Forts In San Juan

kbset

We loved El Morro too. We did the 2 hour segway tour and enjoyed riding them and got a lot of info on old San Juan's history. We also got to see the fort and ride the segways to the front of the fort while other people had to make that long walk by foot. I believe we paid $65 per person for this tour and plan to do it again on our next visit.

We don't want to book an excursion through the ship to see the fort...does anyone know how to get there on our own and what the approximate cost would be?

It is a easy uphill walk about 10 min. Go straight up the hill and you can't miss San Cristobel, then you can walk over to El Morrow. It is very easy to do both on your own and in a few hours. It is 3$ for one fort or 5$ for both. If you have a National Park Membership card, bring it along and it is free. THen the walk after is downhill. There is a really nice walk along the bottom of El Morrow, just go thru the old city wall gate on your way back down from El Morrow.

For some the uphill climb in the heat is not so easy. But, never fear there is a free trolley with numerous stops along the way. Can board across the street from the ship terminal, or if you start walking up and get tired there are numerous stops along the way. If you have a whole day you can easily see both forts. They are within walking distance of each other, or again you can trolley from one to the other. Have fun! It is a great town to explore.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile apb

They are both well worth seeing. If it's summer and the humidity is high, it can be miserable, but during the winter months the weather is much nicer and if you are in decent shape easily walkable to both. Bring lots of water if it's hot out, though.

El Morro has lovely sea views (be sure to check out the restrooms!) but San Cristobal has a great view back over the ships. Lots of creepy tunnels and dungeons in there. It's very inexpensive to get in and you can buy the pass that lets you into both for around $5pp or use a national parks passport if you have one.

On our last trip, we walked to San Cristobal first, then over to El Morro, then back toward the ship for shopping and lunch before we had to be back onboard. Old San Juan is really a great city to explore.

Do you think 7 hours in port will be enough to visit the Bacardi Factor and visit the fort?? :confused:

Yes, are you planning to take the water taxi over to the factory? It's the best way to do it and the water taxi ride is fun. I would go to the factory first, then do the forts so you don't accidently spend too much time there and get stuck. Is your port stop during the day, or is it one where you dock at 3? The forts do close at 5, but you can still see them after 5, ust from the outside.

Yes, are you planning to take the water taxi over to the factory? It's the best way to do it and the water taxi ride is fun. I would go to the factory first, then do the forts so you don't accidently spend too much time there and get stuck. Is your port stop during the day, or is it one where you dock at 3? The forts do close at 5, but you can still see them after 5, ust from the outside.

Yes, we are doing the factory first and we are taking the water taxi :) We are going to be in San Juan from 7am until 2pm.

Yes, we are doing the factory first and we are taking the water taxi :) We are going to be in San Juan from 7am until 2pm.

You should be fine then! We really didn't enjoy the factory that much, it is kind of over rated, but I think it's one of those things you just have to go to. :D It's all a fake mock up of the factory for the tour part, I guess they used to let you actually go in the real factory, but no more. interesting though. Also they will tell you buying rum them is cheaper, but it's not. They also told people that some fancy high priced rum was only for sale in their store but we saw it in the airport.

Have Fun San Juan is a great port!

You should be fine then! We really didn't enjoy the factory that much, it is kind of over rated, but I think it's one of those things you just have to go to. :D It's all a fake mock up of the factory for the tour part, I guess they used to let you actually go in the real factory, but no more. interesting though. Also they will tell you buying rum them is cheaper, but it's not. They also told people that some fancy high priced rum was only for sale in their store but we saw it in the airport.

Have Fun San Juan is a great port!

Funny that you mention that about the factory lol because I really don't want to do it, but my husband does...and I figured since he always leaves the excursions up to me, and he mentioned how he wanted to do the factory, I couldn't say no :)

What time does the factory open? We are there those hours and not really sure what to do before the forts open at 9:00. Just won't be in a rush I guess.

What time does the factory open? We are there those hours and not really sure what to do before the forts open at 9:00. Just won't be in a rush I guess.

Good point...I guess we won't be in a rush either :) Does anyone know if there is shopping nearby she ship port by chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me more information on the water taxi to the factory? Cost how often it runs, does it make other stops worth seeing?

Also i read that there is a free trolley to the forts. How do we get information on those?

Thanks for any help!

Not sure of current cost of water taxi but can get info at several places in old sju. There are free trolleys that make numerous stops throughout old san juan. They stop at both forts, they stop across the street from the old san juan and numerous places in between. The old town is not that big so you are pretty much within a couple blocks of a stop wherever you are. The are signs marking the trolley stops and you can get maps showing the stops at several places including the forts. We love to take the trolley to the fort which is the highest point on old san juan, and walk down. Afterall it is vacation :)

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Ps. Be aware that this is not where aos leaves from. The ship leaves from pan american pier and you have to taxi to anyplace from there. There is a separate port for old san juan and tge ships that stop for the day, and for the water taxis.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app