Dancing on queen victoria's world cruise

Slow Foxtrot

On this first sector of Queen Victoria's World Cruise the dancing facilities are very similar to those on the QM2. There is Ballroom & Latin dancing almost every night in the Queens Room with the music alternating between the Queens Room Orchestra and CDs.

As always, on the special 'Ball' nights the dance floor is very crowded but there are quieter periods either early or late or when the CD interludes occur.

So far they have arranged two special Sequence Dances (mainly for the Brits) and on most days there is free tuition in Ballroom! Latin, and Line Dancing. Add to this the nightly Disco Dancing in the intimate Hemispheres and there is, more or less, something for everybody.

In the main ballroom, so far, there has been next to no arm-flailing observed but this may change when the new intake of dancers board at Fort Lauderdale:)

Only one black mark to date; on a couple of occasions they have advertised periods of Ballroom & Latin dancing in Hemispheres Night Club. The floor there (in ballroom dancing terms) is about the size of a large dinner-plate. And it's not yet April 1st. So they must be serious !!!!

Dancing in Hemispheres is a regular occurrence during the 7.45 slot, when Sequence is on down below or when there's a cocktail party. We adjust our steps and laugh a lot more.

Actually, I find it difficult in Hemispheres, perhaps because it's higher in the ship and there's more movement. It seems to affect my balance. On my last cruise I actually stayed in the ballroom and learnt a few sequence dances!

This is essentially the same as the Yacht Club on QE on my last trip, and a considerable improvement over G32.

Did you find the inlay in the centre of the Hemispheres floor, the metal strips tend to be a bit higher and catch your shoe?

I wondered if it might be due to wood and metal expanding at different rates, which would vary with temperature and humidity. But if the wood is breaking up and splintering, that sounds a bit worrisome. Perhaps there are posters with knowledge of wood flooring?

QE has a tile mosaic in the centre, which doesn't strike me as a perfect solution.

I wondered if it might be due to wood and metal expanding at different rates, which would vary with temperature and humidity. But if the wood is breaking up and splintering, that sounds a bit worrisome. Perhaps there are posters with knowledge of wood flooring?

QE has a tile mosaic in the centre, which doesn't strike me as a perfect solution.

Anything but a wooden dance floor is anathema to knowledgable dancers. I see that Hemispheres on Queen Victoria is mostly wood but with inlaid brass banding near the middle. Serviceable for disco and suchlike but, apart from the very small size, totally unsuitable for ballroom dancing. However, the Queens Room floor is smooth and dances very well.

We've got one really top notch host on QE, I can't say enough good things about him! The others I can take or leave, and two haven't turned up since the first night, which is really quite surprising.

Paul Ritchie is aboard at the moment which adds a nice dimension. Tomorrow night is Strictly Come Dancing. I really wonder at the format, you have to do a waltz, a cha-cha and a jive. . . on a formal night? In our full length gowns? I've decided to give it a pass as the gown I had made for Starlight Balls (which this is) is not at all conducive to Latin, and is geared for more traditional ballroom styles.

Some of the hosts dance American style, the gent from Vegas dances all four styles, and there are at least two who seem to dance only International. They all depart in San Fran and then we will have all new hosts on. . .

We've got one really top notch host on QE, I can't say enough good things about him! The others I can take or leave, and two haven't turned up since the first night, which is really quite surprising.

I found what I considered a really top-notch Host on my October cruise while there was one I preferred not to dance with. However, beginner dancers had the completely opposite opinion to mine! It was a good reminder to me that we need Hosts with all different styles. Personally, though, my best memories of that cruise are dancing to the best of my ability with that one Host. :D

It's strange that two haven't turned up. Perhaps they have the dreaded Norovirus and are in quarantine! Were they introduced as Hosts? On my last cruise I danced with a passenger who said he turned up one night and found he was wearing the same 'uniform' as the Hosts - so went back to his room to change, so that he wouldn't be misidentified. ;) (He knew the drill; he had been a Host about ten years earlier.)

