Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef - BE31

jules71

We did this excursion last week (with Carnival).

I thought it was great!

There were 2 small boats, but it wasn't crowded. They separated you into beginner, intermediate and advanced or you could just stay on the island.

I went with my 5yo in the beginner group, my wife stayed with 3yo on the beach. You walk down a few steps into the water and go as a group while the guide kayaks along. We didn’t make it too far since my daughter couldn’t get the hang of breathing through the snorkel and she didn’t like the goggles. So the guide kayaked her back while I swam alongside. I stayed with fam for a bit, then decided to try to catch up to the group. Noone seemed to notice me swimming not in the group while I caught up, but the beginners were on their way back so I didn’t see much. Unless you have kids or you’re old then I would go at least with intermediate.

The island had 2 very small swimming areas one with a fine crushed coral bottom so nice on the feet, the other side was broken up shells that was too sharp to walk on. There were washrooms, shade, beach bar that sold some drinks and hot dogs. I would definitely recommend for a beach day, the snorkelling I saw was good, but don’t have much to compare to.

We did this excursion last week (with Carnival).

I thought it was great!

There were 2 small boats, but it wasn't crowded. They separated you into beginner, intermediate and advanced or you could just stay on the island.

I went with my 5yo in the beginner group, my wife stayed with 3yo on the beach. You walk down a few steps into the water and go as a group while the guide kayaks along. We didn’t make it too far since my daughter couldn’t get the hang of breathing through the snorkel and she didn’t like the goggles. So the guide kayaked her back while I swam alongside. I stayed with fam for a bit, then decided to try to catch up to the group. Noone seemed to notice me swimming not in the group while I caught up, but the beginners were on their way back so I didn’t see much. Unless you have kids or you’re old then I would go at least with intermediate.

The island had 2 very small swimming areas one with a fine crushed coral bottom so nice on the feet, the other side was broken up shells that was too sharp to walk on. There were washrooms, shade, beach bar that sold some drinks and hot dogs. I would definitely recommend for a beach day, the snorkelling I saw was good, but don’t have much to compare to.

Were there any chairs or loungers to sit on?? Could you snorkel from the beach? my daughter (age 10) is also a beginner. Not sure if she will like going from the boat or not. Did they have life vests? Were you required to wear them? I don't want/need one but it would probably be good for my dd. Also - did you use their snorkel equipment or bring your own?

Thanks!

Sorry to confuse, the boat only takes you to the island from the ship, once you're on the island you snorkel from the beach. The steps are from the beach down into the water. Definitely doable with a 10yo.

There were no loungers, there were picnic tables under the palapas though. The handed out bamboo mats as you arrive to lay on the beach. All kids and adults are required to wear a life vest (one of the blow up ones) but they did have a regular life vest for my daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you clarify if you are still talking about the Barrier Reef Snorkel and Beach which is BEB2 on Celebrity. We are going in March and want to use the cruise line excursion versus a private excursion for this particular port. We have snorkelled in various ports before. Do they pick you up at the ship or do you tender to shore first.

Can you clarify if you are still talking about the Barrier Reef Snorkel and Beach which is BEB2 on Celebrity. We are going in March and want to use the cruise line excursion versus a private excursion for this particular port. We have snorkelled in various ports before. Do they pick you up at the ship or do you tender to shore first.

Snorkel Wonders of the Barrier Reef on Carnival and RCI go to Rendezvous Caye. I would call Celebrity to see if that's where they go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have been researching this excursion- and debating what to do in Belize. It just doesn't seem right to go to Belize, and spend time in a cave- when the water is so beautiful!

So, my question is- they pick you up from the boat, and take you to the island directly- no tender- which is great...

But, after the excursion is complete, does the boat return you to the cruise ship? Or, is there an option to go into Belize by boat? I would like to go into Belize, just to look around the port area, but don't want to take a boat from the island- back to the cruise ship, just to tender to the port, and then tender back to the cruise ship.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

We have been researching this excursion- and debating what to do in Belize. It just doesn't seem right to go to Belize, and spend time in a cave- when the water is so beautiful!

So, my question is- they pick you up from the boat, and take you to the island directly- no tender- which is great...

But, after the excursion is complete, does the boat return you to the cruise ship? Or, is there an option to go into Belize by boat? I would like to go into Belize, just to look around the port area, but don't want to take a boat from the island- back to the cruise ship, just to tender to the port, and then tender back to the cruise ship.

Any help would be appreciated!

We leave Saturday on Sunshine. I am wondering the same thing about the tender after the excursion.

Your cruise ship tour takes you from the ship to the island to snorkel and then back to the ship. Unless the tour specifically says it's stopping somewhere else, then no, it won't drop you on in Belize City. It will take you straight back to the ship where you can catch a tender to the shore if you wish.

Edited by CaribbeanBound