Cellular at Sea question

betsyl

I have an iPhone but am not particularly "iPhone savvy." I know there is something called "Cellular at Sea" but don't really understand what that is. AT&T is my carrier. I don't need the phone for daily phone calls but would like to check messages occasionally, download my email once a day, maybe send a text or two. Is there a package that I would buy from RCL, or is that something I get from AT&T? If I want to use my phone not for email or phone calls but for the alarm clock or keeping up with my steps on my fitbit, can that be done without paying roaming charges? I usually set my phone to airplane mode when I get on the ship but then it's basically rendered useless and may as well have it off altogether. :confused:

I have an iPhone but am not particularly "iPhone savvy." I know there is something called "Cellular at Sea" but don't really understand what that is. AT&T is my carrier. I don't need the phone for daily phone calls but would like to check messages occasionally, download my email once a day, maybe send a text or two. Is there a package that I would buy from RCL, or is that something I get from AT&T? If I want to use my phone not for email or phone calls but for the alarm clock or keeping up with my steps on my fitbit, can that be done without paying roaming charges? I usually set my phone to airplane mode when I get on the ship but then it's basically rendered useless and may as well have it off altogether. :confused:

You can buy a package from AT&T:

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

I can't address the voice and data part of the question but I can help with the rest.

When you put your device in Airplane Mode you are turning off the "antenna" to deactivate the voice and data features.

You can continue to use it as an alarm clock, a camera, a calendar and most everything else that does not use data. Your GPS or Maps, for example, won't work.

I used mine in Airplane Mode on our last cruise with no problem. My Kindle app was preloaded with several books so it worked, too.

The phone came along when we went on shore and when we found free WiFi we checked our email.

And, from my wife's experience, the fitbit needs an internet connection...

Check the AT&T link provided. You can also get data through the ship's wifi, for a fee, which will let you download e-mail and give you an internet connection for the fitbit, etc. You just have to be sure you logoff (an active process) everytime you use the ship's wifi. The wifi is a hotspot, not Cellular at Sea.

At&T (Celebrity Ship used for example):

Voice 2.50 per minute, income text, pictures and video at standard rate, send text $.50, send picture or video $1.30, data .0195 per kb

So rccl might be similar or close to that, you might want to turn the data roaming option to off in the settings but leave the phone out of airplane mode that way you can only call and send texts only

I cut and pasted this from another thread (there are many on this topic):

What you want to do is go to settings, cellular, and turn off cellular data. This still allows for texts and phone calls but not data, so no worries around surreptitious downloading. You would then have to use wifi for e-mails etc. There's another slider about data roaming, but this disappears when you turn cellular data off as it becomes moot. I think you could just turn off data roaming and leave cellular data on, but to be safe I'd turn cellular data off.

One thing that confuses many is that texts count not as data but more like phone calls. In the old days (like 10 years ago!) before smart phones, cell phones all did voice and text. So texting is more like making a call in terms of what settings apply.

If you don't want calls or texts you have to go to airplane mode. You can then go back and turn on wifi. In this configuration you can use ship's or shore wifi (with package in the former case) for e-mail etc. You could also get text via iMessage. You would NOT get phone calls or conventional texts. Note that iMessage only works between apple devices, so you would NOT use this configuration if you need to receive texts from a non-iPhone user.

In summary:

1. Cellular data OFF: you can make and receive calls and texts but will not get data charge. Buy wifi package for e-mail and internet, if desired.

2. Airplane mode ON, wifi ON: no calls or texts. No data charges. with wifi package can do text between apple devices only and access internet.

3. Airplane mode ON: total peace and quiet.

One more important thing: If you buy wifi package your phone may download a lot without your knowledge. Thus it's best to turn OFF wifi except when you need it. Alternatively you can go through all your settings and make sure you apps and e-mails aren't auto updating, but this can be fiddly for the techno challenged.