Christmas cruise pricing

dans0202

I was looking for some opinions on Christmas cruise pricing.

As I see it prices and supply have both increased dramatically over the last 5 years.

I know I have been very fortunate over the last 4 years to have come across some great deals as follows (all prices are approximate within $50, were booked 1 year or more in advance, are eastern or western Caribbean out of southern Florida, are for a balcony cabin and were for the week that included Christmas):

2010 – Epic $1200 pp,

2012 - Allure $1300 pp

2013 – Epic $1050 pp (travelzoo deal, regular price was around $1400)

For 2014 I am seeing the Epic at $1500, the Getaway at $1900 and Allure at $2300 all pp for the lowest price balcony.

I completely understand that the economy has strengthened over this period but I am shocked at the level of increase coupled with the increase in supply. Also as I see it there were a handful of supersized ships in 2010 – to 2012 period (Allure, Oasis, Epic, and several Freedom class ships). Since then a lot of capacity has been added in this class of family friendly ships with the addition of Breakaway, Getaway, A Disney ship, 2 large Carnival ships and Quantum of the Seas.

I find it amazing that with all this extra supply NCL is pricing the Getaway at more than double the pre holiday December cruises.

Just curious what other opinions and observations are. Do people think NCL has over reached with their holiday 2014 pricing on the Getaway?

I understand that booking levels year over year are not publicly available but I will tell you that I was called by NCL last week and asked to book for next year (which I just did) and felt like every room I asked for was available, making me think that bookings are down due to the very high prices.

Do you think price drops are possible and when would you expect to see them.

Thanks

Dan

Jan is the high price month for the cruises a way off summer fall xmas

everyone has done with the previous year holidays, Xmas and New year and starts thinking about their holidays for the coming year.

Set the prices high to set the expectations high for the discounting that will come later(looks like a better deal).

The other key with the Xmas an NY cruises do the dates fit in with the school holidays and the flights.

Slightly off dates will get cheap, spot on dates will tend to stay a bit/lot higher.

We see the same in Europe, Jade is always cheap over Xmas if the start date is before the schools finish, some years the cruise is xmas and NY and fits the school hols prices are much higher.

Jade went down to £250(under $500inc tax) for 10 days over xmas.

I was on the Celebrity Eclipse 12-14-28

Loved it! I booked for next year 12-21/1-4 & the price of same cabin is more than double. & the ship is filling up. Not sure there will be the price drops this year since the cruise is later in Dec & over the 2 holidays . Unfortunately this is a great time for me to travel. All I can is keep watching prices!