POA getting off ship in Hilo and rejoining on Kona

lostone65

Our son lives on Hilo and we were thinking of staying with him for the night when we dock in Hilo and then rejoining the ship on Kona the next afternoon. If the lava isn't flowing there really isn't anything special to see on the overnight trip from Hilo to Kona and it would give us over 24 hours to spend with him.

My question is.... Will NCL and the POA allow this? I would of course let them know in advance so they don't think we have missed the ship.

Our son lives on Hilo and we were thinking of staying with him for the night when we dock in Hilo and then rejoining the ship on Kona the next afternoon. If the lava isn't flowing there really isn't anything special to see on the overnight trip from Hilo to Kona and it would give us over 24 hours to spend with him.

My question is.... Will NCL and the POA allow this? I would of course let them know in advance so they don't think we have missed the ship.

Talk to NCL , being strictly in Hawaii it shouldn't make any difference to NCL.

Talk to NCL , being strictly in Hawaii it shouldn't make any difference to NCL.

I asked NCL and was not comfortable with the hesitant response I received. I was hoping someone had actually done the same thing before and had first hand knowledge.

I agree, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem, but I try not to assume things as it generally gets me in trouble :D

Seems like it should work but I'd be nervous if NCL was hesitant. I'd call back a couple times & see if the answer is the same. Seems like since they overnight in Maui & Kauai it wouldn't matter if you weren't on board.

I'm sure I saw this situation on the Hawaii board. The guy started a thread about it before hand, and then added more info after he had done it. I believe he simply advised them once in port that he would rejoin the ship in Kona. Lots of good info in that thread if you can find it.

Edit: I found it. The Somewhat Definitive Guide to Skipping a Port on the POA from 05-06-2013 by brrrdog. I'd post a link, but I can't.

Edited by punkincc

When we were on the POA in 2007, we stayed at the Marriott in Kaanapali the night the POA docked in Maui. We left the ship at 8 am and didn't return until time to sail the next day. No one batted an eye. Now, yours is a little different, in that the ship isn't docked over night in Hilo, but I can't see why it would be a problem. I would tell someone when you leave the ship in Hilo though, so they are not looking for you at last boarding time.

I'm sure I saw this situation on the Hawaii board. The guy started a thread about it before hand, and then added more info after he had done it. I believe he simply advised them once in port that he would rejoin the ship in Kona. Lots of good info in that thread if you can find it.

Edit: I found it. The Somewhat Definitive Guide to Skipping a Port on the POA from 05-06-2013 by brrrdog. I'd post a link, but I can't.

Thank you!!! I will head over there and check it out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Aloha, good luck to you. However, I disagree with you about a special site on the overnight trip. If you cruise around the south end of the island, you can see my house about 04:45. I will greet you with Kona Coffee!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aloha, good luck to you. However, I disagree with you about a special site on the overnight trip. If you cruise around the south end of the island, you can see my house about 04:45. I will greet you with Kona Coffee!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well goodness I had no idea we would be that close to your house! Well that solves the issue I'm staying on the ship :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app