Upgrade price calculations?

Copper_beeches

If upgrading from say a balcony to a suite, after final payment, will you be charged the difference between what you PAID for the balcony and the current price of the suite, OR will you be charged the difference between the CURRENT cost of the balcony cabin and the current cost of the suite:confused:

I know calling is the better way to go, but looking for any info that might be out there from experience :o

I guess it's the same if it's before the PIF date? Too bad :-( When we booked, about 10 months ago, there were no aft Penthouses, only forward. Now there is one but it's about $2500 more than what we paid for our forward, but only a couple hundred more than the current cost of the forwards.

I've only sailed on another line where you can upgrade and you are given the rate for the new cabin of what it was when you originally booked that date. But of course that cruise line typically has quite a bit higher fares to begin with :-)

I guess it's the same if it's before the PIF date? Too bad :-( When we booked, about 10 months ago, there were no aft Penthouses, only forward. Now there is one but it's about $2500 more than what we paid for our forward, but only a couple hundred more than the current cost of the forwards.

Yep, when you upgrade it's always the current price of the new cabin and anything you have actually paid previously is taken into account then. So after you have booked and want to look for an upgrade, there is no use looking at the current price of your old cabin in comparison, only thing that matters is how much the cabin you want to upgrade to costs and how much you have already paid to them.

So in order to succeed in your situation, you'd have to had paid the current price of fwd suite in order to be able to upgrade for only a couple of hundred to aft suite.