Camp Carnival Sign In and Out

gbutzin

The biggest reason we let our son sign himself in & out is so that he could take part in the scavenger hunts. They were my sons favorite activity and this time our daughter will be 9 so she will get to do it & she can't wait.

The first couple of days we did the actual drop off/pick up - but that changed later. For example, we would be eating at the lido for lunch and our son would leave from there and check himself in for an activity & we would say where to meet when it was done. It was scary at first, but he became quite proud to be able to do it & I'll admit it was nice to finish a hot lunch. He knew his way around the ship better than us.:cool:

We allowed our son to sign himself out when he was in that age group, mainly so he could participate in scavenger hunts. When he was 9 we met him outside Camp Carnival when it was over, but by the time he was 11 we were comfortable letting him meet us on Lido deck or go back to the cabin. We made sure to have a planned meeting place, though.

We are going on the Breeze in August my daughter will be 9 years old. Will she be able to sign herself in and out or will we have to pick her up every time? Thx

Again, your choice, but some activities require sign out privileges. I would suggest walkie-talkies as a method of keeping in touch.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My daughter is a little younger than your children, but this is our first time on a cruise ship coming up here soon. I am absolutely TERRIFIED that she will somehow get out of the camp, and get lost on the ship. Like nightmares terrified. Did any of you have any of those fears before? I am not going to subject her to the camp if she doesn't like it, and we plan to keep her with us at all ports; unless she really wants to stay back in the camp.

My daughter is a little younger than your children, but this is our first time on a cruise ship coming up here soon. I am absolutely TERRIFIED that she will somehow get out of the camp, and get lost on the ship. Like nightmares terrified. Did any of you have any of those fears before? I am not going to subject her to the camp if she doesn't like it, and we plan to keep her with us at all ports; unless she really wants to stay back in the camp.
Our youngest son was 4 on our first cruise. He's about to turn 14. In all the years we used Camp Carnival, I never had any worries about our sons. Camp Carnival does a really good job watching the kids. Any time they're out and about the ship traveling to and from activities, you will see several counselors watching them, and under age 9 they must be signed in and out by a parent or other authorized adult. In all our cruises, I never heard of a child wandering off from Camp Carnival.

Our kids loved Camp Carnival. On our first cruise, our oldest was 13. This was before Circle C. One night we ran into him at the aft pool with his group having a pool party; he had a pizza slice in one hand, an ice cream cone in the other, proclaiming "I LOVE this!" Ten years later, he's an Ensign in the US Navy. Different kind of sailing, but I like to think the cruise bug bit him hard.:p

If any of my sons didn't like Camp Carnival, I certainly wouldn't send him. And we never used Camp Carnival in port - I wanted sons to see the places we were visiting. But I would encourage you to let your daughter try it.

I'm just going by what I've learned and heard. The kid's who go to Camp Carnival love it! My friend's say that they have to "drag" their kid's out just to go to dinner or on a tour. I'd suggest that you let her make the decision. As long as you sign her in and out she's not going to get lost. If she doesn't want to stay in CC, she'll let you know :D!

Our youngest son was 4 on our first cruise. He's about to turn 14. In all the years we used Camp Carnival, I never had any worries about our sons. Camp Carnival does a really good job watching the kids. Any time they're out and about the ship traveling to and from activities, you will see several counselors watching them, and under age 9 they must be signed in and out by a parent or other authorized adult. In all our cruises, I never heard of a child wandering off from Camp Carnival.

Our kids loved Camp Carnival. On our first cruise, our oldest was 13. This was before Circle C. One night we ran into him at the aft pool with his group having a pool party; he had a pizza slice in one hand, an ice cream cone in the other, proclaiming "I LOVE this!" Ten years later, he's an Ensign in the US Navy. Different kind of sailing, but I like to think the cruise bug bit him hard.:p

If any of my sons didn't like Camp Carnival, I certainly wouldn't send him. And we never used Camp Carnival in port - I wanted sons to see the places we were visiting. But I would encourage you to let your daughter try it.