I found what I considered a really top-notch Host on my October cruise while there was one I preferred not to dance with. However, beginner dancers had the completely opposite opinion to mine! It was a good reminder to me that we need Hosts with all different styles. Personally, though, my best memories of that cruise are dancing to the best of my ability with that one Host. :D

It's strange that two haven't turned up. Perhaps they have the dreaded Norovirus and are in quarantine! Were they introduced as Hosts? On my last cruise I danced with a passenger who said he turned up one night and found he was wearing the same 'uniform' as the Hosts - so went back to his room to change, so that he wouldn't be misidentified. ;) (He knew the drill; he had been a Host about ten years earlier.)

They definitely are, as they had the name plaques on the first night, and I had danced with one of them. The other I see up in Churchill's from time to time having a cigar, so I've no explanation whatsoever.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the correct message board site for general Cunard shipboard dancing commentary, and the posts are not very current. If not, maybe someone will offer alternative CC site suggestions. Oh well.]

Inquiring about more recent QV ballroom dance experiences.

We have thoroughly enjoyed dancing aboard the QM2, both in the Queen's Ballroom and G32. Such fun. The G32 'XtaSea' group was quite good, and we enjoyed fun not-too-crowded 'small-space' dancing the FT, NC2S, the Cha, ECS, WCS, etc.

Someone offer dance experiences aboard the QV.

Thanks

Hi Tom and Carol. What, specifically, would you like to know? I was on the QV in October. This thread was started by someone on the QV in January. We have both talked about ballroom dancing and sequence dancing.

My feeling is that the dance experience varies from cruise to cruise, depending on who is there. I had a fantastic experience in October with some great Dance Hosts and lots of other people on the floor. The ballroom was full of friendly people. I returned in October and everything was different. There were fewer people in the ballroom each night and they were less friendly. The Dance Hosts were completely different, too, and I think their attitude can help to set the tone for the ballroom.

I am not sure who is singing on QV at the moment. The lady who was there in October & November has since left. I think the singer makes a difference to the atmosphere.

Hi Tom and Carol. I've only been on QM2 once, and I hadn't got back into dancing then. From what I've heard, I think QV's ballroom is slightly smaller. It's also in a different location. Whereas QM2's is a separate room, I think right at the back of the ship?, on QV it's closer to midships. A passageway runs alongside it and people can look into the ballroom from that passage and also from the balcony above. I wasn't too sure of that the first time I travelled on QV, but now I think I would find it disconcerting to be restricted on QM2.

I have only been in Hemispheres at times when the 7.45 ballroom dancing session was held there (when something else was happening in the ballroom) or just passing by at times when it was empty. I didn't ever visit G32, so I can't compare them in size.

I'm sorry I can't help you more but hopefully someone else will contribute their knowledge.

This is what ask.cunard.com says:

Queen Mary 2's dance floor in the Queens Room is the largest dance floor at sea - approximately 29ft x 42ft (1,225 sq ft)

On Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth the dance floors are:

The Queens Room - approximately 23.4ft x 42.2ft.

Hemispheres / The Yacht Club - approximately 21.1ft x 18.5ft

Note that the QM2 dance floor is rectangular, but QV/QE are not. I don't have my notes with me, but a 20' x 24' rectangle with an 20' semicircle tacked onto the end sounds about right. YC and HS are circular, with a bit nipped off for the display. G32 is rather weirdly shaped with a pillar so dimensions don't really convey usefulness.

"Largest" is a tricky concept. Costa Luminosa and Deliziosa are about 32' x a bit short of 50', but that does include 4 pillars. Crystal Serenity has 2 floors which I recall as not being much smaller than QM2, if they took the furniture on the floor away.

I agree with fantasy51 about different passenger mix, I've done B2B cruises that were radically different. I also agree the Caribbean groups are much under-appreciated, they can do some very nice contemporary Latin when they try.

Edited by Dancer Bob

?..... Crystal Serenity has 2 floors which I recall as not being much smaller than QM2, if they took the furniture on the floor away...........

That's a problem on many dance floors. Either the waiters or other staff decide to place extra tables and chairs on the edge of the dance floor and hence the dance space is further reduced. Even at the famous Blackpool Tower Ballroom the floor has got progressively smaller over the years. Seems they all want more viewers and less dancers!