Thoughts about the Bahamas?

ToAdam12

So I was looking to book a southern trip out of Miami and I keep hearing of a lot of crime and violent crime at that. Is it worth the trip?

We are doing the Bahamas out of Jacksonville in October and can't wait...Loved our previous Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises.

I know I am not addressing your "Miami crime" question... but I will tell you we were OVERLY worried in October (2013) about Jamaica because we had also heard of " a lot of crime" and we had NOT a single issue.

Take the same precautions with your family as you would anywhere....and take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Have a great cruise

2012 Splendor

2013 Magic

2014 Fascination

Edited by hannahsmomtoo

We went to the Bahamas last year and didn't notice any crime or violence. We did stay near resorts and crowds and didn't wander off. Next time, we'd prefer to go somewhere other than the Bahamas though - but that's just us. We had a good time!

So I was looking to book a southern trip out of Miami and I keep hearing of a lot of crime and violent crime at that. Is it worth the trip?

Nassau is not a place i would wander around at night and we have even gotten a memo from the ship's Captain warning to be careful. But during the day, in the main areas (not off the beaten path) you should be fine.

Most times we no longer get off the ship in Nassau but thats because we have been so many times and prefer a quiet day on the ship.

Now if you are talking about Half Moon Cay.......now thats a slice of Heaven on earth!!!!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

I understand taking things with a grain of salt but someone was robbed at Senior Frogs. This was in the Bahamas news paper. It looks like it would be Nassau? I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth getting off of the boat.

There is crime in most all of the ports but in most cases it is not in the highly populated tourist areas (other than pickpockets). You just have to be smart just as you would be in any City in the US. Be aware of your surroundings and be smart about carrying your money, credit cards and ID and don't walk around alone. I look forward to visiting Nassau and Freeport on my upcoming cruise.

So I was looking to book a southern trip out of Miami and I keep hearing of a

lot of crime and violent crime at that. Is it worth the trip?

Hi Adam :)

I would only be concerned about Nassau. During my last voyage, we were

on Carnival Splendor May/June 2013, and were given an extra written

(Warning Notice) notifying us of a higher than normal crime rate occurring

against tourists & instructing us take proper precautions.

This was on top of the regular precaution notice that is located on

the front of a daily Carnival 'Fun Times' that reads:

"Please remember that when visiting any destination on vacation,

it is important to stay in main tourist areas, not carry large amounts

of cash or jewelry, and generally be aware of your surroundings".

:)

We sailed out of Miami in 2011 and stopped in Nassau in that trip. We've sailed to Nassau numerous times and I've never felt unsafe... Now, Miami on the other hand was quite a bit to handle. We encountered more of a language barrier in Miami than anywhere else on our trip, and we are from Florida... I tried to stop at a grocery store to buy stamps to mail a card and could not find anyone who spoke English. It was a surreal experience.

Nassau is not a place i would wander around at night and we have even gotten a memo from the ship's Captain warning to be careful. But during the day, in the main areas (not off the beaten path) you should be fine.

Most times we no longer get off the ship in Nassau but thats because we have been so many times and prefer a quiet day on the ship.

Now if you are talking about Half Moon Cay.......now thats a slice of Heaven on earth!!!!!!

agreed

We sailed out of Miami in 2011 and stopped in Nassau in that trip. We've sailed to Nassau numerous times and I've never felt unsafe... Now, Miami on the other hand was quite a bit to handle. We encountered more of a language barrier in Miami than anywhere else on our trip, and we are from Florida... I tried to stop at a grocery store to buy stamps to mail a card and could not find anyone who spoke English. It was a surreal experience.

I live in Miami and understand what u mean about the language issue. But what freaks me is how no one is reporting on sites like CC about what's going on. I mean someone was robbed at senior frogs which is right next to the dock. It was all that long ago.

I was there last week. First I went on a running tour with someone I found in the Internet. After showering and changing my husband and sons rented scooters and they dropped me off( alone) at cabbage beach for a few hours before coming back for me. I felt safe at all times and found the locals to be very nice. I had a much better day than expected based off what I was reading in these boards.