Your kids sound great!!! Your experiences make me feel better. I think that would have been so awesome to see with your son so excited at the pool party!! I think my daughter will really enjoy it as well; she is seven. I guess it depends on how many other children are there. I agree with you when you say that you want to show your kids the places you are visiting. That was my sentiment exactly! :) (unless she is soooo determined to stay back for whatever reason)

I'm just going by what I've learned and heard. The kid's who go to Camp Carnival love it! My friend's say that they have to "drag" their kid's out just to go to dinner or on a tour. I'd suggest that you let her make the decision. As long as you sign her in and out she's not going to get lost. If she doesn't want to stay in CC, she'll let you know :D!

Thank you! I can totally picture me trying to drag her out of there. Lol! She has never been to a camp per say, but she is in Girl Scouts. She likes the gatherings there. I have told her about the Night Owl parties, and I already know that there is one with unlimited ice cream. lol! I know she is already looking forward to that experience!!!

So my son is really responsible but I'm really nervous about letting him sign himself out ? He has been on 9 cruises and is 10 years old but it still makes me nervous. Please give me your thoughts. Also he is an only child so it's not like he will be with someone else. THanks Jen

So my son is really responsible but I'm really nervous about letting him sign himself out ? He has been on 9 cruises and is 10 years old but it still makes me nervous. Please give me your thoughts. Also he is an only child so it's not like he will be with someone else. THanks Jen

Ditto. My ten year old daughter has been on two prior cruises amd, while very responsible, I cannot fathom letting her loose on a ship with thousands of strangers. Some of whom are surely perverts/criminals, etc. If she had a friend with her that would be one thing but flying solo at this age? I think not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I decided to allow sign out for my son because they can't go to the bathroom if they can't sign themselves out. I will explain that is the only reason he can sign himself out or there will be consequences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huh?!?!?! There is a bathroom in the kids club.

We gave our youngest signing in and out privileges but walked him to the Camp Carnival meeting place and met him there at the end of camp. That allowed him to do the scavenger hunts but avoided having him walking around the ship by himself. Funny story, though - When he was 10, DH and I booked the "Behind the Fun" tour for ourselves. Camp Carnival's morning session ended before the tour ended, so we told son to sign himself out and go back to our cabin, where we would meet him and go to lunch. Now, one of the gifts from the Behind the Fun tour was a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries, delivered to your cabin. DS dutifully signed out of Camp Carnival, went back to our cabin - and found the plate of chocolate-covered strawberries. Suffice it to say that DH and I got to share one strawberry and DS wasn't very hungry for lunch.:p

Yes I had those same fears. Last year we sailed on one of the smaller-sized fantasy class ships, and I was a nervous wreck about the whole thing. I joined this site to get as much insight as I could about camp carnival. My kids were 5 and 10. One very outgoing and one not so much.

I can tell you that they both loved camp carnival 100%. My youngest literally cried for 10 minutes the night before while we were packing because she didn't want to get off the ship and wanted to go back to camp. I also remember distinctly being opposed to leaving them on the ship while in port. Claimed I would never do that. Well once we returned, I reported back that we did in fact leave the kids onboard while we got off during our Nassau stop. I was nervous about it but they were perfectly safe and fine.

The counselors are great, and I found the activities easy going and fun for the kids. Nothing competitive that could potentially alienated anyone. I even had a few of the kids in the older groups come to us for help with their scavenger hunt or whatever it was they were doing.

My only (petty) complaint with camp is that there can be alot of extra charges depending on how you use it. We used camp more in the afternoons and evenings. If you sign up for night owls, it is a per-kid fee nightly. Plus even for a short cruise, there were alot of pay-for activities. We didn't mind spending the money, don't get me wrong. Nothing was overpriced IMO. But I wish they had a package or something to offer as an option. I felt like I was always giving them my S&S card to swipe. :)

I would suggest you pre-register them online. Then all you have to do is turn in your paperwork just before the orientation starts. DO go to the orientation and get a ship cell phone if your child is 5 and under. We never used it but it made us feel better having it. And look over the schedule the night before. Enjoy your family vacation!

TO THE OP: Last year I did not allow my 10yo to sign himself out. This year, being he is a year older and this is not his first cruise, I am thinking I will loosen the grip and allow him to sign himself out. ;)

DS will be 9 on our next cruise, and DD 8. I'm thinking about giving DS sign in/out privileges. We've actually been talking about it for the last few cruises to get prepared. My main concern is that DD(8) will want to leave with him, and she'll get upset when he leaves. Of course they both have so much fun, that probably won't be an issue. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if I could findd a set of walkie talkies that actually work. 2 different sets, neither of which have worked so far.

