Christmas on the Dream - Review

susieon

We cruised as a group of nine from 12/21/13 to 12/28/13. Myself (49), Sister (47), BIL (50), Mom and Dad (both in their 70's), two daughters (15 and 21), niece (15) and nephew (18).

Embarkation at Port Canaveral was very smooth. Seven of us flew in to Orlando on Friday night and were shuttled to the port on Saturday morning. The other two drove down to Port Canaveral and stayed at a hotel near the port. We were all on board by 1:00 and our cabins were ready.

Lunch on Lido (Burrito Bar - excellent) then we explored the ship til Muster and sail away. Muster takes place in the common areas rather than on the outside deck. Most people seemed to take it seriously which was good to see. I noticed that later in the week (while in port) there was a muster safety drill for crew only.

The CD (James Charleton) and entertainment staff were great. This was a port intensive cruise (four port days and two sea days), so the two sea days were crammed with activities.

The ship sailed full and there were 1600 kids under the age of 18 on board. The kids must have been happy with Camp Carnival, Circle C and Club 02 activities because it was not obvious that there were so many. Our two 15 year olds enjoyed Club 02. They met many kids to hang out with. It was good that we had dinner each night as a family since that was almost the only time we saw them.

I had read previous reviews indicating that the ship feels crowded and lines on Lido were long. I think it really depends on where you are and when. On this trip though we had four ports I sailed to cruise rather than for the itinerary so I only booked one excursion (Costa Maya - Choccobean Ruins). At the other three we got off at each port to do a little shopping, then spent the remainder of the days enjoying the ship while many others were still in port.

Deck chairs were readily available along deck 11, aft deck 10 (Lido) and the deck 5 Lanai. The Lanai may be the best kept secret on the Dream. If you do not have to be poolside, the Lanai is a great location. We used the hot tubs there on two separate days and there were only a handful of other people around.

Meals - Sea Day Brunch was fabulous. We attended the brunch on both sea days, and used our VIFP drink coupons for Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, and smoothies on the first day. The port days we breakfasted on the Lido deck. The omelet station was great and only one or two people in line (this was while we were docked in Cozumel).

Lunch - Burrito Bar (twice), Mongolian Grill, Pasta Bar, pizza and salad. Skipped lunch on the Sea Days due to the excellent Brunch.

Dinner - Early seating, Scarlet Restaurant - fabulous aft table with a great service team. We enjoyed all our meals here. One night there was nothing on the menu that appealed to my youngest daughter so she ordered Mac and Cheese which she loved.

Desserts - I tried something different each night, but managed to get the melting cake once as well. Always so good.

Entertainment - Enjoyed the shows including the Legends. Phoenix and Sarah were excellent (singing duo) as was Grant.. Enjoyed the Piano Bar and Family Comedy shows (did not go to any of the Adult shows).

We all had a great time on this cruise and are looking forward to planning our next one.

Any question? Bring em on!

We cruised as a group of nine from 12/21/13 to 12/28/13. Myself (49), Sister (47), BIL (50), Mom and Dad (both in their 70's), two daughters (15 and 21), niece (15) and nephew (18).

Embarkation at Port Canaveral was very smooth. Seven of us flew in to Orlando on Friday night and were shuttled to the port on Saturday morning. The other two drove down to Port Canaveral and stayed at a hotel near the port. We were all on board by 1:00 and our cabins were ready.

Lunch on Lido (Burrito Bar - excellent) then we explored the ship til Muster and sail away. Muster takes place in the common areas rather than on the outside deck. Most people seemed to take it seriously which was good to see. I noticed that later in the week (while in port) there was a muster safety drill for crew only.

The CD (James Charleton) and entertainment staff were great. This was a port intensive cruise (four port days and two sea days), so the two sea days were crammed with activities.

The ship sailed full and there were 1600 kids under the age of 18 on board. The kids must have been happy with Camp Carnival, Circle C and Club 02 activities because it was not obvious that there were so many. Our two 15 year olds enjoyed Club 02. They met many kids to hang out with. It was good that we had dinner each night as a family since that was almost the only time we saw them.

I had read previous reviews indicating that the ship feels crowded and lines on Lido were long. I think it really depends on where you are and when. On this trip though we had four ports I sailed to cruise rather than for the itinerary so I only booked one excursion (Costa Maya - Choccobean Ruins). At the other three we got off at each port to do a little shopping, then spent the remainder of the days enjoying the ship while many others were still in port.

Deck chairs were readily available along deck 11, aft deck 10 (Lido) and the deck 5 Lanai. The Lanai may be the best kept secret on the Dream. If you do not have to be poolside, the Lanai is a great location. We used the hot tubs there on two separate days and there were only a handful of other people around.

Meals - Sea Day Brunch was fabulous. We attended the brunch on both sea days, and used our VIFP drink coupons for Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, and smoothies on the first day. The port days we breakfasted on the Lido deck. The omelet station was great and only one or two people in line (this was while we were docked in Cozumel).

Lunch - Burrito Bar (twice), Mongolian Grill, Pasta Bar, pizza and salad. Skipped lunch on the Sea Days due to the excellent Brunch.

Dinner - Early seating, Scarlet Restaurant - fabulous aft table with a great service team. We enjoyed all our meals here. One night there was nothing on the menu that appealed to my youngest daughter so she ordered Mac and Cheese which she loved.

Desserts - I tried something different each night, but managed to get the melting cake once as well. Always so good.

Entertainment - Enjoyed the shows including the Legends. Phoenix and Sarah were excellent (singing duo) as was Grant.. Enjoyed the Piano Bar and Family Comedy shows (did not go to any of the Adult shows).

We all had a great time on this cruise and are looking forward to planning our next one.

Any question? Bring em on!

How many days is the burrito bar open? Did you try the taste bar? any of the waterpark slides? was that crowded ? Thanks! Glad your cruise was great.we sail out on the 18th! first time on Dream:D

Yes and yes. The burrito bar was open everyday and only for lunch (12-3:30).

We did not ride the water slides but saw many enjoying them. The water works area seemed to draw many of the kids away from the main pool area. There were plenty of chairs and some wooden circular benches/platforms where parents could sit and relax and watch over their children.

I did try the taste bar. It was pretty neat. Literally tiny taste size portions of a couple of different foods each evening. Think of that cooking show where the entire sample is placed on a spoon. In the case of the taste bar, appetizers are served on saucer sized plates and soups in tiny bowls. No flatware. It's one bite or gulp and done.

I did try the taste bar. It was pretty neat. Literally tiny taste size portions of a couple of different foods each evening. Think of that cooking show where the entire sample is placed on a spoon. In the case of the taste bar, appetizers are served on saucer sized plates and soups in tiny bowls. No flatware. It's one bite or gulp and done.

Where is the taste bar? Is it available every day/night??

Thanks

I believe the Taste Bar was open every night except the day we boarded.

Chacchoben was very cool. We booked through Carnival and opted for these Ruins as the bus ride was only about an hour. Our guide was quite personable and shared a lot of info regarding Costa Maya on the way to the Ruins. You get to climb a few of them. Seven of us went on this excursion and we all enjoyed it.