Jamaica - gated port area

momofmab

First time to Jamaica. I haven't yet found an excursion or tour that really appeals to me (I'd love to do the day pass at Rose hall, but seems pricey for roughly 3.5 hours of beach time). Hoping maybe a group on my roll call will want to get together and book something through Courtney Taylor.

If I decide to just get off and walk around the port area - what's there? Are there shops and restaurants? Are there people hassling you to buy M.J., etc?

Thanks!

First time to Jamaica. I haven't yet found an excursion or tour that really appeals to me (I'd love to do the day pass at Rose hall, but seems pricey for roughly 3.5 hours of beach time). Hoping maybe a group on my roll call will want to get together and book something through Courtney Taylor.

If I decide to just get off and walk around the port area - what's there? Are there shops and restaurants? Are there people hassling you to buy M.J., etc?

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of Jamaica for a lot of reasons. Years and years ago (probably early 80s) we did a land trip there before the drugs/crime got so bad and stayed at Rose Hall ... it was lovely and it was safe then to even take the local bus to the straw market and other places etc. Wouldn't do that now, although I know many do, I just wouldn't feel comfortable. However, on our last cruise we stopped at Falmouth which btw is a lovely pier/port to just walk around in without going out the gates. But, we did the Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim with the horses .... it was FABULOUS!! I just posted about it yesterday and can't say enough good things about the guides, the horses, the experience ... all of it. Highly recommend it ... and it's for all levels, even if you're not a 'rider' ... they take great care of you! :) Good luck and enjoy whatever you do! :)

Thanks!

There are a lot of shops right at the port, crafts, coffee, basket weavers, wood carvings, bottles of alcohol, jewelry, just about everything.

We did exactly that last year while on Oasis being the 1st time to Falmouth, but not the first time to Jamaica. It was rather boring, and later realized I should have gotten out there and done something more exciting.

SO....

This past summer we got a small group together on our roll call and went to the Blue Hole with Liberty Tours Jamaica. I highly recommend them, as this was the best tour we have ever done and the highlight of our cruise. They can accomodate your roll call group. Give them a try!

I'm not a fan of Jamaica for a lot of reasons. Years and years ago (probably early 80s) we did a land trip there before the drugs/crime got so bad and stayed at Rose Hall ... it was lovely and it was safe then to even take the local bus to the straw market and other places etc. Wouldn't do that now, although I know many do, I just wouldn't feel comfortable. However, on our last cruise we stopped at Falmouth which btw is a lovely pier/port to just walk around in without going out the gates. But, we did the Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim with the horses .... it was FABULOUS!! I just posted about it yesterday and can't say enough good things about the guides, the horses, the experience ... all of it. Highly recommend it ... and it's for all levels, even if you're not a 'rider' ... they take great care of you! :) Good luck and enjoy whatever you do! :)

Thank you for posting your experience - the horseback ride looked interesting - glad you found it fun! I think my 10 y.o. would love that!

There are a lot of shops right at the port, crafts, coffee, basket weavers, wood carvings, bottles of alcohol, jewelry, just about everything.

We did exactly that last year while on Oasis being the 1st time to Falmouth, but not the first time to Jamaica. It was rather boring, and later realized I should have gotten out there and done something more exciting.

SO....

This past summer we got a small group together on our roll call and went to the Blue Hole with Liberty Tours Jamaica. I highly recommend them, as this was the best tour we have ever done and the highlight of our cruise. They can accomodate your roll call group. Give them a try!

I agree with you - I hate to do nothing at a port (although I know there are those who love to stay onboard). Thanks for the suggestion!

I just booked this our excursion for out cruise in March. I have question (1st time cruiser) about time. My booking says it starts at 11am and lasts 4hr45 mins. Ship is at port from 8-5pm. Is this cutting it close?

I just booked this our excursion for out cruise in March. I have question (1st time cruiser) about time. My booking says it starts at 11am and lasts 4hr45 mins. Ship is at port from 8-5pm. Is this cutting it close?

Did you book it through the ship? They won't leave without you if you've book the excursion through them.

If you've booked it outside of the ship, it does seem like it's cutting it kind of close...