late flight post cruise.. how to kill time?

hlb76

We have a late flight (4:55pm) out of NOLA post cruise. We of course dont want to head to the airport and sit all day. We want to make the est of our time there and explore. I figure its it's nice we will walk around the Quarter and Jackson Square. If its not I'm not sure what to do.

We of course will have all of our luggage but if I recall there is a service who will transfer it to the airport for us.

That baggage service is just outside of the customs area of the terminal. They will take your luggage and deliver it to the airport. It's a short walk (or an even shorter ride on the Riverfront trolley) to the French Quarter.

You can download FQ maps and free walking tours, and that's a good way to explore, if the weather cooperates. There are lots of good places to eat lunch, and to just hang around. Street musicians will be playing on Royal Street. We often grab a beer and sit on the curb and listen.

If the weather is a problem, there is a movie theatre in One Canal Place, the aquarium is a great place to visit, and there is an IMAX theatre next door.

Thanks... Ive never used the riverfront streetcar so Ive been trying to figure out where to catch it an stuff. Can we walk from the cruise port out? I swear I read once you can't. Maybe they say you just dont want to haul luggage and we will not be doing that.

Thanks... Ive never used the riverfront streetcar so Ive been trying to figure out where to catch it an stuff. Can we walk from the cruise port out? I swear I read once you can't. Maybe they say you just dont want to haul luggage and we will not be doing that.

I think you can just walk out the Julia St exit from the port.

The river front streetcar I know used to run from the Hilton hotel to close to the end of the French Quarter. You could ride to the end and count the blocks to walk back. There are several large hotels around, like the Marriott 614 Canal that you could just call 800-228-9290 and ask if they furnish a shuttle service to the airport and how much it cost and make arrangements, or just catch a cab to the airport. Be better if had another couple to share cost of cab.

The previous post here gave good recommendations. Restaurants, I like Luke's at 333 St. Charles, but most all restaurants that have been open for a time in New Orleans are good or they can't stay open. NOLA, and several others. Central Grocery has good sandwichs and close to Jackson Square and Cafe de Mond.

Most all of these are walking distance from Julia St, but maybe 15 blocks to Jackson Sq.--Find a map of the French quarter and take a picture of it and refer to it in your phone as you navigate.

You can definately walk out of the pier. As you get out there is the riverfront trolley line and the station is nearby or you could walk to the right towards the Hilton.

Get a $3 all day pass from the trolley driver which is good on all buses and trolleys so you can hop on and off at will. Study the routes online and try to print one out beforehand as it is next to impossible to find a public transportation map in the city

We have a similar situation so these suggestions are good. We're also arriving on cruise day at the airport at 9am and our boarding pass says we should arrive for the cruise at 2:30. So interested in the opposite question. Is there a way to get your luggage to the port and then have time to explore some of NOLA, grab lunch, etc?

We have a similar situation so these suggestions are good. We're also arriving on cruise day at the airport at 9am and our boarding pass says we should arrive for the cruise at 2:30. So interested in the opposite question. Is there a way to get your luggage to the port and then have time to explore some of NOLA, grab lunch, etc?

Cruise lines used to have a travel pac that you put your cabin baggage tags on your luggage and they picked it up at the airport and delivered it to the cabin. If you have to buy a transportation package then you would be delivered to the port and you could then kill a few hours in the FQ. You would want to put a cabin tag on your carry on also so you didn't have to drag it around. Just a thought for you to check on.

If your plane lands arounf 9:00, then by the time you get to the port the worst of the traffic from disembarkation will be over. You can check luggage with the porters and spend the rest of the morning exploring.

There are plenty of things to do in the French Quarter while waiting for you flight . World famous for its cafe' au lait, beignets and people watching is Cafe Du Monde. Across the street tour Saint Louis Cathedral is the oldest Cathedral in North America, founded 1720. Take a Mule-drawn carriages can be boarded on the Decatur Street side of Jackson Square almost any hour of the day to tour the French Quarter. Another famous French Quarter establishment is Pat O'Briens HURRICANE an adult beverage. Take a ghost tour of New Orleans if you can find one that leaves early enough.

I hope that helps a bit.