St John Coastal cruise

fraternal

We have done that 2 times from the Summit. The best was last year when we went to Honeymoon Beach. We took a cab but it is an easy walk from the NPS Headquarters in Cruz Bay. There were about 6 of us on the beach last year with about 50 boats anchored offshore. There were chair rentals and food available last year. Enjoy.

I have this booked for November and was curious as well about free time - we have also considered the taxi to Trunk Bay.

Mouse84 - Was it easy to get a taxi to take you there and back? How many of you were there? I was worried about the amount of time to get a taxi there and back and not miss the return ferry! I have also heard the taxis are the safari style bus and might not just take 2 people although I do not know how accurate this is. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Jo :)

We just did this in November. The captain of the ferry points you to the right taxis once you dock. They do need 6-8 passengers but fill up from the ferry passengers. It only takes 15 min to get to Trunk Bay, and that included 3 stops on the way for pictures. When you're done at trunk bay, just go in the parking lot and there are tons of taxis to drive you back. The cost is fixed and posted in the taxis.

Trunk Bay was the most stunning beach Ive ever been too. There are nice clean bathrooms, showers, changing rooms, souvenier shop and a place to get lunch.

On a side note, there was another couple in the taxi who said last year they did the island's ferry on their own to St John and it was the same cost with alot more time wasted.

Enjoy!!

We just did this in November. The captain of the ferry points you to the right taxis once you dock. They do need 6-8 passengers but fill up from the ferry passengers. It only takes 15 min to get to Trunk Bay, and that included 3 stops on the way for pictures. When you're done at trunk bay, just go in the parking lot and there are tons of taxis to drive you back. The cost is fixed and posted in the taxis.

Trunk Bay was the most stunning beach Ive ever been too. There are nice clean bathrooms, showers, changing rooms, souvenier shop and a place to get lunch.

On a side note, there was another couple in the taxi who said last year they did the island's ferry on their own to St John and it was the same cost with alot more time wasted.

Enjoy!!

This is fantastic information, thank you so much for posting! I have seen the pictures and I am just hoping we have a lovely day to enjoy it!

<snip>I have also heard the taxis are the safari style bus and might not just take 2 people although I do not know how accurate this is. I hope you don't mind me asking.

The open air safari taxis are great for sightseeing. I've spent a lot of time on St. John, and took my mom during a cruise. We (along with two fellow cruisers from our ship) negotiated the rate with a driver. We paid him more and just the four of us had a wonderful sightseeing tour of St. John. Our driver was great- very friendly, sharing his knowledge and love for the island.

fraternal, you may enjoy checking out the St. Thomas/St. John Ports of Call forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133.

The open air safari taxis are great for sightseeing. I've spent a lot of time on St. John, and took my mom during a cruise. We (along with two fellow cruisers from our ship) negotiated the rate with a driver. We paid him more and just the four of us had a wonderful sightseeing tour of St. John. Our driver was great- very friendly, sharing his knowledge and love for the island.

fraternal, you may enjoy checking out the St. Thomas/St. John Ports of Call forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133.

That is really good to know, thank you. I don't think Mum and I would mind paying more to have a private tour! We have the coastal cruise in the morning and are really looking forward to the free time to explore St John.

We were on top of mt and looked down on Kenny Chesney's home. Really cool trip in open air bus.

Not to take away from the spectacular scenery, but there is shopping/dining available at Mongoose Junction in Cruz Bay (about a five minute walk from the ferry dock), and Wharfside Village just a few steps from the dock. You'll find locally made artwork, unique gifts, clothing, jewelry.

Jo24 - It was VERY easy. Once off the ferry, we were pointed to the taxis. They filled them up as people got off the ferry (for anyone who wanted to go to trunk bay). There were 2 in our party. On the way there, we shared a taxi with 2 other people. On the way back, we had a full taxi (8 people). I don't remember the cost of the taxi, but have cash on you for the trip. (I want to say $5 per person, but I could be way off on this, as it was my husband who paid.)

When they drop you off, they tell you where to pick up the taxis to go back to the ferry. Super easy.

Edited by mouse84

Jo24 - It was VERY easy. Once off the ferry, we were pointed to the taxis. They filled them up as people got off the ferry (for anyone who wanted to go to trunk bay). There were 2 in our party. On the way there, we shared a taxi with 2 other people. On the way back, we had a full taxi (8 people). I don't remember the cost of the taxi, but have cash on you for the trip. (I want to say $5 per person, but I could be way off on this, as it was my husband who paid.)

When they drop you off, they tell you where to pick up the taxis to go back to the ferry. Super easy.

Brilliant, this is fantastic, thank you. I am very excited about going to St John and definitely am not missing out on Trunk Bay!

I should also mention, because Trunk Bay is part of the US National Park Service, there is an entrance fee. Well worth it! Here's the information from the NPS site:

"There is no charge for entrance into Virgin Islands National Park. However, a same-day user fee is collected at TrunkBay. Children age 16 and under are admitted free; adults, $4; individual annual pass, $10; family annual pass, $15; Golden Age and Golden Access annual cardholders are admitted half price."

Since they are part of the NPS, if you collect the passport stamps, they do have the stamps available at the location you pay the entry fee.