Time Control

Seafan22

So many of us plan our cruises very far ahead; we visualize them, we plan, and we anticipate their arrival. While we're waiting for date of embarkation we want time to fly by. Then once on board we want time to slow down so we can enjoy every second of our trip. What are some of the things people do to make time seem like it’s slowing down once on you get on the ship, and the vacations doesn't fly right by?

Edited by Seafan22

So many of us plan our cruises very far ahead; we visualize them, we plan, and we anticipate their arrival. While we're waiting for date of embarkation we want time to fly by. Then once on board we want time to slow down so we can enjoy every second of our trip. What are some of the things people do to make time seem like it’s slowing down once on you get on the ship, and the vacations doesn't fly right by?

I put my phone and watch in the safe and only use the phone as an alarm instead of a clock. Then I can just enjoy things as they happen. With the exception of shore excursions and shows, we really pay no attention to time.

Unfortunately, it still flies by and next thing you know its 2 months after the cruise and we are booking the next one. ;)

I hear what you are saying.... I think I get the joy of walking on the ship and all of a.......... its OVER.. No, I think of the past cruise I had and.. The last one is ALLLLLLways the BEST... I learn to relax... My 13th cruise... It took me till cruise 11(LOL) to do this.. We are some luck PEEPS!!!!!!!:D Be safe I cruise in 13 days on the GEM and I wish time would FLY>>>> till that time.. So you are not alone!!!!!:)

we try not to sleep in, but rather get up early and enjoy the day. We figure we can sleep on the flight home. :)

There's something magical about the serenity of early morning on a cruise ship

Edited by sdmike

we try not to sleep in, but rather get up early and enjoy the day. We figure we can sleep on the flight home. :)

We have caught many sun rises onboard. It always surprises me how few people are out and about at that time of day. We do our laps around the ship and might see one or 2 other people walking or jogging.

Great question! We plan, plan, plan in advance so that time isn't wasted while on the ship figuring out what to do. I don't mean we have things set in stone, but we've already checked things out and educated ourselves on options so that we can make decisions and back up plans more quickly.

We also sleep very little. We can sleep when we are dead. I want to enjoy every moment. I'd never dream of missing a sunrise on a cruise.

Edited by Will Sail For Food

Great question! We plan, plan, plan in advance so that time isn't wasted while on the ship figuring out what to do. I don't mean we have things set in stone, but we've already checked things out and educated ourselves on options so that we can make decisions and back up plans more quickly.

We also sleep very little. We can sleep when we are dead. I want to enjoy every moment. I'd never dream of missing a sunrise on a cruise.

AMEN to that BRO!!!!! Everyday is the BEST!!!!!!!!! Sometimes it feels like a DREAM...... SLOOOOOOOW it DOWN!!!! I think I just learn to relax and take what I can and do what I can is most important.… But most important is just enjoy..(SPELLING SUCKS) But the wine is flowing...... Stay WARM!!!!!;)

I know exactly what you mean Mike. I really enjoyed it on the Epic when I would catch an early breakfast sitting by the front windows enjoying the day's beginnings. No worries, no stress, no phone calls.

I'd finish that up by taking a cup of coffee and one of those delicious chocolate croissants to the upper pool deck and would just lean against the rail and watch the ocean roll by. Met a few nice people up there who had the same idea. :)

Our first cruise was for seven days. I admit that I drank way too much, and as a result, I felt terrible a a lot of the time and dont remember a lot of it. I still enjoyed myself and my wife and I have been on a yearly cruise ever since then. We always take at least 10 day cruises, and I do not drink at all. We have even given away the bottles of free wine and champaign. I remember our cruises now, and oh, we always stay a couple extra days on both ends. Thank goodness I was able to take vacation time off!!!!

You are so right. We always try to beat

the sunrise. They are magical. This time of the morning we also get to talk to some of the crew that you never see during the day. They seem more chatty when there are no supervisors looking over their shoulder.

We have caught many sun rises onboard. It always surprises me how few people are out and about at that time of day. We do our laps around the ship and might see one or 2 other people walking or jogging.[/quote/]

Agree. Sometimes you'll catch some people you talked to in one of the bars the night before that haven't been to bed yet...lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by miataman19

My wife and I found that the best way to make the cruise "feel" longer is to avoid making routines. Obviously some things are going to happen when they normally do like breakfast/lunch/dinner and shows. It's in between those times where spontaneity makes all the difference. Our 14 day cruise to the Panama Canal felt almost quicker than our first 7 day cruise due to the fact that we quickly developed a routine on port and sea days. Wake up, coffee on the balcony, breakfast, gym, shower, spa, lunch etc etc...time passes too quickly without realizing how much has gone by when a routine sets in.

Also, never miss a chance to wake up early on port days and watch coming into port. Still one of my favorite moments on every cruise is waking up and seeing in the distance an adventure waiting to happen. Might be nerdy...but I can't get enough of it!

I think you have all talked me into waking up earlier to enjoy those quiet hours before the rest of the ship is awake! On port days we are up early, wanting to be with the first bunch off the ship. But sea days we tend to be a bit lazy! I think I will set an alarm just to see a quiet sunrise when we are not feeling rushed!

We also are looking forward to a 9 day, an 11 day and possibly a 12 day cruise in the next few years. 7 days is too short!

Lauri

I had such a sad dream the other night that it was the end of the cruise and it felt like it went by way too fast and I couldn't remember anything that we did! :( weird. I like to relax but sometimes that does make it feel like the week went by too fast! No matter what I do really, it always tends to fly by.

Great topic and one my DW and I just talked about a couple days ago. We book our cruises 2 years in advance and when the week of the cruise finally arrives.....it ends up going by waaaaaaayy too fast.

So, I always focus on Time Control during my cruise week, and have discovered that, for me, I am able to slow time down by being on my balcony, looking at the vast ocean, sipping on a cool drink, just imaging what is past the horizon.

Unfortunately, the week ends too quickly, and I realize I have again failed at Time Control; but I have the one thing I need to handle the long wait till my next cruise...memories.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

We are not night owls on a cruise. We love to have a late leisurely dinner, find some music to enjoy somewhere, and then turn in before midnight.

We like to get up early also. DH rises at 5:30 to get in a few miles on the track before it gets crowded. I like to enjoy some coffee in the room, then go walk on deck or the gym before breakfast.

Sunrise on the deck is such a luxury to me too! And when I wake I dash to the door to see if we are coming into port.

The older I get the harder it is to enjoy both ends of a day onboard.

The first few days I get up early, go up to the buffet and get a bowl of muesli and a cup of coffee. Have never had muesli like they make it on NCL.

Then I lean on a rail and watch the sunrise or the ocean. Then I try to get in some walking.

Problem is that by mid week I have been staying up later and later and the early mornings are tougher. I get really mad at myself for not getting up to enjoy those mornings. There's always time for a nap sometime during the day - after all I'm not at work.:)