Bioluminescent Bay

Karencruiser43

Hi Karen,

From what I have researched, the best times to go are as close to a new moon (no moon out) as possible. Apparently there are more than one of the bays around PR. The best is supposed to be in Vieques island off the eastern end of PR. Some have kayak ones where you paddle, but I am going to try www.eastwindcats.com on Sept 3rd where I think they take you in a small electric boat to get there after riding on a catamaran from Fajardo. Bad thing is it is an hour and half ride from San Juan to Fajardo and they don't have night transportation, so you will have to take a cab, plane, or if senseless like me rent a vehicle. If you do a search on the boards for that url, there are reviews of it, and plenty of reviews for the kayaking ones also.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Fuzdaduck

I have a friend who lives in San Juan. I'm trying to get in touch with her to get a locals view of the Catamaran tour. We are very interested in doing it pre-cruise in Jan. I'll post when she gets back to me.

• 4 weeks later...

We just did the Bio Bay Kayak tour last week and loved it. I think kids would just be in awe of the water. It truly is one of the coolest things in the world.

We went in Fajardo, which was about an hour from Old San Juan. Our tour guide picked us up and dropped us off as part of our package. The tour we went on was aimed more for adults, and I think it would be difficult for larger children to enjoy it. Smaller ones however (7 and under) would like it, I think. The reason I say this is because smaller kids could be the 3rd person in the kayak and sit back and enjoy, whereas larger kids would have to do some of the paddling.

Our guide also mentioned some of the other ways into the bay and according to them, only those that kayak in would be able to jump in the water and swim. The catamarans wouldn’t be able to make it through the mangroves that we went through(it was tough even with the kayaks), and the powerboat (operated by the gov't to protect the water) doesn't allow ppl to jump off.

That was in the Bio Bay, however I'm sure there might be other options in Vieques.

We just did the Bio Bay Kayak tour last week and loved it. I think kids would just be in awe of the water. It truly is one of the coolest things in the world.

We went in Fajardo, which was about an hour from Old San Juan. Our tour guide picked us up and dropped us off as part of our package. The tour we went on was aimed more for adults, and I think it would be difficult for larger children to enjoy it. Smaller ones however (7 and under) would like it, I think. The reason I say this is because smaller kids could be the 3rd person in the kayak and sit back and enjoy, whereas larger kids would have to do some of the paddling.

Our guide also mentioned some of the other ways into the bay and according to them, only those that kayak in would be able to jump in the water and swim. The catamarans wouldn’t be able to make it through the mangroves that we went through(it was tough even with the kayaks), and the powerboat (operated by the gov't to protect the water) doesn't allow ppl to jump off.

That was in the Bio Bay, however I'm sure there might be other options in Vieques.

Sillylizzie,

Who did you do the tour with? How much was the cost? Thanks.

Sillylizzie,

Who did you do the tour with? How much was the cost? Thanks.

We did this tour with Shore Trips. Our guide(s) were Denise and her husband.

Another thing that I though of, is to mention the kids and call shore trips. Tell them that you'd like to talk to the actual guides because when we went they towed one kayak, who couldn't paddle well. They might be able to do that for you/the kids.

The cost was $75 but included transportation to and from the hotel, all equipment as well snacks and drinks afterward.

We are signed up with East Wind Cats in November. They have recommended a driver, but I have not contacted him yet to find out costs. It is possible to go up and do the tour, and return late that same night. We won't have to paddle a kayak, not sure if my party would be any good at that since we have no experience. Can't wait to have this wonderful experience!

Archived