Co-ed hamams (Turkish Bath) in Istanbul? (Or Budapest)

Considering a trip that includes Istanbul and thought it would be interesting to visit a hamam (turkish bath). However, I imagine most are gender-segregated. I'd want to share the experience with my wife, so that's out.

Are there any co-ed hamams in Istanbul? Even "for tourists" ones, perhaps in a luxury hotel?

Failing that, it seems like Budapest has a very large number of spas--I bet Cruise Mom could tell me the historical explanation. Are any of those co-ed? Budapest isn't super high on my list of places to visit--but the occasional pictures I see of Budapest's spas are beautiful. I

Developed a fondness for spas after having a spa pass for the Carnival Dream's Cloud 9 spa. The Cloud 9 spas are the only ones I know of at sea where *all* common areas (like multiple steam rooms, heated loungers, thassalo pool, etc) are co-ed. Others seem to have a single, small co-ed area, like one whirlpool.

Failing co-ed spas in Istanbul and Budapest, where else in the world can I find co-ed spas with a large number of interesting common rooms? It's one of those things I would / could add to a trip that would make it special if I knew it was there.

Someone posted a large number of photos from the Carnival Dream's Cloud 9 spa here. It really is a wonderful place to pass time. Never thought of myself as a spa person (in fact, had never visited one) before this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721126&page=2

Edited by mikeerdas
Added link to Cloud 9 photos / review

• 2 weeks later...
In the following thread it's claimed there's only one co-ed hammam in Istanbul:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d1631821-r115328242-Suleymaniye_Hamam-Istanbul.html

My husband and I traveled to Istanbul a few years ago and wanted to do something different. We asked at our hotel about a Turkish bath and Suleymaniye_Hamam was recommended. I'm not sure if this is the only

co-ed hamam in Istanbul but I believe it is the oldest and we had a fun time. They put you both in a small changing room, provide an outfit to wear and send you off to the hot marble slab. Thank goodness there was another person in the room because we had no idea what to do or how long to stay. After sweating up a storm two guys took us both to another room where we got a massage, body and hair wash. Very relaxing. Finished off the afternoon there with a cup of Turkish tea.

Going back to Turkey and plan to go to another Turkish bath in Kusadasi.

Go and enjoy this once in a lifetime experience, you'll talk about forever and take your camera. :)

Pat

My husband and I traveled to Istanbul a few years ago and wanted to do something different. We asked at our hotel about a Turkish bath and Suleymaniye_Hamam was recommended. I'm not sure if this is the only

co-ed hamam in Istanbul but I believe it is the oldest and we had a fun time. They put you both in a small changing room, provide an outfit to wear and send you off to the hot marble slab. Thank goodness there was another person in the room because we had no idea what to do or how long to stay. After sweating up a storm two guys took us both to another room where we got a massage, body and hair wash. Very relaxing. Finished off the afternoon there with a cup of Turkish tea.

Going back to Turkey and plan to go to another Turkish bath in Kusadasi.

Go and enjoy this once in a lifetime experience, you'll talk about forever and take your camera. :)

Pat

Thanks Pat!

My wife and I have visited several Hammams in different Turkish destinations and have enjoyed each one.

Our last visit was in Marmaris, when there were also some French customers, who kept their bathing costumes on, which seems to be frowned upon, as not getting full cleansing benefit.

One French man seemed to upset the 'Turk' as he kept getting slapped with the towel.

My wife and I just used the provided towels / sheets and had a great experience.

There are various extras like a full body oil massage, which I had. I don't think I became a new man because of it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in Cloud 9, but I imagine that Princess's Thermal Suite might be similar. It has a gentle steam room, more intense steam room, aromatherapy room, hot stone loungers, and rainforest showers, all co-ed.

My husband and I enjoyed Szechenyi Baths in Budapest. The entry and locker process described in Rick Steves was spot-on.

Iceland is a wonderful place for thermal spas. In addition to the Blue Lagoon, we enjoyed a visit to Laugardalslaug in Laugardalur Park in Reykjavik. It was co-ed.