Ferrol

blitznbobs

Hi I've tried posting this on the ports of call forum but got no reply. In my head (although I've never been) I've termed this a 'non destination' (cf Vigo) this might not be fair and I'd be glad to hear that is the case - but I have also heard there is a beach in easy reach - with 2 kids this seems a good option - can I get to the beach by public transport or affordable taxi run??? Or should I just stay on board??

Vigo is one of those odd ports with not a lot to do, there is a shopping mall outside where the ship docks and Oyster restaurants in easy reach. If you come out the terminal and turn right (west) down the coast road there are some beaches, takes about 20 minutes to walk. If you look on Google maps then the satellite view of Vigo you can see them quite clearly.

Hi I've tried posting this on the ports of call forum but got no reply. In my head (although I've never been) I've termed this a 'non destination' (cf Vigo) this might not be fair and I'd be glad to hear that is the case - but I have also heard there is a beach in easy reach - with 2 kids this seems a good option - can I get to the beach by public transport or affordable taxi run??? Or should I just stay on board??

Hi Blitznbobs

It would be a shame not to go ashore in Ferrol. I haven't been to the beaches near to Ferrol, but for me the Maritime museum is not to be missed - not sure how old your children are but they may be interested in the naval history of Ferrol.

The Armada set sail from there - Franco was born there - it is the start of the Camino Inglese (the 'English Way' - the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela).

Its also quite a pleasant shopping center and there are some really good Tapas bars, although I guess with the children in tow you won't be able to visit them - we enjoyed a fabulous afternoon in one tapas bar with the locals, and the bill came to 8 euros for several glasses of wine and several Tapas.

Which ship are you on to go there?

BTW we like Vigo. It feels as if it is real Spain. However the economic climate in that country was having a toll last time we were there. Lots more graffiti.

We stopped at Ferrol in 2012 when our ports in Portugal were cancelled through strike action. It was quite pleasant with shuttle buses provided into the town. Only problem was the fact that most of the shops were closed although this might not be the case now with the ships scheduled to stop there. Had a lovely pint of the local brew in the port area but had to order these in Spanish as they did not understand our English.

Which ship are you on to go there?

BTW we like Vigo. It feels as if it is real Spain. However the economic climate in that country was having a toll last time we were there. Lots more graffiti.

We're on azura in the summer...