Buck Island snorkeling tours offered on the spot at the port?

mlbcruiser

When arriving in many caribbean ports, shore and boat excursions are often offered at tour kiosks or by tour reps standing around. We have used some of them from time to time. The ship's excursions and tour companies offering trips to snorkel at Buck Island all seem to be running around $99 or thereabouts. We would like to snorkel Buck Is., but would like to do it for less. So can anyone tell me if we'll be likely to find offerings on the spot when we arrive that are less pricey?

We don't need a lunch or beach stop and so forth. Actually, we'd like to have time left over to putz around seeing things on land or or just getting a local cab to show us around a bit.

Also, how much time does it take the avg. boat to get to the snorkeling areas of Buck Island?

Thanks for any info!

• 4 weeks later...

The tours to Buck Island are limited to specific operators by the US National Park Service.

Big Beard's 1/2 day tour was $70 per person, and I think all the competitors came in around the same rate.

Transport in shared shuttle vans to Christianstead is at a set rate of $16 per person round trip.

So you do save some money to do it on your own, and can also choose your tour operator.

Buck Island is 6 miles off shore from Christianstead.

The transport back and forth is on shuttles, but you could probably find a private taxi to do this also, not sure about rates. You could putz around in C'sted or shuttle back to the port and putz around there. :)

Thanks for replying and the good info, Ottocal. Had sort of given up that anyone would answer!

Can you tell me approximately how long it takes to reach Christianstead from Frederickstead? If we did a half day snorkel we would need to make sure we could make it to Christianstead in time.

25 minutes driving time.

We did the morning 1/2 day snorkel thorough Big Beards from Adventure of the Seas on a Saturday. We had plenty of time to get there, but you do have to get up early!

The snorkel outfits know that there are people coming from the cruise ships and so their times are arranged for that.

For example, I think we had something like an 8 am arrival at St. Croix, and we got off between 8-8:15, walked to the shuttle stand, bought shuttle tix, waited maybe 5-10 minutes for the shuttle to fill, then the ride in the van, checked in and paid at Big Beards, and were still on the dock well ahead of when we needed to be there and never felt rushed, except when we were passing all the people who were already lined up on the pier waiting on their ship-sponsored tours. :rolleyes: And that was mostly just wanting to get past them and their signs...

I think the snorkel tour was maybe 9:30-12:30, which worked out just fine.

Edited by OttoCal
more info

That is definitely the info. I needed to know. Now we need to decide if we want to do it. We have independent excursions on both sides of our day in St. Croix involving snorkeling, but not really GOOD snorkeling. I so wish we didn't have to decide so far in advance, but am afraid if we wait til we are on the ship and try to book w/ Big Beard, he might not see the email in time (as stated on the website). So - decide now and wake up early. Or - rent a car and just drive around visiting things on St. Croix.

I have come across some beaches mentioned for snorkeling that we might be able to stop at if we don't go w/Big Beard. Still, Buck Is. is quite famous and I'd hate to miss a really good snorkeling spot. :confused: We are a little bit jaded when it comes to snorkeling as we've done it in some amazing places that are far from the caribbean, as well as in the caribbean, but you never know ... everything from storms to time of day can affect just how good a site is at any given time.

Thanks again for the info!

That is definitely the info. I needed to know. Now we need to decide if we want to do it. We have independent excursions on both sides of our day in St. Croix involving snorkeling, but not really GOOD snorkeling. I so wish we didn't have to decide so far in advance, but am afraid if we wait til we are on the ship and try to book w/ Big Beard, he might not see the email in time (as stated on the website). So - decide now and wake up early. Or - rent a car and just drive around visiting things on St. Croix.

I have come across some beaches mentioned for snorkeling that we might be able to stop at if we don't go w/Big Beard. Still, Buck Is. is quite famous and I'd hate to miss a really good snorkeling spot. :confused: We are a little bit jaded when it comes to snorkeling as we've done it in some amazing places that are far from the caribbean, as well as in the caribbean, but you never know ... everything from storms to time of day can affect just how good a site is at any given time.

Thanks again for the info!

We did the half day with Big Beards last week. It was the best snorkeling we had on our cruise. But admittedly even the crew said we got a great day- it was sunny and fairly calm. It wasn't the best snorkeling we've ever had - we've had better in Riviera Maya and Hawaii - but there was a nice variety of fish and I was glad we did it. Although the actual snorkeling at the reef part is not very long - maybe an hour? The rest is traveling to Buck Island and stopping at Turtle Beach, which is beautiful by the way.

