Enough Time? Walking around the harbor front/punda AND Porto Marie?

sailawaybellaluna

Hello,

We will be making our first visit to Curacao in April on board the Vision of the Seas.

I'm wondering if we will have the time to see the Handelskade and leisurely walk around the harborfront (and the Punda area) and then take a taxi to Playa Porto Marie? Is this trying to pack too much in?

We are in port from 7am - 4pm. We're early risers and plan to be off the ship by 8 - 9am at the latest...

Also, I've read that the round-trip taxi fare to Porto Marie is $25/person. Does this apply to our 4 year old as well? Is the drive too far from Porto Marie back to the pier? I'm always nervous about accidentally being a pier runner, so what's the latest we could leave Porto Marie?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

:)

Good day,

If you have a walk around Punda between 08.00 - 10.00 (when it's still nice and cool), you'll have sufficient time to go to Porto Marie. But you can only spend about 2 hours there.

The drive will be around 30 - 45 minutes one way (depending on traffic), so to be on the safe side you have to leave the beach before 2 pm.

What I would do, is go to Porto Marie really early in the morning and get back around 1 pm. Have a change onboard and walk to Punda for a bit. That way you know you're in close proximity of the ship and will not be late for sail away.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I feel like the 30 - 45 minute drive each way to Porto Marie may be more than what we want to spend in the car...

Can you tell me more about Blue Bay? Is there snorkeling there and chairs/umbrellas that can be rented? I'm hoping to do a bit of walk-in snorkeling, and my husband and little boy like to lay in the shade, play in the sand, etc...

I appreciate the input!

Blue Bay is about 10 -15 minutes from port. It's not as pretty as Knip, Cas Abao or Porto Marie, but you sure can have a nice beach day there.

This beach has all amenities.

http://hotel.bluebay-curacao.com/beach

Isa65,

Thank you so much! I think this may be our best option, since we want to explore a lot of the town as well that day...

Do you think I would be successful doing walk-in snorkeling from the beach? Do you have an approximate idea of what the taxi cost would be each way from the Handelskade area?

I appreciate your help!

p.s. I see you're taking off soon on the Victory and the Breeze - my top two favorite ships/cruises I've taken so far!

Isa65,

Thank you so much! I think this may be our best option, since we want to explore a lot of the town as well that day...

Do you think I would be successful doing walk-in snorkeling from the beach? Do you have an approximate idea of what the taxi cost would be each way from the Handelskade area?

I appreciate your help!

p.s. I see you're taking off soon on the Victory and the Breeze - my top two favorite ships/cruises I've taken so far!

My pleasure!

Someone else will have to chime in on the snorkeling part at Blue Bay - haven't done it personally over there. But I'm pretty sure you can, since on their website there is an option to " Explore the beautiful house reefs or go out to sea on a boat dive".

One tip - cross the bridge from the handelskade and come back towards the Riffort Village. You will find a large taxi stand and if you take a cab at this side it will be cheaper than having the driver cross the high bridge.

Last time friends of ours took a cab to Blue Bay from the pier it was $15 each way.

-Yes, we've been on the Victory before and really liked it as well! We've even took the Freedom and gotten off when it reached Curacao. Fun way to come home!:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to give you another option. We always do a day pass at the Hilton. We use all the facilities for about $25.00 each. You and swim in ocean, snorkel. swim in hotel pool, lay in sun or lay under grass hut. You also get a drink with the day pass.

After that we catch a taxi from hotel to the downtown. It is only a 10 minute ride. Do a walk around and the walk back to ship (another 10 minute walk)

Hope this is a option for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to give you another option. We always do a day pass at the Hilton. We use all the facilities for about $25.00 each. You and swim in ocean, snorkel. swim in hotel pool, lay in sun or lay under grass hut. You also get a drink with the day pass.

After that we catch a taxi from hotel to the downtown. It is only a 10 minute ride. Do a walk around and the walk back to ship (another 10 minute walk)

Hope this is a option for you.

Busman723,

Wow, I just checked out the Hilton's website for the Curacao location and it's beautiful! Did you arrange your daypass in advance or just show up? Do you recall what the taxi rate was from downtown?

Thank you!

Since the Hilton is not far from the pier, the taxi should not be more than $15.

Beware that the Hilton beach and pool are very small and if the hotel is full, it can feel very crowded.

There are shaded areas for the little ones. Not my hotel /beach of preference, but if you want to stay nearby this will do.

Since the Hilton is not far from the pier, the taxi should not be more than $15.

Beware that the Hilton beach and pool are very small and if the hotel is full, it can feel very crowded.

There are shaded areas for the little ones. Not my hotel /beach of preference, but if you want to stay nearby this will do.

Thanks ISA65!

I guess at this point I'm torn between the Hilton & Blue Bay. Since we want to spend a good amount of time exploring non-beach areas, I'm just looking for what is convenient...

Thanks ISA65!

I guess at this point I'm torn between the Hilton & Blue Bay. Since we want to spend a good amount of time exploring non-beach areas, I'm just looking for what is convenient...

The Hilton is closer by, but Blue Bay is cheaper... Am I making your life difficult?:D

I would recommend Blue Bay if you're not spending the entire day. Why? Because it's cheaper, only 10 minutes further than Hilton and more relaxing (fewer guests).

HA! Choosing resorts in Curacao is a great kind of "difficult" for sure! Thanks for all the input! I think I've decided if we wrap up exploring the downtown early, we'll head out to Blue Bay. And, if we are a little short on time, we'll stay nearer to the port and hit the Hilton.

I really appreciate the input, and I'm happy to have two feasible options up my sleeve!

Uh oh. I think I may have just gotten myself more confused... :)

I just read a review here in CC and they mentioned going to the Lion's Dive Resort. How does that compare to Blue Bay and Hilton? Also nearby?

Would appreciate any input!

Thank you!!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions....:)

Lion's Dive resort is at the Seaquarium beach. Their pool is fantastic and you have all the amenities of the entire beach (several restaurants, shops, bars, etc).

Taxi ride is $20 one way and takes less than 10 minutes from downtown.

ISA65,

You are such a wealth of information! Thank you for continuing to answer my questions!

Just re-read the thread, and it seems that Lion's Dive, while close to the pier, has the most expensive taxi fare ($20/way). Is that accurate? That being said, it seems Blue Bay is our best bet - $15/way and only $8 for a day pass, right? Just how much farther it that than the Hilton? Do you happen to know?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...