Renting a car in Humble, TX from IAH

Hi, I'm thinking about taking a taxi from the IAH airport down the road to Humble to pick up a rental car to drive to Galveston and back a week later, it is almost half price!

Does anyone want to give me their thoughts on this?

I have searched the boards and haven't seen anyone mention this and wonder why :confused:

Thanks!

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and got very little response. Most were very cautioning, and in the end, when I added it up, it was only like a $10 difference total for us unless we found a hotel that we wanted to keep the car at for free... But for us that kinda defeated the purpose of being able to head to the airport right away in case customs was slow like a LOT seem to have happen... Unless I can get the price down to like $250 including taxes I'm inclined to use Galveston Shuttle for $145 to the island and then take Carnival Shuttle back for $180... Don't like it, but not finding a car that will hold 4 people and their luggage for less than $300... Add in parking of $40-$50 and we are right back to where we started...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and got very little response. Most were very cautioning, and in the end, when I added it up, it was only like a $10 difference total for us unless we found a hotel that we wanted to keep the car at for free... But for us that kinda defeated the purpose of being able to head to the airport right away in case customs was slow like a LOT seem to have happen... Unless I can get the price down to like $250 including taxes I'm inclined to use Galveston Shuttle for $145 to the island and then take Carnival Shuttle back for $180... Don't like it, but not finding a car that will hold 4 people and their luggage for less than $300... Add in parking of $40-$50 and we are right back to where we started...

Yes, I was getting pretty frustrated with the airport fees jacking the price up sky high!

We are staying in Galveston 2 days before the cruise and I felt I needed to get a hotel on the Seawall to be able to walk to most places, that wasn't easy price wise either.

I did find a hotel with free parking for the cruise and we are going home a day after the cruise for the same reason you stated about customs and traffic and what not so hopefully we like the hotel enough to get their shuttle back to where the car is and check back in for the night :)

I was able to book a car from Avis in Humble, TX for 10 days at $295 and I'm guessing a $20 taxi ride there? But it is just the 2 of us. The shuttles are running $300.00 roundtrip plus what 20% tip?

This by far has been the most hassle I have ever gone through to take a cruise :eek: But there is that "list" where I have to check a Galveston cruise off of LOL

I read in a past post about getting a limo service. I only checked in one website and they have prices of $35 to $50 per hour with a minimum of 3 hours per day. That could be an option.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

I read in a past post about getting a limo service. I only checked in one website and they have prices of $35 to $50 per hour with a minimum of 3 hours per day. That could be an option.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Forums mobile app

I looked at Cool tours, for a sedan for 2 people it is $255.00 round trip each additional person is $35.00 plus tip of course

https://www.cooltoursgalveston.com/shuttle-cruise-package-from-hobby-airport-hou/

Super Shuttle - looks like about $340.00 roundtrip for 4 people! Plus tip

https://reservations.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

Yup, tips only add to enormous cost of getting to the port. I'm so glad I was booked before we figured out that transportation was such a hassle! At least as you say I'll be able to check it off the list! LOL!

I am going to send out a message to my friends on Facebook too to see if anyone has relatives in the area that might be willing to drive us to Galveston for gas money and a nice dinner?!?

IF anyone sees better rental pricing especially on airport though it would be great to pass that info on!

Iah Is one of the worst airports for car rental fees in the country

Hou is better.

You might look at doing a same day one way rental from IAH to HOU.

Than on the return just pay the $12-15 drop off fee to IAH

Just play with the times If reserving direct from the car agency ;)

Edited by jonbgd

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I was getting pretty frustrated with the airport fees jacking the price up sky high!

We are staying in Galveston 2 days before the cruise and I felt I needed to get a hotel on the Seawall to be able to walk to most places, that wasn't easy price wise either.

I did find a hotel with free parking for the cruise and we are going home a day after the cruise for the same reason you stated about customs and traffic and what not so hopefully we like the hotel enough to get their shuttle back to where the car is and check back in for the night :)

I was able to book a car from Avis in Humble, TX for 10 days at $295 and I'm guessing a $20 taxi ride there? But it is just the 2 of us. The shuttles are running $300.00 roundtrip plus what 20% tip?

