Newbie here!

Hi everyone,

I'm obviously new here and not sure where to Start. My husband and I went on Majesty 20 years ago and then in November we went to Nassau. Great time, but we would have liked to have met more people. We only had one couple at our table and they were nice, but nothing in common with us and not very exciting. The table behind us was all French people and there was lots of conversation and more excitement. We wished we could have been there!

I thought if I got on this BB we could get better information on dining and meeting people. We can't leave home for more than a few days, so the trip to Nassau was perfect and we plan on doing it again. I'll end here.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The place to go to meet people is the Roll Call section. Here's a link to Royal's roll call section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

You first find your ship, then find the date of your cruise. These are the folks on your specific cruise.

We find that a good way to meet folks in in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. We ask to be seated with tables of other people and enjoy the conversations with the new group each meal.

We often see them around ship later and will join them for a drink or chat. :)

Pick My Time Dining(MTD) for dinner, and ask to be seated with other people, but not at the table each night. The result= new dining companions each night.

Also, participate in the more intimate offerings on board like a craft class, or towel folding class, something like that - there are typically a handful of people in the class, which is small enough to meet new people.

Also, go on ship excursions - you will meet new people while on excursion.

Enjoy!

Hi everyone,

I thought if I got on this BB we could get better information on dining and meeting people. We can't leave home for more than a few days, so the trip to Nassau was perfect and we plan on doing it again. I'll end here.

Good luck I find this to be hit or miss. I've done the breakfast thing & barely got any "hellos." My first cruise (small boat in the Great Barrier Reef) was the only one where there was any "meeting" - but that I think had to do with the fact that the ship wasn't the size of the city & did not hold 1,000+ people...

My second cruise was on Royal & we met people in the game room... (I never saw anyone in the Carnival game room...)

Welcome to CC!

Here's my advice, smile and try this "where are you folks from?":D. Start at muster drill (but only during the part where they aren't making announcements of course!) and keep doing it every where you go! Very quickly, you'll determine if the conversation flows, or if it kind of stops. If things are going great, try to make some plans for a pre dinner drink, or mention if you will be trying an activity or show where they may want to join you.

I find the interactive game shows and trivia are fun places to meet new people, you can join a group that looks friendly to play along with. We also go to shows early, tend to sit in a similar area, and I always strike up conversations with the folks around me. We tend to see the same folks in that section at other shows too.

Here's a hint DH and I use (it only took us 25 years to figure this out, because we'd meet a lovely couple and walk away and I'd say "what were their names again?" And he'd say, I thought YOU remembered the names! " :rolleyes:)

So now, but he generally remembers the guys name and I remember the girls names (but if we meet a gay couple or sisters one of us is on the hook for both, but at least we know who should remember! ;))

Good luck! We've met so many nice people and a couple of good friends while cruising, I hope you do too!

Edited by Familygoboston

Here's a hint DH and I use (it only took us 25 years to figure this out, because we'd meet a lovely couple and walk away and I'd say "what were their names again?" And he'd say, I thought YOU remembered the names! " :rolleyes:)

So now, but he generally remembers the guys name and I remember the girls names (but if we meet a gay couple or sisters one of us is on the hook for both, but at least we know who should remember! ;))

My sneaky trick is calling cards. Not the telephone ones, but an updated version of the ones people used until the 60s. Just business cards with less information on them; whatever you're willing to share with strangers. I've got a set with full personal info on them (name, address, phone, email address, etc) and one with just name and email address. And, of course, the back's blank for anything else you or the recipient wants to write on them.

Came in very handy once, when one of my cards was found in a lost passport; no way to contact the fellow that lost the passport, based on what he'd had in it (forgot to fill out the form in pencil like it said to), but my card was in it, and contacting me got the passport back to the right person the next day.