First time to Jamaica - Dunns River Falls/Secret Falls (Irie Blue Hole)

descotes

First time going to Jamaica with 2 boys aged 14 & 12. Should we see both of these places or choose one or the other? How much time is spent at each place approx?

Was thinking of taking one of the tour companies and would also like to throw in lunch and maybe some sightseeing. Is that too much packed into a 10-7 day?

Also I see there is tubing, is that fun to do? Sorry for so many questions but a first timer.

Thanks

Stacy

First of all, what ship are you on - where do you port? We were just there a few weeks ago. We used Noel (Steve) Smith. He is AWESOME. You can hire him for the day. We did river tubing and then Dunns River. He timed it so we got to the Falls just as all the massive tour coach buses were leaving. Don't let all the reviews and photos of the crowds at Dunn's Falls persuade you to skip it. It is an incredible experience. We climbed on our own with no guide. Hardly anyone on the falls with us - took tons of photos and the kids played in the little pools and under the falls - Priceless! The river tubing was so much fun - I highly recommend these to activities for a perfect day in Jamaica. We also stopped for authentic jerk chicken and pork. I also had Steve stop several times when we saw interesting sights along the road. I love taking photos. You'd never be able to do this with a ship excursion or even a private tour with another family. Private tour with Steve is the way to go!

First time going to Jamaica with 2 boys aged 14 & 12. Should we see both of these places or choose one or the other? How much time is spent at each place approx?

Was thinking of taking one of the tour companies and would also like to throw in lunch and maybe some sightseeing. Is that too much packed into a 10-7 day?

Also I see there is tubing, is that fun to do? Sorry for so many questions but a first timer.

Thanks

Stacy

I suggest the Blue Hole with Liberty Tours Jamaica. Your kids will LOVE this!

Here is a short video of what we did this past summer.

I highly recommend them. This by far was the best tour I have done

with a private company. They will take you river tubing as well, lunch at Scotchies, and you can design your own tour. It is not too much to do in one day. The Blue Hole was the highlight of our cruise!

Edited by rosebud1g

Irie Blue Hole beats the heck out of Dunns River which is crowded, touristy and you have to deal with a lot of aggressive vendors. Irie Blue Hole is the exact opposite and much more beautiful and exciting. The day we were there we didn't see more than maybe ten people outside our small group of six.We went with Courtney Taylor and would highly recommend him.

Stay at Irie would be 2-3 hours. We also did lunch at Scottchies, some shopping at a nice little market where we could shop in peace without being harassed and then taken back to the port at Falmouth. Travel time from the port to Irie is just shy of an hour.

Ok, so if we do Irie with Liberty Tours is Irie the whole day? What else can we/should we do besides eat at Scotchies?

Docking in Falmouth. Is it a long ride there?

After Secret Falls, Ricardo took us to an overlook at Shaw Park for some sight seeing and picture taking. The Carnival Breeze was docked and we took some lovely pictures with the ship, beach and resorts in the back ground. It was a full day with a lot packed in.