This by far has been the most hassle I have ever gone through to take a cruise :eek: But there is that "list" where I have to check a Galveston cruise off of LOL

Addictedtocruising-

Just an FYI, I was able to book a Standard size car ON AIRPORT from Dollar last night for 9 days for $232 total including all the fees that the airport locations have! SO, it appears that it is just a matter of watching prices often you can find decent prices from the airport. :) Never thought that would happen!

Addictedtocruising-

Just an FYI, I was able to book a Standard size car ON AIRPORT from Dollar last night for 9 days for $232 total including all the fees that the airport locations have! SO, it appears that it is just a matter of watching prices often you can find decent prices from the airport. :) Never thought that would happen!

Thanks for the heads up! Right now their web page is not working but I'll keep trying :)

Addictedtocruising-

Airport Drive is where Hobby Airport (HOU) is located. If you are flying into IAH then you are reserving from the wrong airport. IAH is off JFK blvd/Terminal Drive.

Airport Drive is where Hobby Airport (HOU) is located. If you are flying into IAH then you are reserving from the wrong airport. IAH is off JFK blvd/Terminal Drive.

By "On Airport" I meant as opposed to in Humble as we have been discussing because the airport in general charges fees that were making our rental searches exorbitant for our timelines "Location: HOUSTON - GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT" per my reservation confirmation.

By "On Airport" I meant as opposed to in Humble as we have been discussing because the airport in general charges fees that were making our rental searches exorbitant for our timelines "Location: HOUSTON - GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT" per my reservation confirmation.

Oh gotcha. My misunderstanding. I took it as on Airport which is the road that HOU is located. Then you did fantastic on the car rental. Good for you; persistence pays off

I was truly surprised to see how inaccessible and expensive it is to get to the Galveston Cruise Port. Here is what we are doing. We have decided to fly in the day before the cruise. The La Quinta at Hobby has a deal where there will be four of us spending the night and then they will transport us to the cruise port. Cost is $179 for the package plus tax. After the cruise we will stay in Galveston for a couple of nights and then take a taxi back to Hobby. Was told that it will be about $100. But the cruise line told me that transfers to Hobby through the cruise line would be about $45 a person. For four that would make it $180.

I just reserved a mini van at the Budget in Humble, Texas for 8 days for about 1/2 the price at IAH and we are able to drop off at IAH. I found a couple of discount codes on the internet. The Budget in Humble is about 7 miles from the airport. You can either take a taxi or Budget will pick you up at one of the surrounding airport hotels in their shuttle. They are not allowed to pick you up at IAH since there is a Budget at the airport. I think this is a much better option than using the Super Shuttle and its about the same price. Our flight after the cruise does not leave till 7:55pm so we will be able to do something other than waiting in the airport for 8 hours.

I just reserved a mini van at the Budget in Humble, Texas for 8 days for about 1/2 the price at IAH and we are able to drop off at IAH. I found a couple of discount codes on the internet. The Budget in Humble is about 7 miles from the airport. You can either take a taxi or Budget will pick you up at one of the surrounding airport hotels in their shuttle. They are not allowed to pick you up at IAH since there is a Budget at the airport. I think this is a much better option than using the Super Shuttle and its about the same price. Our flight after the cruise does not leave till 7:55pm so we will be able to do something other than waiting in the airport for 8 hours.

Great info...would you mind sharing your car rental rate? Thanks Patricia

Iah Is one of the worst airports for car rental fees in the country

Hou is better.

You might look at doing a same day one way rental from IAH to HOU.

Than on the return just pay the $12-15 drop off fee to IAH

Just play with the times If reserving direct from the car agency ;)

I don't know...I've been trying to book a vehicle while we're in Jacksonville, FL visiting and it's $82 per day! :eek: Last time I rented there it was about 3 years ago and it was only $40 per day. Renting from the airports is so expensive! Of course, it doesn't help that it's the first weekend of Spring Break down there. I'm still looking!