not unjustly accuse someone.

Sorry you lost your earrings, but it certainly is not fair to automatically accuse the steward. These folks work for several months away from home and would have no where to get rid of something if they had stolen it. Also, not sure that they would do something like that when they would most certainly lose their job.

I hope you get them back and they are somehow found, but please do not unjustly accuse someone.

Ditto. It sounds as if you left them in the safe and not that they were stolen by what is written in the original post! I hope that they are returned to you.

Ditto. It sounds as if you left them in the safe and not that they were stolen by what is written in the original post! I hope that they are returned to you.

Agreed. More than likely they found their way under the little lip that surrounds the bottom of the safe. It's the perfect hiding place for any small items in the safe.

Seems a bit unfair to automatically place blame on the steward...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Sorry you lost/forgot your earrings in the safe. There have been a couple times that I have found items left in safes on board and in hotels. I do believe that you are unfairly accusing the room steward as he does not have access to your safe. Even if you accidentally lock your safe and lose your swipe card, your room steward can't get into it, they have to call maintenance and maintenance will not open the safe unless you are there.

Remember innocent until proven guilty....

Sorry you lost/forgot your earrings in the safe. There have been a couple times that I have found items left in safes on board and in hotels. I do believe that you are unfairly accusing the room steward as he does not have access to your safe. Even if you accidentally lock your safe and lose your swipe card, your room steward can't get into it, they have to call maintenance and maintenance will not open the safe unless you are there.

ditto

So sorry you lost them. Maybe they will get turned in.

In our room last Sept. We found a heart necklace with small diamonds or fake, not sure. We turned it into customer service. They said they would check if one had been reported missing. I hope someone will find yours and turn in.

Were they in their presentation box or loose? If loose it's quite possible that they slipped under the mat or was 'thrown' out of the safe when you cleared it out.

We never take any jewlery beyond what we wear onboard. It never comes off. On the rare occassion that my band has become too tight I place it in my passport holder.

Learn from this life lesson--

Never give presents on vacation. Do the gift giving at home.

Always put anything expensive away into something you won't forget.

Hi all, my family and I had a wonderful Christmas cruise aboard the Elation this year. This cruise was perfect up until our last day on the ship. I received a beautiful pair of earrings from my husband and son on Christmas day. I put the earrings in the safe (operated by an old credit card) along with our Ipad/phones, wallets, and passports. The backs of the earrings did not fit well and I didn’t want to take the chance of losing one.

During the cruise we had great weather. A Christmas cruise is certainly a cruise geared for families. Kids were everywhere!!

The last day of our cruise we decided to sleep in and left the room around noon. Our cabin had been cleaned when we returned around 3:00. We were in and out of the room during the day packing and finally returned for bed around midnight. To our surprise our steward had not returned to our room to let down the upper for my son. We had to call for assistance.

The next morning we did a final check of the room/safe/under the bed and left the room around 8:00. We arrived at the airport around 11:30 and that’s when it hit me……” I don’t remember packing my earrings”!! I immediately called Carnival to report them missing. My claim with Carnival will remain active for 30 days.

Unfortunately we had already checked our luggage so I had to wait until 4:00 that afternoon to get to our bags. Finally, I had access to our luggage and like a mad woman I went through every single bag right in the middle of the airport. Just as I thought, no earrings to be found. I am not sure who stole my earrings but since we did not see our steward any of the last day on the ship he is a suspect. We actually walked our floor the last night of the cruise looking for him because we wanted to give him an extra tip. We left it on the bed for him upon our departure.

Morale of story: periodically check your belongings as you cruise and always purchase insurance. My little $100 insurance policy will cover the cost of my earrings if they are not returned. It just breaks my heart that even though the entire ship was filled with joy and happiness the Grinch was also present!!

Happy travels,

Sorry YOU LOST your earrings.

Sorry you lost your earrings BUT not only it is unfair to accuse your room stewart it is also not possible. The room Stewarts do NOT have access to your safe with any (master card) if you were unable to open your safe with the card you chose you would have to call the pursers desk and they would have to open it. Most likely the previous poster is correct about that small lip (perfect hiding spot for little pieces of jewelry) .

Again sorry for your loss of earrings but I don't believe they were stolen, just misplaced or lost. Glad you enjoyed your Christmas cruise!!:)

Ditto, the culprit is probably looking at you in the mirror. My wife misplaced her watch for several days until I completely emptied the safe and ran a finger all around the bottom. The watch had lodged in the corner behind the door hinge and that happened on the Elation. Your earrings are probably there.

