Shore Snorkel for Beginners?

hoparonious74

Anyone been on this excursion in Cozumel? Looking for kind of an inexpensive snorkeling trip for my girls while in port on the Ecstacy Jan 15. Trying to decide on this or to just go it alone and head to the money bar for a couple hours. I think it said this excursion is at the Villa Blanca Reef which would be North of the Pier?

The issue with snorkeling near the shore in Cozumel is lack of reef. Cozumel has been hit by a few hurricanes in the recent past and the reef have not recovered near the shore line. Not that there isn't anything to see, but to have a good view you need to be on the reefs father from shore which require a boat to get to. If the depth of the water is your concern and you just don't want to try it in the deeper water than the Money Bar is a good on your own choice. They have rental equipment and showers and food and bevs.

It was 25 per person through carnival. The company paid for our ride there. We were with a guide for about an hour in the water. The guide actually dove down and woke up a stingray for us to see. We got out, everyone else left. We hopped back in the water and snorkeled with their equipment for about another half hour or so and then they had a cab waiting for us to go back to the pier. They took a picture once we got in the water and once while we were underwater. We got them both for 20.00. They were the only pictures we bought the entire cruise. There was a couple that couldn't swim, so our guide towed them on a lifeguard buoy for the entire time. If (when) we go back to Cozumel, I would do this in a heartbeat again. Our guide was Antonio Banderas. I would highly recommend this excursion. There were hardly any people there and we had great clear views underwater.

Channkanab is great for begining snorkelers. You can walk into the water from a lagoon and swim near the shore. An earlier poster mentioned the hurricanes and I have not been there since the last hurricane so I would check the port of call board for info on the reef but we snorkeled with small children with no snorkeling experience the last time we were there.

We snorkeled at money Bar when just my DH and myself. We really enjoyed it there but the current can get suddenly rough. The coral is brown but some color. The water is not deep close to shore. If you venture out you need to be careful of boats coming up to the pier to drop off people. For families, I would say Chankanaab. Just DH and myself, ok at Money Bar.