All Things Freedom!

MrBanana1240

I will be sailing on her at the end of the month (same cruise as navybaby1113) and can't wait. This will be my fifth cruise, second with Carnival but first on the Freedom. It will be my first solo cruise.

Some questions:

What nights will be formal on the 8 day cruise? (I want to book the steakhouse and am trying to decide on which night)

How formal do men dress?

Is it cheaper to prepurchase internet?

I have purchased FTTF. Do I wait in Suite line to board when I get to the port?

I have read that there is only one power outlet in the room. Where is it located? I have a CPAP and a sound machine that I need while sleeping. Do I need to bring a power strip with a long cord?

I am staying on deck 8 midship and have read threads about noise coming from the deck above. Is this going to be a major problem?

Thanks for the replies!!

Awesome! More of a reason to have a great cruise!

Hi Joie - there is a fish & chips place upstairs above the Lido Buffet, a Mongolian wok, deli, pizza (which is delicious), and a tandoori station (if I am not mistaken). There is also a coffee bar (pay) that has a selection of pastries and coffees. The steakhouse is great as well - $35.00 pp including tip. Serenity deck offers a "lunch box" on sea days as well.

March 16th can't get here fast enough!

Thanks for the help! Do you have any pictures from you cruise?

I will be sailing on her at the end of the month (same cruise as navybaby1113) and can't wait. This will be my fifth cruise, second with Carnival but first on the Freedom. It will be my first solo cruise.

Some questions:

What nights will be formal on the 8 day cruise? (I want to book the steakhouse and am trying to decide on which night)

How formal do men dress?

I have read that there is only one power outlet in the room. Where is it located? I have a CPAP and a sound machine that I need while sleeping. Do I need to bring a power strip with a long cord?

I am staying on deck 8 midship and have read threads about noise coming from the deck above. Is this going to be a major problem?

Thanks for the replies!!

1. Elegant nights were 1st sea day and Jamaica.

2. My DH wears dress slacks, dress shirt and tie. Some wore suits, a couple in tuxes, but the majority will dress as DH does.

3. Don't know about internet as I have never purchased it.

4. FTTF, suites and platinum/diamonds all have the same priority line upon embarkation. You will see signs all over directing you where to go.

5. Only one outlet at the desk in the cabin. You would need to bring a power strip for your machine. There are a few threads discussing this.

6. We only stay on decks 6 or 7 so I don't know about the noise issues.

Hope this helps!:)

I am looking forward to this thread as well.

My fiance and I booked our honeymoon on Freedom for the July 26th sailing to Turks, Dominican, Curacao, and Aruba. We are staying in 8450, the aft extended balcony. I have heard that this balcony, due to the layout of the ship, is larger than other aft balconies. If anyone can confirm this with more recent photos within the last year that would be great. Supposedly it has 2 sun chaise loungers, as well as a cocktail table and chairs? I am hoping the upgrades of Freedom will be awesome and all 2.0 upgrades will end up being there!

Sailing on Freedom in 110 days! Was on this ship two years ago. I have been on Sensation, Legend, Mircale, Pride & Freedom and Freedom was my favorite. Looking forward to seeing what the dry dock will bring.

Sounds great! I've been on Pride, Glory (2.0) and the Enchantment of the Seas (RCI). I'm very excited. 83 days!

I haven't really seen a thread for any Freedom threads, but I really want to have one where people can leave reviews, photos, opinions, stories and links that can help people waiting for their cruise to help pass the time or people who have done the Freedom can relive some memories from their trip.

So let's get this thread going!

Happy Cruising!

Just back from 8 day Jan 11-19.

This was our second cruise on the Freedom, we did a B2B in Sept and Oct this year. It's odd the difference a few months make on a ship. I would give the B2B an 8 on a scale of 10. This one a 5.

The captain and cruise director and staff both changed and I think this made a difference.

Positive:

Steakhouse - We dined there twice. Well worth the money.

Room Steward and Staff - 10+

Cover band: Music Degree - best band I've encountered on a ship. They were the highlight of the entertainment.

Negative:

Buffet selection - There were three days we couldn't find anything appetizing on the buffet. We tried the grill and were served overcooked burgers and cold hot dogs.

Bar service - I think the Food Service Manager has really laid down the law with the bartenders. Liquor was strictly measured; no free pouring.

MDR staff - Service was very slow. On a couple of nights, it was an hour before the entrees were served. We were at a table for 10 of which only 6 of us showed. Still the the wrong entrees were delivered.

The biggest negative on this trip was the room. I would strongly advise everyone to avoid room 1028. The walls creaked like a wooden sailing vessel the entire time the ship was in motion. The noise was loud enough to wake us at night. Multiple visits from maintenance was ineffective at solving this problem.

This was our 16th cruise w/Carnival so we kinda know what to expect and this trip missed the mark.

Edited by CRJ700

We were on Freedom in October 2012 and we loved it. Here is my review, I took a lot of pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732759&highlight=freedom+review

I am booked on the Freedom at the end of next month, and am getting a little worried because I have read some negative reviews lately. Mainly, I picked this cruise for Tortola and Antigua. I sure hope that I am not disappointed in the Freedom, because I have good memories from the last time!

I wish they would let us know some of the things they will be doing. for john to say we will be pleased doesn't mean a lot. they said they had a big announcement and it ended up being dr seuss.

This exactly!

I'm so hoping that the dry dock will be for 2.0 upgrades. Can it be done in two weeks?!?!?

I'm dying to know!

We are sailing May 10, a week after the drydock ends. We've never sailed right after a drydock. My biggest concern is the construction will still be in progress and disrupt passengers. Anyone have experience in sailings right after a drydock?

So has there been any official word on exactly what the upgrades at dry dock will be? I've been searching, but have only seen the thread about guys burgers.

Thanks.

Karen

John Heald said on his Facebook page yesterday that he will announce Freedoms upgrades this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

John Heald said on his Facebook page yesterday that he will announce Freedoms upgrades this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great, thanks so much...I will keep an eye out.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Some questions:

How formal do men dress?

Thanks for the replies!!

Not sure what your cabin number is but you may have a lot if noise. You are below the Lido deck and may be under the pool. Also lots of noise from deck chairs scraping.

I am looking forward to this thread as well.

My fiance and I booked our honeymoon on Freedom for the July 26th sailing to Turks, Dominican, Curacao, and Aruba. We are staying in 8450, the aft extended balcony. I have heard that this balcony, due to the layout of the ship, is larger than other aft balconies. If anyone can confirm this with more recent photos within the last year that would be great. Supposedly it has 2 sun chaise loungers, as well as a cocktail table and chairs? I am hoping the upgrades of Freedom will be awesome and all 2.0 upgrades will end up being there!

The aft balconies are great and they are deeper which is really nice. I think it would be really crowded to have 2 chaise loungers and 2 chairs with a table. I think most of them are set up with 2 chairs and a table and you can ask your room steward to bring you a lounger if you want one. You can check cabin photos on cruise line rooms dot com. I did not see your cabin but you can look at others like your cabin they have pictures of 8457 and 7451.

• 2 months later...