Galveston Plan no car

cruise.freak

Here is what I have decided for our mother daughter cruise flying into Houston Hobby with transfers. Ours cruise is a Saturday - Thursday so runs a little different which helps with our rental car for a day.

We fly into Houston Hobby on Thursday and have arranged Cool Tours roundtrip (from airport to motel than Galveston pier to airport) for 2 people cost of $180.00 The Townplace Suites Galveston Gulffront offers free shuttle to and from restaurants/shopping (was able to get that for $100.00 per night when most decent motels were hitting around $200.00 per night) and than Friday shuttle will take us to Enterprise rent a car that we will keep all day Friday and drop off Saturday morning for $45.00.

With the rental we can see and do more on the island so we are looking forward to that. It still was kinda of expensive but feel I got some decent deals.

I can't find a hotel in Galveston for less than $200 for the night before the cruise. Many hotels want a 2 night minimum esp since it's a holiday weekend.

I booked a refundable stay at LaQuinta near Hobby airport for $179.00. Includes transfers airport-hotel-port-back to airport. Nothing is near the hotel but do offer a complimentary shuttle to stores/restaurants. I will keep looking tho!

I can't find a hotel in Galveston for less than $200 for the night before the cruise. Many hotels want a 2 night minimum esp since it's a holiday weekend.

I booked a refundable stay at LaQuinta near Hobby airport for $179.00. Includes transfers airport-hotel-port-back to airport. Nothing is near the hotel but do offer a complimentary shuttle to stores/restaurants. I will keep looking tho!

I looked on travelocity today and they had some cheaper rates, but they are all nonrefundable. I still haven't figured out what we are doing in April.. Lots of searching and looking!

We're leaving out of Galveston over Easter break. We booked a carriage house with http://www.homeaway.com (http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p972233). It's 2 blocks from the beach and walking distance to the Strand and Pleasure Pier. We'll have to call for a taxi to the RC port, but that's okay. We paid $457.25 total for three nights, including rental, cleaning fees, tax, and property damage protection. Cheaper than $200/night, and we get our own place!

Renting a house or condo is always a good idea as that is usually less expensive than a hotel.

However, most have a two night minimum. Most are privately owned so don't have the staff on call for daily cleaning.

We rarely stay in a hotel when traveling for more than 3 or 4 nights.

Loved having our own apartment in Rome:)

• 3 weeks later...

I booked a refundable stay at LaQuinta near Hobby airport for $179.00. Includes transfers airport-hotel-port-back to airport.

Hi, I also booked this for my cruise in April. Can you please let us know how it works out if you end up staying there. It seems to be as much as round trip transportation with a free hotel room. On the website it shows that it includes transportation to the Port of Galveston but in the confirmation it doesn't say anything about the transportation, so it would be helpful to have confirmation that it worked for someone.

thanks

Here is what I have decided for our mother daughter cruise flying into Houston Hobby with transfers. Ours cruise is a Saturday - Thursday so runs a little different which helps with our rental car for a day.

We fly into Houston Hobby on Thursday and have arranged Cool Tours roundtrip (from airport to motel than Galveston pier to airport) for 2 people cost of $180.00 The Townplace Suites Galveston Gulffront offers free shuttle to and from restaurants/shopping (was able to get that for $100.00 per night when most decent motels were hitting around $200.00 per night) and than Friday shuttle will take us to Enterprise rent a car that we will keep all day Friday and drop off Saturday morning for $45.00.

With the rental we can see and do more on the island so we are looking forward to that. It still was kinda of expensive but feel I got some decent deals.

I think you'll enjoy your time on the island.

Hi, I also booked this for my cruise in April. Can you please let us know how it works out if you end up staying there. It seems to be as much as round trip transportation with a free hotel room. On the website it shows that it includes transportation to the Port of Galveston but in the confirmation it doesn't say anything about the transportation, so it would be helpful to have confirmation that it worked for someone.

thanks

Doug, my cruise is in May :eek: could you let me know how this works out?

I may stay near the port; in the process of planning shared ride in a van with my roll call. :)

I just bit the bullet and rented a car for 10-days... Will pay to park it at terminal. Now to find a hotel.