Just wanted to let you know that my son left his iPod behind on our last cruise. We called immediately when we got home, and the ship was already out to sea; however, when it returned to port we got a phone call that it had been found in our cabin. Carnival mailed it back to us. My son was so happy, and we were so impressed.

Just because you didn't see your steward doesn't mean he is automatically guilty. We didn't see our steward the last full day because she was at the end of her contract and had taken the day off to prepare for her departure. We only know this because we saw her the morning we were departing when she came to say good bye to her co workers. Sorry you lost your gift, but my guess is they were left behind, not stolen.

Just because you didn't see your steward doesn't mean he is automatically guilty. We didn't see our steward the last full day because she was at the end of her contract and had taken the day off to prepare for her departure. We only know this because we saw her the morning we were departing when she came to say good bye to her co workers. Sorry you lost your gift, but my guess is they were left behind, not stolen

Contact JohnHeald on his Facebook and I'm sure he will do his best to get them back for you and let you know the status of where they are. I agree with the others, To blame the cabin steward is not fair.

I don't understand how you forgetting to pack your earrings turned into the Steward is a thief.

Maybe he did steal. Maybe your son stole them? Maybe your husband returned them? Maybe you made this all up... Maybe he did steal, but why take your earrings? Your money or I Pads would be much more valuable to him on a ship.

I'm sorry you lost your stuff, but it seems really inappropriate to accuse someone on a public message board without any proof of what happened.

Edited by Lerin

I don't understand how you forgetting to pack your earrings turned into the Steward is a thief.

Maybe he did steal. Maybe your son stole them? Maybe your husband returned them? Maybe you made this all up...

I'm sorry you lost your stuff, but it seems really inappropriate to accuse someone on a public message board without any proof of what happened.

Maybe she is accusing the room steward because she doesn't want to place the blame where it actually lies. With herself. Honestly, it is quite bothersome that she is accusing someone of stealing her earrings when she herself forgot they were in the safe. Heck with an iPad, wallet, etc in the safe, I would think the "culprit" would have actually taken something of more value. :cool:

On our last cruise on the Glory, our safe was beeping and we figured it might need a new battery. Our steward asked us to empty it out and then he could reset it. He could not access it if we had left it locked so we just waited there until he fixed it instead if dragging our stuff around.

It totally stinks that you lost your earrings. But I'm afraid that you are falsely accusing your room steward of something he didn't do. It's possible that he may have had a little much needed time off and that's why you didn't see him. These people work their hind ends off and I think saying he went into your safe is, well, rude.

If room stewards had access to the safes, why bother having them at all?

Edited by firemanbobswife

What would be the point of a room steward stealing earrings? If it was a man what was he going to give them to a coworker he likes or something so that everyone else on the ship would wonder where he got them? You either left your earrings in the safe the steward DID NOT have access to, or you otherwise lost them. Earrings are easily to lose as you see. Geesh I've lost some cheapies and pricey ones. I didn't have a room steward to blame it on. I tend to leave expensive jewelry home during vacation (other than my wedding rings) or I wear them the whole time. If you get in touch with guest services, you may find your earrings were turned in.

Maybe he did steal. Maybe your son stole them? Maybe your husband returned them? Maybe you made this all up... Maybe he did steal, but why take your earrings? Your money or I Pads would be much more valuable to him on a ship.

Thank You!

One hundred dollars for earrings is chump change. No steward will risk stealing for something worth only that. The OP was careless in cleaning out the safe. It's very easy to lose things under the lip or even under the mat.

I think you misread the OP's statement. She said for a one hundred dollar <insurance> policy her earrings will be covered. Which leads me to believe that the earrings are worth more than that.

Original poster I totally understand where you are coming from and I understand why you feel as you do. If I left something in a secure place and it was gone and ONE person had access to my secure place I'd consider them a culprit also. Everyone posting here doesn't have a clue. IT COULD have been the steward just as it could have been any of her family. You don't know if every little penny a person who works for so little base pay rate would steal something. Maybe he wanted to give it to his girlfriend? Maybe he didn't steal it and it's still in the safe. It is a possibility but also it is naive to think that no stewards would steal on a cruise ship. All types of people, like in regular life have different morals.

I hope you get them back and I hope they were left accidentally but I totally "get" your feeling and yes you have every right to your suspicions.