Beaches in West Maui

NAHA

We are going to be in Lahaina on the Serenade in October for two days. We would like to visit a beach in the area. Frommer's recommends Kapalua and Kaanapali. Any other recommendations? One thing - I would definitely need to be able to rent chairs and an umbrella. Showers and food would be nice. Also, if we take a cab to the beach, is it customary for the driver to return for us if we ask him?

Thanks for your help!

Mary

(Beachchick)

Sorry, but I don't know of any beach on Maui where you can rent umbrellas and chairs (like in the Caribbean) unless you are a guest at an adjacent resort. I know you say that's a "definite" need, but I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Most beaches with facilities have rinse off showers (not indoor "take a shower" showers). Taking a cab to the beach will be a pretty pricey proposition, especially if you go any distance. There is a shuttle from Lahaina to Ka'anapali; I don't know about the buses to any other beaches (such as Kapalua). There are several beaches I could recommend, but they won't meet your needs (no umbrella/chair rentals and you really need a car because a cab would be $$$).

Typically there is no food right on the beach. Beaches in resort areas (Ka'anapali, Kapalua, Napili) have food available at the resorts or places like Whaler's Village (Ka'anapali). BTW, no alcohol is allowed on the beaches--and they are not kidding; there's been a real crackdown on that lately.

(To be honest, we would love to see umbrella/chair rentals on the beaches, but I suspect it has something to do with commerce laws in Hawaii and the fact that all beaches are public.)

Anyway, the beaches are fabulous, but not like the Caribbean in terms of the way facilities are done.

Sorry to be of no real help here.

beachchick

(Beachchick here)

Just be sure that whatever hotel/resort you are staying at after the cruise has chairs and umbrellas and/or cabanas. BTW: Even where hotels and resorts have loungers, they often do not have umbrellas. I assume that you are staying at a place on the beach? If not, check with your hotel and see if they have chairs and/or umbrellas that you can take to the beach with you. You will not find chair and umbrella rental on the beach at Waikiki (again, unless you are staying at a resort that has them for guests).

beachchick

Archived