Lots of questons???

bling19572010

My Mother and Daddy love cruising but they started this passion late in life. I also love cruising! My sister and I will accompany our Mother and Daddy on the cruise as our Mother is in a wheelchair and can only take a couple of steps with assistance and our Daddy is forgetful and has a hard time sorting things out. Our Mother cannot go up or down stairs. I would like them (and my sister and I too) to experience the Norwegian Fjords. They would prefer to cruise on RCCL but are open to other cruise lines if the itinerary and amenities are great. I would like a cruise for them to be:

1. Wheelchair accessible – airplane, cruise ship and port excursions

2. Cruise originating from and returning the USA – which I understand isn’t probably possible. My Mother can’t travel long distances on an airplane or any source of transportation for that matter.

3. We live in Kansas City, Missouri so possibly splitting the flight time might be the answer (i.e. Kansas City to New York – staying overnight in NYC and then a couple days later going from NYC to the Norwegian Fyords.

4. Which side of the cruise ship would be best to have an excellent viewing of the Fyords during the entire trip?

5. Which ports would be best for wheelchair accessibility, also for ease of getting off and back onto the ship and touring around the countryside?

6. Price is a consideration as both my sister and I are divorced and living on a single income.

7. We would prefer a 2 week cruise.

I apologize for my list of considerations and wants, but giving our parents this cruise really means a lot to me and my sister.

I’m sure that I’ve probably missed something but, again, your help is so appreciated!!

My husband and I are also looking into seeing this area and have considered taking a transatlantic from NYC to Copenhagen and then doing a further cruise up to the fjords. The transatlantics are typically in May to that area. We would then fly home. You could also go the other direction (which is a little more restful) by flying over to start your cruise in Norway and then taking the crossing back to NY. These are in the fall.

I'm interested in any advise you get on this.

Kate

Airlines: All flights within U.S. and all flights to and from U.S. are suppose to be handicap friendly. You can take your wheelchair or mobile device at no charge. Most airlines you can ride or drive your own device to the airplane. Airlines to vary, thus they may provide their own wheelchair after yours is checked. If you require an aisle chair, suggest that you contact them in advance. Accessibility of all planes is limited. If a person requires assistance to the toilet, it is better if a family member assist.

All Royal Caribbean's ships are wheelchair accessible. Suggest you book as early as possible to obtain an accessible cabin.

You did not indicate dates you are interested in traveling, so I just looked up what I thought would meet your needs and make things simple.

Since you wish to avoid a long flight, my suggestion would be for you book round trip to NYC and allow whatever time you feel necessary in NYC before taking a direct flight to Oslo. (Note: For cost factors, you might compare “multi city” flight with first leg to NYC, second leg to Oslo and third leg from NYC home)

I'm suggesting Oslo because Royal Caribbean Legend OTS offers a Norwegian Fjords cruise departing there on September 2 and their next cruise is a Transatlantic coming to Cape Liberty (NYC – Bayonne, N.J.) just a short distance from Newark. Of course, you are close to all NYC's airports. You could just book back-2-back cruises and that would save you a tremendous hassle. (Note: There would also be an option to spend a couple nights in Oslo and re-board on the 9th).

As far as the ports of call, you will have to check each port separately, or you may ask here and be fortunate enough to find someone that has experienced the individual ports. I know that Oslo is wheelchair accessible, but they do have limitations. Royal Caribbean does offer limited accessible tours. You would have to check their list for each port.

If there are not any accessible ship's tours, I would suggest that you seek and find an email address for the Port Authority in each port and ask if there is wheelchair accessible shuttle service into town. At least that would allow you the possibility of seeing the various towns on your own.

Have a wonderful cruise(s)

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

1. Wheelchair accessible – airplane, cruise ship and port excursions [/QuoTE]

Some helpful tips :

Consult your travel agent about:

• What special assistance you can expect from the hotel, tour group, transportation company etc. you intend to use while you are way.
  • What sort of accommodations will be needed throughout your trip, be it, car rental or organizing seating on planes, coaches, cruises
  • Whether any special dietary needs will be sufficiently met at hotels/restaurants at your chosen destination.
  • Whether the hotel you intend to stay at has toilets suited to disabled travelers.
  • If you are renting a car, we strongly recommend that you call ahead and check that a hands control car will be available if you need that. If you are hiring a car and someone else is driving ensure you can transport your chair too

As a general rule, try and book as much as possible before you leave, so that you can make sure that they accommodate your various needs, or so that they can make the relevant preparations to accommodate your requirements.

In short, advanced preparation can save you a lot of time and effort in the long run. It is far easier to deal with any problems from home, than in a foreign country where you may have to deal with language barriers.

