Dining on Dream. Information please

Hi all,

We are on the dream this weekend for 2 weeks.

Just wondered if you have the same place and table each day or just grab a table when you go in.

Which is the best restaurant to eat in

Also someone mentioned the al"cart is very good, has anybody eaten there.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hi all,

We are on the dream this weekend for 2 weeks.

Just wondered if you have the same place and table each day or just grab a table when you go in.

Which is the best restaurant to eat in

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Its anytime dining on the dream, apart from formal nights when they have 2 sittings. If you want the same table and waiters in the MDR let them know on the first night and the waiter will save a table for you.

There are 3 restaurants, 1 waiter served, The Orion (MDR), and 2 self service the Lido (deck 9 aft) and Sirens (Deck 11 Mid). The Sirens is only open till after afternoon tea.

The al a carte The Grill is just off the Sirens and is only open at night. They have 2 menu which they alternate, French and Asian Fusion.

I have not tried the Asian but the French was excellent. It's 19.95 a head money well spent in my opinion.

It is also possible to do "Steak under the Stars" which is on Sirens Deck at night also to pay for. I haven't done that but I know there is a cost

In the "No Grub After 1-00am Buffet" you just grab a table when you go in.The MDR you are shown to a table

Cant comment regards the ally cat restaurant as never been but you can have a steak(very good)in the MDR at a supplement.Sure it was £10 and came with chips and trimmings

If you want the same table and waiters in the MDR let them know on the first night and the waiter will save a table for you.

All wrong IMO ;)

Edited by Jim The Scot

All wrong IMO ;)

Agree with Jim here. Open dining should be just that. Not so bad on the Dream, as plenty of room in the restaurant, but not good on the Majesty :eek: Only managed to get into the MDR once on the entire cruise, probably due to people reserving tables :rolleyes: Mind you we liked the buffet on the Majesty - a different theme every night and excellent food :)

The Orion restaurant is in 2 sections. We preferred the smaller of the two areas as it was quieter.

We didn't reserve a table with the waiter, there really was no need. We always managed to get a table in the same area (but not the same table) regardless of how many of us there were.

We always had the same table on the Majesty but we went at 6.30, when it opened, to accommodate my father in law and there were few people in at that time, so we weren't affecting anyone.

I don't believe that people should be able to reserve a table when the restaurant is busy and walk straight past people who are waiting for a table.

We always eat in the MDR and request a table for 2 - I am deaf so find it embarrassing to share a table with other people.

On our first trip on the Dream we were assigned a waiter and, although not given exactly the same table each mealtime, we were always in his section.

On our second cruise we always got a table for 2 but were seated in whatever part of the restaurant had a table available - which we actually preferred.

we like to dine with others too....sometimes those others invite us to dine with them again the next night....its difficult because the waiters will cotton on that you have become quite large group that would like to sit together and will try to accommodate you at the same table

sometimes the waiters insist so much that if they see you sitting at another table they will come and fetch you

the headwaiters will nab you at the door and try to sneak you in under the noses of the queue too....we always wait our turn (gather somewhere on the stairs until we are ready to join the queue) but the waiters will hold the table anyway....its a difficult dillema

I don't like the reserved table idea either. It put us off using MDR in the Dream a bit last January when we waited a while to get a table to walk past plenty of them all set up and empty. A bit like when cruisers tip waiters at the beginning of the cruise and you find you have a long wait for your drink while those who have tipped them get served.

we usually buy a couple of bottles of fizz on the first night (in bar & in resturant)...we then noticed the rather attentive drinks service that occured thereafter (in those same places)?...I have since found out that the bar waiters gain a commission on bottles of moet.....cant blame them really but does explain why the kids (glass of coke please) can wait literally ages to be served

I don't like the reserved table idea either. It put us off using MDR in the Dream a bit last January when we waited a while to get a table to walk past plenty of them all set up and empty.

Exactly this gill.This happened to us also.Bit my lip(not literally)when on requesting a table for two the Maitre De replied,"it will be about 30 mins and if you want a table for two you`ll have to dine earlier or later.If I had been the rude type I would have told him we`ll decide when we dine but we just stood our ground and after a short time ushered us to a table set for four whilst walking past numerous empty tables for 2 and 4.

Sounds like a poor way of organising your dinning room.

What time dies Orion (mar) open and wat time is recommended.

We would like to eat with others on a larger table, not to worried about time or it being same people or table..

Happy Crusin

We never reserved a table, but always waited for the same waiter (Manny).

Sometimes after seeing the Maitre De we would have to wait on the settees outside for up to half an hour.

We never minded, it was relaxing sat there with a G&T, people-watching.

8 Pm is the busiest time, I would say 7:15 to 7:30 and you will normally get in without waiting, after 7:30 you will normally end up queuing on the stairs. Of course all cruises can vary

We tend to go to the same waiter each evening but because I agree that tables shouldn't be reserved, we always go in as the restaurant opens so in effect the table doesn't need to be 'saved' for us. Sometimes even then we come unstuck if someone gets in just before us but we just sit elsewhere in that case as I don't believe anyone should have preferential treatment and wouldn't expect the waiters to be put under pressure thinking they should accommodate us over other passengers. If we can't make it early any evening we just take pot luck.

So in fairness to others if you want to be pretty confident of getting the same table I would say you should be prepared to go in as the mdr opens. After that I would agree that it's not reasonable to expect a table to be saved - that causes stress for waiters trying to reserve it for you and you can understand why - they are hoping for a tip (although I don't believe anyone should feel required to tip and definitely disagree with the practice of 'tipping in advance' which in my mind amounts to a bribe!). And as Jim reported it causes an unpleasant taste in the mouth if other passengers are treated as second class as a consequence. Certainly the Maitre D' is in the wrong if he allows this to happen - everyone should be treated the same.

We normally eat early so wouldn't be reserving any table. We would just like to enjoy the company of others. If its different people every night...Happy Days.

Wht time does the Orion open.

Happy Crusin.

3 more sleeps to go.....

We normally eat early so wouldn't be reserving any table. We would just like to enjoy the company of others. If its different people every night...Happy Days.

Wht time does the Orion open.

Happy Crusin.

3 more sleeps to go.....

6.30. Have a great cruise! :)

It's a real problem that could do with addressing, last summer on the Majesty, there were a couple of occasions where we were made to feel a bit 2nd class because we had the temerity to ask for a table for 2.

On one occasion we sat there for about 35 minutes and then overheard another couple ask for a table for 2 and get shown straight in!!!!

I of course jumped up straight away absolutely fuming, the wind taken right out of my sails as the maitre' d said your table is ready :)

I gave him a right look but my wife dragged me away as she knew I would have let him have it both barrels.

My wife didn't want to go back after that, but I made an absolute point of going the following night at the same time.........we got a table almost immediately, but I think that it was more luck than design.

It's about the only thing I don't like about cruising and needs sorting.