Harrison Caves??

merinski

• 2 months later...
Has anyone done Harrison Caves? How was it? Did you do it through the cruise ship or can you on your own? We are wondering if we can fit in a beach as well. Is it worth going to the caves?

I, personally, love the caves. The tour is well organized, there's not a lot of walking (if that's an issue) and even though I've been there a few times, they always impress me. Warning: you will get dripped on! No bats though, as an earlier poster asked.

However, if I had just one day in Barbados, I wouldn't go there. I'd go to the beach instead - I'd find a quiet strip of sand and a rum shack and get some flying fish and Banks :) The cave is kind of in the middle of nowhere (as most things in the middle of the island are) and you'd really only spend an hour or so there.

Here are some photos, if you're interested...

2824482815_c8e8973eac.jpg

3292070668_b1945ca5fe_b.jpg

3292079588_c7fc086a5a_b.jpg

Edited by tuffy0317

This will be our 3rd time there. We loved snorkeling with the Turtle's , but would like to see the caves , and wondered about going to a beach after.

Great photos thanks!

Edited by merinski

Great experience for children.... if you only have the day hit the beach, have some rum, swim with the turtles.... cannot go wrong on any beach in Barbados... all are beautiful... some overcrowded, most with vendors and watersports.... been there about 15 times and usually go to the west coast beaches but just came back from Caryle Bay beach on the south coast and it was terrific as well.

We visited the caves on our recent cruise on Jewel of the Seas. We really enjoyed the caves. We booked through the ship. After researching on-line, it appeared the cab fare was pretty high and it was reported that the caves tend to give preference to the tour groups. It was said arriving as a small group may require you to wait. (Not sure if that's true, but the information did play into our decision.)

You CAN do a near-by beach after the caves. You'll be back at the ship by mid-day. It would make for a pretty jam-packed day, but it's feasible.

ENJOY!

If you are fine with being independent... always do your own thing at every port of call.... you are able to negotiate with virtually everyone on each island.....I seem to remember my family did the caves at about half the price of the cruise excursion price and still had time for a 4-5 hours at a West Coast beach.