Cash

mlogan177

We prepay the DSC and some excursions. We do not drink alcohol. Last year we put $300 cash on our account when we checked in. There was no problem at all, and the last night we got a small refund, We were on an 11 day cruise, and the $300 was for both of us.

Edited by rbrugler

Until recently, their site claimed that "$100 per person per day" was required, but when I went on the Epic last year, I only put $150 total on my account and they didn't say a word about it.

I believe I read on here a while back that they have since changed the "$100 per day per person" line on their website, but I cannot tell you what it has been changed to.*

However, they did allow cash last year and didn't make me put any specified amount down.

I had prepaid my DSC, though. So if you have not prepaid your DSC, then you will at least have to put enough cash down to cover that... plus any extra that you would like to spend.

* I went to the NCL site and this is what is there now:

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures

You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

Not sure how firm they will be with these amounts... since they did not enforce the old "$100 per day per person" rule.

I normally give my credit card number at the begining of the cruise and then pay cash before getting off the ship. No problems, no credit card charges.:D

THAT makes things much easier.

Yes, but as the OP also mentioned a debit card, it is worth mentioning the caveats of using a debit card for shipboard accounts - particularly the potential for extended holds on funds available.

Yes, but as the OP also mentioned a debit card, it is worth mentioning the caveats of using a debit card for shipboard accounts - particularly the potential for extended holds on funds available.

I highly recommend against using a debit card! The holds can take up to 30 days to clear your account. The $300 per person for 7 day cruise is for the cards with charging privileges.

In our case only DH and I are making an onboard account deposit. The kids cards will not have charging abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last cruise and will be doing it again on this next one, I called NCL and had the amount I wanted for my on board account added to my account. When we got to the port they still asked for a card to be on file. At the end of the cruise I was short by just over $67 which I paid with my card. I also had paid my DSC before hand.

I believe the port wanted my card because they didn't have a way to know if we had cash on board or not. I have also heard that people have been asked to put enough cash to cover the DSC.

If you want to pay your on board account with cash I would just give them your card and pay off your balance every couple days or so with cash.