This may be my last time departing from Galveston....

Ft. Lauderdale is a longer flight, but a lot easier and cheaper to get around once there.

I just bit the bullet and rented a car for 10-days... Will pay to park it at terminal. Now to find a hotel.

This may be my last time departing from Galveston....

Ft. Lauderdale is a longer flight, but a lot easier and cheaper to get around once there.

I'm guessing your renting the car from Hobby airport? Can I ask what rental company?

It looks like the fees are just as expensive as renting at IAH where I'm flying into.

Did you find any good promo codes to bring the price down a little?

I'm guessing your renting the car from Hobby airport? Can I ask what rental company?

It looks like the fees are just as expensive as renting at IAH where I'm flying into.

We are cruising in March and just rented a car for 10 days with Alamo out of HOU...for a total of $224.

Enterprise via Costco. $481.00 total with taxes. Intermediate size. Based on what pmak posted, I need to check Alamo. We are also flying into IAH too.

Edited by oo7 Bond!

We are cruising in March and just rented a car for 10 days with Alamo out of HOU...for a total of $224.

You got one great deal.... I hope???

I just looked at Alamo and here is what I found. It looked good, but with all the taxes and fees, here is what I found,

George Bush1 Week(s) @216.03 $216.03 3 Day(s) @30.86 $92.58

Busing Recovery Fee 4.67/rntl $ 4.67

Cons Facility Chg 4/day $ 40.00

Concession Recoup Fee 11.11 Pct (11.11%) $ 36.69

Harris Sports Venue Tax 5 Pct (5.0%) $ 20.35

Texas Reimbursement Fee 1.70/day $ 17.00

Motor Veh Rental Tax (10.0%) $ 40.70

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$468 02

Hobby

1 Week(s) @351.61 $351.61

3 Day(s) @50.23 $150.69

Airport Concession Fee 11.11 Pct (11.11%) $ 57.69

Harris Sports Venue Tax 5 Pct (5.0%) $ 28.85

Motor Veh Rental Tax (10.0%) $ 57.70

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$663 54

Edited by oo7 Bond!

I just looked at Alamo and here is what I found. It looked good, but with all the taxes and fees, here is what I found,

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$468 02

Hobby

3 Day(s) @50.23 $150.69

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$663 54

Try renting at one of the offices away from the airports.

I do know Houston voted several years ago to charge additional fees from airports.

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$468 02

Hobby

3 Day(s) @50.23 $150.69

Unlimited mileage

Included

Estimated Total

$663 54

Hi, We booked through Costco. Car rental rates keep fluctuating...two weeks ago rate was $250...last week rate was $550...yesterday $224. Right now Dollar rental rate for 10 days out of hou is $337 for a full size car. Good luck. Patricia

Hi, We booked through Costco. Car rental rates keep fluctuating...two weeks ago rate was $250...last week rate was $550...yesterday $224. Right now Dollar rental rate for 10 days out of hou is $337 for a full size car. Good luck. Patricia

I re-booked today. $30.00 cheaper and I upgraded the car. Thanks for the suggestion Patricia.

Here is a quote from a non-airport Enterprise location. about $100.00 savings.

Total Cost Estimate

For a 10 day rental of a Intermediate

( Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus or similar ). 3 Days @ $ 37.58 USD $ 112.74 USD

1 Week @ $ 186.99 USD $ 186.99 USD

TEXAS REIMBURSEMENT FEE $ 17.00 USD

Subtotal $ 316.73 USD

HARRIS COUNTY STADIUM TAX $ 15.84 USD

SALES TAX $ 31.67 USD

* Total Charges $ 364.24 USD

This is what I have reserved for now at Budget for an intermediate, pick up in Humble drop off IAH - 10 days

car 251.09

options 0.00

one way 0.00

ENERGY RECOVERY FEE .60 /day 6.00

vehicle license 1.95 /day 19.50

taxes 41.49

$ 318.08 TOTAL (USD)

10 day rental unlimited free miles

pick-up

4525 FM 1960 ROAD EAST - QH1

HUMBLE , TX 77346 US

return