Evening menu on Dream

I am surprised by comments as I thought the food was good when we travelled last summer. The service was excellent and could but fault it. much much better than the buffet. Have sailed on Celebration too but prefer Dream. Looking forward to next one

in July

I am surprised by comments as I thought the food was good when we travelled last summer. The service was excellent and could but fault it. much much better than the buffet. Have sailed on Celebration too but prefer Dream. Looking forward to next one

in July

We were on Dream in February 2013 and thought the food very good then and just as good as our previous three cruises on this ship. But we felt there had been a significant change in November. Although this is only my opinion, we did hear many regulars who also said the same thing i.e. by comparison with previous trips there was a difference in the evening meals in Orion.

Odd that it seems to be Dream and Celebration that seem to be getting the bad food reviews, ships that Thomson control. Whereas Majesty and Spirit that Louis control, don't seem to be having issues with food, in fact are getting good reviews about food quality. Coincidence... :rolleyes: I think not. I noticed this summer on the Dream that cost cutting had definitely been done by Thomson on the food, especially in the Orion.

It just donned on me that when Thomson was touting what Platinum cruising would involve exotic cuisines were mentioned.

Has this been evidenced?

The Grill offers an excellent menu and dining experience so I suppose that might be considered to be part of the Platinum package. I had no problem with the breakfasts or lunch in any of the dining venues and I generally heard that the self service was good too - it's just the evening meal in the Orion where I thought the cost cutting showed so much.

Sailaway, I'm sorry to say that I do agree with you about the difference between the Thomson and Louis managed ships. There's a message there methinks - changes which have been driven by management decisions to cut costs at Thomson. How do Louis manage to provide a better standard? :rolleyes:

Just got my confirmation for my September cruise on Dream and guess what....it states that my Thomson cruise includes .....24 hour dining!! :rolleyes:

:D Left and right hand....................same old...............:rolleyes:

Hi to everyone

On having been on all of the Thomson ships and 15 of them under my belt in 2013 travelled on the Majesty twice and The Dream in September for the third time. Never had such poor food in the MDR. As others have said very little red meat and having to resort to Pasta dishes very unusual of us for an evening meal. Love the short flight to Palma and the itinery the Dream has to offer but was so disappointed with the food I won't be choosing the Dream unless reports on my favourite forum change. Not a patch on The Majesty's food. It's the Celebration for us this year. Let's hope things improve.

Lets hope Thomson's note some of our grievances and do something about it. The menu on the Dream seems to be the same week in week out. I kept the menus for my 3 cruises in 2011,2012 and 2013 and they were practically unchanged. The only veg seemed to be brocolli and carrots.

Lets hope Thomson's note some of our grievances and do something about it. The menu on the Dream seems to be the same week in week out. I kept the menus for my 3 cruises in 2011,2012 and 2013 and they were practically unchanged. The only veg seemed to be brocolli and carrots.

For us it was sprouts and artichoke :eek:

I would also agree that the food on the Dream in April/May last year was not as good as the food on the Dream in February 2012 and certainly not a patch on the food on the Majesty last February.

By the way, just back from a hotel in Madeira and the food there was not good at all - tough meat, very few vegetables (one night none at all except very sloppy "smash" potatoes) no veggie option, no omelettes for breakfast and repetitive puddings.

The fireworks only lasted 10 minutes and according to our taxi driver less lights this year. So it seems, everyone is cutting back :rolleyes:

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi Linda that's a shame, not good enough at all :eek: did you stay at Christmas or just for New Year only?
Hi barnowl, We went for New Year. It was a lovely hotel right on the beach (well big black pebbles :D) just let down by the food :(

I did complain to the Saga rep about the food and strangely enough the food did improve on the last couple of days, don't know if it was a coincidence or maybe a different chef! Anyway a friend who came with us, is still there as he booked a fortnight, so will see when he comes back, if the improvements have continued.

Anyway it was a nice break :)

I'm a little worried about this food development on dream.....friends have just come back, they are also reporting a decline in food quality especially in mdr...... things served on a bed of mash, abundance of quiche, boring curry, soup that all tastes the same, pork wellington? seafood (crab stick) bisque, same old lettuce leaf salad

i am not a great foodie but i am a little perturbed? we are booked on dream in march:( hope it improves

I'm a little worried about this food development on dream.....friends have just come back, they are also reporting a decline in food quality especially in mdr...... things served on a bed of mash, abundance of quiche, boring curry, soup that all tastes the same, pork wellington? seafood (crab stick) bisque, same old lettuce leaf salad

i am not a great foodie but i am a little perturbed? we are booked on dream in march:( hope it improves

Yes, it's a worry geo..................that's why I'm asking for feedback and am hopeful of getting some better reports. I really don't want to jump ship!

Having read your P&O review and looking at the pictures though, and your description of the food, it should be making worrying reading for Thomson too especially since the b-2-b this month were going at £999 for some sailing dates on P&O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we are off on the dream in just over 3 weeks so hope the food is OK after all the talk I gave my sister about how fantastic the food on Thomson cruises is and she is coming with us. Its her first cruise so please Thomson don't let me down or I will never hear the end of it.

Well we are off on the dream in just over 3 weeks so hope the food is OK after all the talk I gave my sister about how fantastic the food on Thomson cruises is and she is coming with us. Its her first cruise so please Thomson don't let me down or I will never hear the end of it.

Exactly what I am thinking, Shirley. I won't go hungry but DH will moan if the food is not as good as on Majesty. :eek: Will be looking out for your comments when you come back.

Yes, it's a worry geo..................that's why I'm asking for feedback and am hopeful of getting some better reports. I really don't want to jump ship!

Having read your P&O review and looking at the pictures though, and your description of the food, it should be making worrying reading for Thomson too especially since the b-2-b this month were going at £999 for some sailing dates on P&O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some good prices at P&O at the moment. Was looking at a fly cruise before. Under £2,000 for two for a balcony! Works out £100 cheaper than Thomson with an inside cabin. Got to say I'm tempted.