I decided to allow sign out for my son because they can't go to the bathroom if they can't sign themselves out. I will explain that is the only reason he can sign himself out or there will be consequences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sure they allow the kids who can't sign themselves out to go to the bathroom. What consequences? Either you allow them to sign themselves in and out or you don't. If you allow it, they are able to sign themselves out anytime they want.

My daughter was 9 on our Fantasy cruise last year and we gave her sign out privileges. We started the week very slowly. We would walk her to camp and arrange to meet her at a certain time right outside camp. We were most interested in if she would keep track of time or forget because she was having such fun. This went well, so the next day we let her walk from the buffet, check herself in and then meet us at camp at a certain time.

By the middle of the week, both of us were comfortable in that she could navigate the ship and keep track of time. It gave her a huge confidence boost to do this.

My son, who is 7, is not a fan of camp. He'll go once in a while, but is content hanging around with whatever we're doing. So, not every kid has to be dragged out.

We also always make a point of making sure everyone gets one-on-one time with everyone else (including dh and me!). DD and I usually go to tea time or play a game together in the library. DS and I usually go to the pool.

Is your daughter verbal?

If your daughter is verbal, teach her to find a mother if she needs help. Statistically speaking, a mother won't harm a child she doesn't know.

Also, if you're a reader, "Protecting the Gift" is a great book and will help with your anxieties.

Edited by Andoria

I'm not sure if this will work but I'm trying to add a picture of the camp schedules. You can get them at orientation and throughout out the week. It lists the free activities that run from 10am to 10 pm. Then the for a fee programs start. Excuse the highlighting. That was my daughter choosing her not to be missed activities. ImageUploadedByForums1389666861.543964.jpg.742d715988c2988b6cd52421e8a5790c.jpg

Yes I had those same fears. Last year we sailed on one of the smaller-sized fantasy class ships, and I was a nervous wreck about the whole thing. I joined this site to get as much insight as I could about camp carnival. My kids were 5 and 10. One very outgoing and one not so much.

I can tell you that they both loved camp carnival 100%. My youngest literally cried for 10 minutes the night before while we were packing because she didn't want to get off the ship and wanted to go back to camp. I also remember distinctly being opposed to leaving them on the ship while in port. Claimed I would never do that. Well once we returned, I reported back that we did in fact leave the kids onboard while we got off during our Nassau stop. I was nervous about it but they were perfectly safe and fine.

The counselors are great, and I found the activities easy going and fun for the kids. Nothing competitive that could potentially alienated anyone. I even had a few of the kids in the older groups come to us for help with their scavenger hunt or whatever it was they were doing.

My only (petty) complaint with camp is that there can be alot of extra charges depending on how you use it. We used camp more in the afternoons and evenings. If you sign up for night owls, it is a per-kid fee nightly. Plus even for a short cruise, there were alot of pay-for activities. We didn't mind spending the money, don't get me wrong. Nothing was overpriced IMO. But I wish they had a package or something to offer as an option. I felt like I was always giving them my S&S card to swipe. :)

I would suggest you pre-register them online. Then all you have to do is turn in your paperwork just before the orientation starts. DO go to the orientation and get a ship cell phone if your child is 5 and under. We never used it but it made us feel better having it. And look over the schedule the night before. Enjoy your family vacation!

TO THE OP: Last year I did not allow my 10yo to sign himself out. This year, being he is a year older and this is not his first cruise, I am thinking I will loosen the grip and allow him to sign himself out. ;)

Thank you! Great advice! She is seven, so too old to get the ship cell phone. I wish we could get one of those, that would make me feel better. My carrier and phone type doesn't allow overseas calling. Which is strange, I have been with the same one for over 10 years, but I guess it has something to do with the Galaxy II phone.

I have thought the same things about the ports. I guess it will depend on what she would like to do.

What types of things do you have to pay for while in Camp Carnival? Just curious so that I know to be prepared.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if this will work but I'm trying to add a picture of the camp schedules. You can get them at orientation and throughout out the week. It lists the free activities that run from 10am to 10 pm. Then the for a fee programs start. Excuse the highlighting. That was my daughter choosing her not to be missed activities. [ATTACH]298703[/ATTACH]

Thank you!!! So cute that your daughter highlighted what she wanted to do! :)