I don't know what day you're in St. Croix, but if you're there on a Sunday like we were, there is not much to do or see, I thought. We wandered around that afternoon and it was pretty quiet. I did look into renting a car and trying some of the off beach snorkeling possibilities instead of Big Beards. I wasn't sold on the snorkeling quality, but if you do it, be sure and post a report in case we are ever back in St. Croix. :)

When we went, there was one couple who got on our same shuttle and were just walk-ins at Big Beards. No reservation. They were accommodated with no problem, and the catamaran wasn't full. I wouldn't worry about it. They didn't even know to to Big Beards, they just hooked up with us.

I am sure if BB was full they would send you to one of the other tour operators.

You could also check in with them and see if they normally have space for walk ons. While I am sure they 'want' you to have reservations, they also want your business and want to be able to accommodate as many guests as possible.

carolslc, we will be in St. Croix on a Friday. I spoke to a vendor at work the other day. She mentioned walking around Christianstead, going to the rain forest (we have seen a couple of rainforests, but if we are there w/time ...), and a couple of restaurants that are good places to stop for lunch. She said there are some really some NICE homes to drive by and stopping at a beach to snorkel or swim would be nice, too. She goes to St. Croix for 3 wks. at a time now and then and says her husband ALWAYS goes to Buck Island once on those trips. She also recommended going to a resort on Buck Island (The Buccaneer? I may have my islands mixed up - ? I didn't realize there were any resorts on Buck Is!)

We have a couple of other full day boat/snorkeling trips on our cruise, so it's a decision that I am having trouble with. Wish I knew ahead of time if the water will be "stirred up" from wind or anything on the day we are there. That was one of the main reasons I was hoping we could book something after arriving in St. Croix at some tourist info. desk or something. It would seem there would possibly be a company or two that had a license to visit Buck Island that took bookings on the spot, but I guess not.

How was the ride out to the island? Fun and scenic, fairly comfortable w/enough space for the # of passengers or a very basic, crowded and not necessarily that pleasant way to get out to the area?

This is a tough decision! Normally it wouldn't be, but we have at least 2, maybe 3, other all day boating excursions at other islands. 2 of them already booked. They add up - $$$! Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for your help.

carolslc - we will be there on a Sunday as well - was it both Frederiksted and Christiansted that were very quiet? Do you mean like no shops open, etc?

A few shops open in both places, but not a lot. 2-3 boardwalk restaurants were open in Christiansted. Frederiksted by the pier had the usual assortment of temporary tents with souvenirs.

Carol

carolslc, we will be in St. Croix on a Friday. I spoke to a vendor at work the other day. She mentioned walking around Christianstead, going to the rain forest (we have seen a couple of rainforests, but if we are there w/time ...), and a couple of restaurants that are good places to stop for lunch. She said there are some really some NICE homes to drive by and stopping at a beach to snorkel or swim would be nice, too. She goes to St. Croix for 3 wks. at a time now and then and says her husband ALWAYS goes to Buck Island once on those trips. She also recommended going to a resort on Buck Island (The Buccaneer? I may have my islands mixed up - ? I didn't realize there were any resorts on Buck Is!)

We have a couple of other full day boat/snorkeling trips on our cruise, so it's a decision that I am having trouble with. Wish I knew ahead of time if the water will be "stirred up" from wind or anything on the day we are there. That was one of the main reasons I was hoping we could book something after arriving in St. Croix at some tourist info. desk or something. It would seem there would possibly be a company or two that had a license to visit Buck Island that took bookings on the spot, but I guess not.

How was the ride out to the island? Fun and scenic, fairly comfortable w/enough space for the # of passengers or a very basic, crowded and not necessarily that pleasant way to get out to the area?

This is a tough decision! Normally it wouldn't be, but we have at least 2, maybe 3, other all day boating excursions at other islands. 2 of them already booked. They add up - $$$! Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for your help.

The boat ride was not crowded and was very pleasant and scenic, I thought. As someone else said, there's probably a good chance that Big Beard's could fit you in at least on the half day if you just show up that morning after you look at the weather. There would have been room for more people on our boat on the half day. For the full day, they would have to have enough food for you for the lunch so I don't know if that one is possible. You could always ask if that's your preference. I thought Buck Island was uninhabited - I'd be surprised if the Buccaneer is on there. Have fun!