Ages for StingRay City (5-6?)

terryb235

We are taking the Mariner of the Seas Western Carribean cruise in August with a stop in Grand Cayman. I've read all the great reviews of Sting Ray City, but none mention kids.

I have a 5 and 6 year old, both pretty strong swimmers. How appropriate is the tour for the kids? If anyone has brought kids on the tour, did they go in the water or were they afraid of the rays?

-terry-

My 4 year old triplet nephews were a little shy at first, but the guides at Soto's cruises were great about getting them comfortable with the rays. They even kissed the rays for good luck!.

Our kids 8 &10 had a great time. We did the tour through Capt. Bryans. We stopped at a sand bar (about 3 feet deep) for the sting ray part and two snorkle stops. There were kids in the 5 to 6 year old range on th excursion with us. They did well also. My 8 year old did not want to snorkle and I felt comfortable letting her stay on the boat (I could see her the whole time) while we snorkled right next to the boat. She got in with the sting rays briefly. The water was very calm while we were there, it is so easy to snorkle and float around. It was our favorite day.:)

If anyone has brought kids on the tour, did they go in the water or were they afraid of the rays?

We took our 4 yr. old son with us on Capt. Bryan's, and he loved it. He had his life vest on, and was a little intimidated/afraid by the rays at first. But, he did better the longer we were there.

• 2 weeks later...
Our kids 8 &10 had a great time. We did the tour through Capt. Bryans. We stopped at a sand bar (about 3 feet deep) for the sting ray part and two snorkle stops. There were kids in the 5 to 6 year old range on th excursion with us. They did well also. My 8 year old did not want to snorkle and I felt comfortable letting her stay on the boat (I could see her the whole time) while we snorkled right next to the boat. She got in with the sting rays briefly. The water was very calm while we were there, it is so easy to snorkle and float around. It was our favorite day.:)

Does the water depth at the sand bar pretty much stay the same at all times of the year? Has everyone experienced the 3 foot depth, does it change at all witht he tide? Just wondering if my 5 year old daughter will be able to touch bottom at all on her own. Thanks!

We did the Capt. Marvins trip last November and the water was only 3-3.5 ft where we were on the sandbar. My six year old spent the majority of the stingray part on my sholders as he was a little timid regarding the rays. The snorkle stops were fantastic. Our son did great and loved every minute of it. We will be aboard Capt. Marvins boat again on Dec 1.

Archived