Cash account onboard

gkrnjlr

Is it possible to pay gratuities online ahead of time and then use cash onboard only?

1. If we decide to do this what is the "cutoff date" for paying them online?

2. If gratuities are paid ahead of time - what do they "require" (or suggest?) at embarkation?

We don't spend a lot onboard, it's more off the ship that we spend - so we don't want to put much down - and we don't want to use a credit card.

Any help here?

Thanks!

Is it possible to pay gratuities online ahead of time and then use cash onboard only?

1. If we decide to do this what is the "cutoff date" for paying them online?

2. If gratuities are paid ahead of time - what do they "require" (or suggest?) at embarkation?

We don't spend a lot onboard, it's more off the ship that we spend - so we don't want to put much down - and we don't want to use a credit card.

Any help here?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting I was wondering the same thing. Called NCL and the person told me 300.00 a day for my cabin. I think i just about fell out of my chair at that.

What I do is put the amount of cash I anticipate spending onto the account, and give them my credit card. Then I adjust the cash the night before departure.

That was theres no need for the $300 a day, and I don't incur credit card fees ($ to £ conversion).

We have always done cash. They try to get you to use credit card or to put 300$ a day, but if your gratuities are paid ahead you dont have to. We give them 100$ to start. We check our balance everyday and see if we need to add more. This way there is no chance of overspending and no surprises at the end of the cruise. If you go thru your money at anytime you can go add more.

What I do is put the amount of cash I anticipate spending onto the account, and give them my credit card. Then I adjust the cash the night before departure.

That was theres no need for the $300 a day, and I don't incur credit card fees ($ to £ conversion).

Seems this comes up every few days here. You will lots of answers.

The one that makes the most sense to me is:

Use your credit card when you check in. Then, near the end of the cruise pay off you bill with cash. Very, very easy. Personally, we use credit cards totally, but I understand some prefer cash. Also, assume you have factored in the conversion to US hard cash as well.

Seems this comes up every few days here. You will lots of answers.

The one that makes the most sense to me is:

Use your credit card when you check in. Then, near the end of the cruise pay off you bill with cash. Very, very easy. Personally, we use credit cards totally, but I understand some prefer cash. Also, assume you have factored in the conversion to US hard cash as well.

Indeed.

I pay off the bill with US hard cash extracted from the passengers who think they can play poker!!!

Funny! :)

We pay cash as well. This way no more off my poor credit card after final payment!!

Happy Cruising!

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Indeed.

I pay off the bill with US hard cash extracted from the passengers who think they can play poker!!!

Love it! In your case, you appear to have more cash at the END of the cruise than at the beginning. So, give them your credit card when you board. Then go down and pay it off before leaving the ship. Do it the night before leaving, as there is often a line of the cash people in the morning.

Thanks for posting I was wondering the same thing. Called NCL and the person told me 300.00 a day for my cabin. I think i just about fell out of my chair at that.

Hahaha! I bet that was a shocker.

I'm about to go on an 8 day cruise next week... so that'd be $2400 for me! I'd NEVER spend that much! I would have DIED if they had told me I'd have to put down $300 per day! LOL

I bet that representative got the old policy and the new policy confused.

The old policy was "$100 per day per person" and the new policy is "$300 per person" (no "per day"... just $300 total per person). I bet that's why they told you "$300 per day". lol

This is directly from NCL in FAQ:

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures

You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

In my previous cruise, while shopping in the gift shop.. husband and wife stop in to buy sanitary napkins for the wife...sadly his account had insufficient fund, where he has to go to the receptionist for replenishment. ..

Experienced that event, my wife and I agree how convenient it is to have credit card on the account instead of cash...

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

In my previous cruise, while shopping in the gift shop.. husband and wife stop in to buy sanitary napkins for the wife...sadly his account had insufficient fund, where he has to go to the receptionist for replenishment. ..

Experienced that event, my wife and I agree how convenient it is to have credit card on the account instead of cash...

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Funny story (not for the husband of course).

Just one more reason that having a credit card account makes sense. Could just as easily been ordering a drink, or coffee or something.

I don't get why people do not do this.

Funny story (not for the husband of course).

Just one more reason that having a credit card account makes sense. Could just as easily been ordering a drink, or coffee or something.

I don't get why people do not do this.

I prefer to put my expenses on my United or NCL card, then pay the balance in full as soon as I get home. That way no interest, and I get the reward points! :)