New to Cruising and looking for info on excursions

Sparkysgal18333

Hello All. I am new to NCL. I am going out on the Dawn end of Feb. I am really looking forward to it. Going with my elderly mother for her birthday trip. I have a few questions and hope I am in the right board to ask. Mostly it is about the shore excursions. Do y'all mostly book them through the cruise line or an independent group like Island Marketing Ltd( or another tour group). I ask because we are not going to swim or snorkel. Just want to sight-see in Belize-like the ruins and such. Maybe do a little shopping. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Stephanie

Hello All. I am new to NCL. I am going out on the Dawn end of Feb. I am really looking forward to it. Going with my elderly mother for her birthday trip. I have a few questions and hope I am in the right board to ask. Mostly it is about the shore excursions. Do y'all mostly book them through the cruise line or an independent group like Island Marketing Ltd( or another tour group). I ask because we are not going to swim or snorkel. Just want to sight-see in Belize-like the ruins and such. Maybe do a little shopping. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Stephanie

It really depends on your comfort level when dealing with companies/people in foreign countries. I personally use ship tours the first time I visit a port and get an overview of the country . After that we will go ashore on our own or arrange for a local tour guide . Usually thru a well known company.

http://www.shoretrips.com/

or

http://www.toursbylocals.com/

We actually prefer either private or DIY. But ruins are normally our exception and have gone with the ship on those. However, if you just want Altum Ha! it is close enough that a private co. Would be fine.

I would not wait to book at the port though. Book ahead with one of the many reputable companies that DD's have used. Also check trip advisor. That way you have a plan.

If I was going to a place like Belize and especially with an older person, I'd book thru ship. We just got back from western caribe on princess and they aborted Roatan due to weather. My dd and her bf took tender into Belize and came right back! They weren't comfortable and he's bilingual AND a SWAT cop so that's my take on it!!