using cell phone before leaving embarkation p.

No they do NOT run the towers in port. They would get a huge fine if that happened. Not a chance. Is it physically possible? Yes. Is it likely? Nope.
The standard for ship towers is to automatically shut down when the signal strength from other towers exceeds a certain level. This SHOULD occur some distance outside the port, but it is not foolproof.

I'm curious if you read the post immediately above yours (and posted almost four hours before you). Apparently there is a chance.

The standard for ship towers is to automatically shut down when the signal strength from other towers exceeds a certain level. This SHOULD occur some distance outside the port, but it is not foolproof.

I'm curious if you read the post immediately above yours (and posted almost four hours before you). Apparently there is a chance.

yes because if someone posted it thn its true. :rolleyes: More likely she made a call before port. If you are bright enough to see on your phone display that you are on cellular at sea or at least roaming. Who just picks up their phone making calls willy nilly in a foreign country assuming 'hey it must be free'? sheesh

yes because if someone posted it thn its true. :rolleyes: More likely she made a call before port. If you are bright enough to see on your phone display that you are on cellular at sea or at least roaming. Who just picks up their phone making calls willy nilly in a foreign country assuming 'hey it must be free'? sheesh

OK.

I did NOT make a call. I am a UK mobile phone user with a plan that allows me use in the US. I get updates from the provider stating the rate I am on as the provider changes. When ashore I received the update stating my US plan was in operation. Came back to ship. I went online in WindJammer. I subsequently saw that I was on the Cellular at Sea network. Not bright enough to have checked that I was still on the US provider system. I did say I had learnt my lesson. And it's never free for me when I am out of the UK.

OK.

I did NOT make a call. I am a UK mobile phone user with a plan that allows me use in the US. I get updates from the provider stating the rate I am on as the provider changes. When ashore I received the update stating my US plan was in operation. Came back to ship. I went online in WindJammer. I subsequently saw that I was on the Cellular at Sea network. Not bright enough to have checked that I was still on the US provider system. I did say I had learnt my lesson. And it's never free for me when I am out of the UK.

Bottom line is the ships towers do NOT operate in port. Glad you learned your lesson though.;)

We sail out tomorrow (1/13/14) from Port Canaveral (we're locals) on RC. This made me just call our provider (AT&T) to double check. It's extremely expensive once you're out to sea I found out. However, I purchased a cheap package deal to help us keep in touch with our daughter for the next few days.

For $10, they offer 50 text messages. All incoming texts are FREE. So my Mother can text me all day and send me photos of our daughter about how she's doing, as well as our friends taking care of our house and it's free. We can send out 50 messages during our four day period which I believe is more than enough.

HOWEVER, they told us to make sure data is off at all times and airplane mode is to be used when we're not texting.

Once we're ready to check or send a text message we will turn off the airplane mode and are able to text. With the data already turned off, it will prevent the internet or apps from running so we don't rack up charges. :)

OH AND! ...She said you will usually have service with the providers towers for 8-10 miles before the ship turns their tower on =)

Edited by ShakerFamily

We sail out tomorrow (1/13/14) from Port Canaveral (we're locals) on RC. This made me just call our provider (AT&T) to double check. It's extremely expensive once you're out to sea I found out. However, I purchased a cheap package deal to help us keep in touch with our daughter for the next few days.

For $10, they offer 50 text messages. All incoming texts are FREE. So my Mother can text me all day and send me photos of our daughter about how she's doing, as well as our friends taking care of our house and it's free. We can send out 50 messages during our four day period which I believe is more than enough.

HOWEVER, they told us to make sure data is off at all times and airplane mode is to be used when we're not texting.

Once we're ready to check or send a text message we will turn off the airplane mode and are able to text. With the data already turned off, it will prevent the internet or apps from running so we don't rack up charges. :)

OH AND! ...She said you will usually have service with the providers towers for 8-10 miles before the ship turns their tower on =)

Just so you are aware, you must have data on to receive text messages with photos. So you may want to tell the folks at home to use simple text messages, no photos or video. On my iPhone, when I have data off, if someone sends me an MMS text (text with photo), there's no indication on the phone at all.