First Timers Needing Some Tips

rspohr2

We are set to sail on the MSC Orchestra, in April. departing Barcelona, Genoa, Malaga, Lisbon, Casablanca, then again back to Barcelona. We are a group of 12, consisting of 4 adults and 8 children.

Looking for advice on the drink packages, and excursions. Also, disembarking. We are hoping to catch a 12:45 flight, the day we disembark and we are scheduled to dock at 0900. Is that enough time to disembark and make it back to the BCN airport?

Any and all help is appreciated!:)

You're cutting things very fine with a 1245 flight. Barcelona port is a busy place, and the traffic to the airport can be horrendous.

Malaga has decent beaches - or a short trip to Torremolinos gets you to a nice beach resort.

Lisbon is easy to explore on foot and the ships usually dock within 10 minutes walk of the city.

Casablanca port is an absolute dump. Book an excursion, and don't wear decent shoes, they will get wrecked!

I would suggest, especially because of the children, that you think about spending a couple of days post-cruise in Salou. It's an easy coach transfer from BCN airport (http://www.a2btransfers.com) and the Port Aventura theme park should go down well!

I think you' should be fine for a flight at that time. Barcelona is not the main embarkation/disembarkation port - genoa is. So there will not be hoards getting off at BCN. You should be off around 10 ish but it really depends when your bag drop for your airline closes. However you don't have a lot of contingency time built in if there is a hold up. If you can get a slightly later flight that day, might be safer to opt for that.

I can't tell where your from, from your post so don't know if you are familiar with the Med at that time of year. Weather in April can be unpredictable. You could get warm or ven reasonably hot, dry and sunny or could equally get cool and rainy. So you'll need to plan for this with your shore trips. Beach trips may not be an option. Can't really advice on shores (MSC or otherwise) as I invariably explore ports on my own and not with children.

The basic Allegrissimo is really good value at £23 per person per day. There is also a reduced rates for kids but can't remember what it is - it's around half the cost I think, but really depends on what you are likely to drink and how much of it. If you can give us an idea of that, then we can better advise you.

The orchestra is one of my favourite ships. Really beautiful and not too big or too small.

I think you' should be fine for a flight at that time. Barcelona is not the main embarkation/disembarkation port - genoa is. So there will not be hoards getting off at BCN. You should be off around 10 ish but it really depends when your bag drop for your airline closes. However you don't have a lot of contingency time built in if there is a hold up. If you can get a slightly later flight that day, might be safer to opt for that.

I can't tell where your from, from your post so don't know if you are familiar with the Med at that time of year. Weather in April can be unpredictable. You could get warm or ven reasonably hot, dry and sunny or could equally get cool and rainy. So you'll need to plan for this with your shore trips. Beach trips may not be an option. Can't really advice on shores (MSC or otherwise) as I invariably explore ports on my own and not with children.

The basic Allegrissimo is really good value at £23 per person per day. There is also a reduced rates for kids but can't remember what it is - it's around half the cost I think, but really depends on what you are likely to drink and how much of it. If you can give us an idea of that, then we can better advise you.

The orchestra is one of my favourite ships. Really beautiful and not too big or too small.

Thank you so much for the help! We are stationed in Germany, but from the U.S. We've lived here for nearly two years, so weather is the one thing, we know can change quickly! I went with the flight at 2:05. Hoping that gives us a little more wiggle room. :) We do like to indulge in a good drink, while hanging out and lounging. We'd also be likely to drink during dinner meals, as well. Any input on the pool area?

Pool area is reasonably large with 2 pools. Front one tends to be noisier as that is here the stage is so where the Entetainment have activities going on. Back pool is more peaceful. The gelateria in the middle definitely worth a vitalist. If you have the basic allegrissimo this will include tubs and cones but not fruit sundaes. Like most places, chair hogs are alive and well and will be out "reserving" their sunbeds early! I've always manged to get one but I'm just a solo so finding one spare one is a bit easier. Pool towels need to be checked out at a desk on the pool deck (think it's front starboard from memory).

There is a nice raised ara in the middle with hot tubs. Sunbeds there go quickly.

Thank you so much for the help! We are stationed in Germany, but from the U.S. We've lived here for nearly two years, so weather is the one thing, we know can change quickly! I went with the flight at 2:05. Hoping that gives us a little more wiggle room. :) We do like to indulge in a good drink, while hanging out and lounging. We'd also be likely to drink during dinner meals, as well. Any input on the pool area?

2:05 will probably be better, the airport isn't far, but you can never be sure.

Drinks packages. 4 adults and 8 children may seem a large payout, but I say again and again, on many threads, you just can't loose. A coffee in the morning, couple of bottles of water going ashore, beer with a snack of pizza, wine with dinner and a night cap and it's paid for itself. The kids will probably eat their own body weight in ice cream!

If your thinking of cruising with MSC again, try and put all the accounts on one card to total up the on-board spend to add up the MSC club points.