1. Make your reservation as far in advance as possible.

2. Tell the reservations person that you will be travelling with a wheelchair or scooter.

3. Inform them if you need assistance in boarding (an aisle chair to get to your seat, see picture below)

4. If it is a long flight and you are able to use a standard plane toilet but are unable to walk to the toilet ask that they make an aisle chair available to you during the flight. Some airplanes have a privacy curtain that includes the aisle that would allow a companion to assist you. But keep in mind that airplane toilets are very small. It is well worth considering catheterization and/or convene drainage into a leg bag for these longer journeys

It's also important to note that the flight attendants cannot assist anyone onto the toilet or off of the toilet. They can only assist with the planes aisle wheelchair to transport the person to the door of the lavatory and back to their seat. Therefore if the individual is not able to assist themselves once inside the lavatory than they must have a travel companion to assist them .

5. On newer and recently refurbished wide body jets (the ones with two aisles) there is sometimes one accessible toilet. It is large enough to fit the aisle chair inside so making it possible to transfer to the toilet. However given that planes it could be that you may have originally booked a plane that had an accessible toilet but due to an equipment change your may not end up having one. Most planes generally carry an aisle chair, but it is a good idea to confirm that one will be on board.

6. Always confirm that the airlines have a record of your requests 48 hours prior to departure.

7. Some of the newer planes have lift up arms on some of the aisles. You can request to be seated there if they are available. It makes transferring easier. Some passengers prefer to request bulkhead seats that have more legroom, but the arms rests on these seats do not lift up.

Aisle Chairs:

NOTE: An aisle chair is a narrow straight back chair with wheels underneath. It is designed to fit down the aisle of an airplane and is used to assist passengers that cannot walk. These chairs are very narrow as can be seen in the picture. It may take several people to help you transfer to the chair safely.

2. Cruise originating from and returning the USA – which I understand isn’t probably possible. My Mother can’t travel long distances on an airplane or any source of transportation for that matter.

The only cruise line that may have this option is Cunard which is very expensive. Once a cruise line has repositioned their ship from the USA to the Baltic it will return to USA until after the Baltic cruise season has ended.

5. Which ports would be best for wheelchair accessibility, also for ease of getting off and back onto the ship and touring around the countryside?

• In general Europe is not as accessible as the USA. Therefore as Betty has previously recommended you need to research each port for accessibility. Once you have narrowed down an itinerary you could come back and post the ports to get further information.
  • Tendered ports will generally be the most difficult in getting on/off at port. Most Cruises line require that the person have a collapsible wheelchair and must be able to walk up/down steps in order to be able to board the tender. So an itinerary with no tendered ports would be the better choice.

6. Price is a consideration as both my sister and I are divorced and living on a single income.

7. We would prefer a 2 week cruise.

[/Quote]

Prices varies from cruise line to cruise line so it's best to find a good reliable TA to work with to help you sort this out. Regrettably due to Cruise Critic's policy we cannot recommend any TA's.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Airlines: All flights within U.S. and all flights to and from U.S. are suppose to be handicap friendly. You can take your wheelchair or mobile device at no charge. Most airlines you can ride or drive your own device to the airplane. Airlines to vary, thus they may provide their own wheelchair after yours is checked. If you require an aisle chair, suggest that you contact them in advance. Accessibility of all planes is limited. If a person requires assistance to the toilet, it is better if a family member assist.

All Royal Caribbean's ships are wheelchair accessible. Suggest you book as early as possible to obtain an accessible cabin.

You did not indicate dates you are interested in traveling, so I just looked up what I thought would meet your needs and make things simple.

Since you wish to avoid a long flight, my suggestion would be for you book round trip to NYC and allow whatever time you feel necessary in NYC before taking a direct flight to Oslo. (Note: For cost factors, you might compare “multi city” flight with first leg to NYC, second leg to Oslo and third leg from NYC home)

I'm suggesting Oslo because Royal Caribbean Legend OTS offers a Norwegian Fjords cruise departing there on September 2 and their next cruise is a Transatlantic coming to Cape Liberty (NYC – Bayonne, N.J.) just a short distance from Newark. Of course, you are close to all NYC's airports. You could just book back-2-back cruises and that would save you a tremendous hassle. (Note: There would also be an option to spend a couple nights in Oslo and re-board on the 9th).

As far as the ports of call, you will have to check each port separately, or you may ask here and be fortunate enough to find someone that has experienced the individual ports. I know that Oslo is wheelchair accessible, but they do have limitations. Royal Caribbean does offer limited accessible tours. You would have to check their list for each port.

If there are not any accessible ship's tours, I would suggest that you seek and find an email address for the Port Authority in each port and ask if there is wheelchair accessible shuttle service into town. At least that would allow you the possibility of seeing the various towns on your own.

Have a wonderful cruise(s)

Betty

Betty....thanks so much for the great information. I'll keep researching with your suggestions in mind!:)