Salerno to Sorrento Transportation

realnice46

We will be docking in Salerno in early May and wish to go to Sorrento on our own.

I don't seem to be able to find information on either taking a boat , bus or train or what I do find seems only to be in Italian.

It was always much easier from Naples. Any suggestions?

Early May might be too early for the seasonal boat service, and they generally don't post anything on the web in advance.

This is the web site for the Salerno port where you can check for info as the season gets closer: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?client=tmpg&depth=1&hl=en&langpair=it|en&rurl=translate.google.com&u=http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/pages/arrivi-partenze/arrivi-partenze-sorrento.html&usg=ALkJrhggj0_T0z8orbS8RQfk5hjlLnod-A

By bus you'd use SITA. You'd need to travel from Salerno to Amalfi where you'd switch to a bus for Sorrento. It will take an awful lot of time ... is there some reason in particular why you want to go to Sorrento vs. the Amalfi coast towns, which are closer (and far more interesting, in my opinion).

Here is the Salerno - Amalfi bus schedule: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5120.pdf

Here is the Amalfi - Sorrento schedule: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5070.pdf

When you add together the times, you'd spend:

Salerno - Amalfi: 1:15

Amalfi - Sorrento: 1:40

Plus the time to get to the bus station in Salerno and the time between buses. In other words, you'd waste most of your day getting there and getting back.

If you are determined to get to Sorrento it would be faster to take the train from Salerno to Pompei, then walk or take a cab one mile from the Trenitalia train station to the Circumvesuviana Pompei Scavi station, then take the Circumvesuviana train from there to Sorrento.

This would take the same amount of time from the ship to the train station as the bus option (because the bus leaves from the train station), followed by a 25 minute train ride to Pompei, and a 30 minute ride from Pompei to Sorrento, plus the time to get from one station to the other (twenty minutes on foot, five by cab).

I still wouldn't do it, but it is better than the bus route.

Trenitalia: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

Circumvesuviana schedule: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/sites/default/files/ftp_orari_ferroviario/Orario%20Napoli%20Sorrento%20senza%20Pozzano%20e%20Scraio%20e%20viceversa.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Interesting - we are also docking in Salerno in May (Serenade). Thought it odd to dock there instead of Naples. Anywho, we are interesting in going to Sorrento if for no other reason that we live in Sorrento Florida. We may also do Pompeii again, possibly a self guided tour.

Euro - do you recommend against Sorrento? There is a ship excursion that goes to both Pompeii and Sorrento. Would that also have a decent slice of drive on the Amalfi coast? Forgive my ignorance but this is only our second Med trip!

Interesting - we are also docking in Salerno in May (Serenade). Thought it odd to dock there instead of Naples. Anywho, we are interesting in going to Sorrento if for no other reason that we live in Sorrento Florida. We may also do Pompeii again, possibly a self guided tour.

Euro - do you recommend against Sorrento? There is a ship excursion that goes to both Pompeii and Sorrento. Would that also have a decent slice of drive on the Amalfi coast? Forgive my ignorance but this is only our second Med trip!

There are lots of people who love Sorrento but I'm not one of them. I don't have anything against the place and I enjoyed the week I spent there a couple of years ago, but that week was memorable mostly because of the places we went to away from Sorrento, not the town itself. Two big exceptions were the hotel we stayed in (the Bristol) and a restaurant we ate at in Sorrento (Inn Bufalito).

A trip starting and ending in Salerno that includes Pompei and Sorrento would probably include a drive down the Amalfi Coast. My guess is that they'd head up to Pompei in the morning on the autostrada (inland), then go to Sorrento for lunch, followed by the Amalfi Coast drive on the way back to the ship. Of course, they might reverse this order and head up the coast in the morning, followed by a stop in Sorrento and an afternoon visit to Pompei and the autostrada back to Salerno. This second routing would make sense as it would avoid the traffic on the coast road later in the day.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks. We are unsure about what to do so this is good info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We love Sorrento, but it looks like if we wish to go there we would have to sign up for tour that would include Pompei ( been there done that ). We too like to do things on our own but it looks like transportation to Sorrento isn't easy from Salerno. You can take the boat from Salerno to Amalfi then transfer to Sorrento but boasts might not be running yet. Not sure about bus/

We like Sorrento because it is a little easier to walk around, some of the other Amalfi coast towns require a lot of stairs and uphill climbs.