Fort Lauderdale post cruise everglades tour

PresidentManley

Can you book this directly through the company after the cruise? Can you get off the Cruise late and still go? Any reviews?

El Presidente

We booked this when we were on the Freedom in the fall of 2012. We booked directly through Carnival in the middle of the cruise. We didn't have to be first off the ship, but we didn't wait too long either. We were instructed to gather in the theater and waited until we were told to board the busses. We had to wait for some stragglers to arrive, then we were off to the excursion.

We had a nice time and they dropped us off directly at the FLL airport in plenty of time for us to get our flight. (I believe our flight was around 2:30). It was a perfect thing to do to take up some time. I'm glad I did it.

I imagine you could book this directly through a private tour company, but I can't give any info on that since we booked through the ship.

I have a Freedom review somewhere that gives a little summary of our airboat ride and the everglades.

We did this same tour in October, off from the Imagination. We booked it the night before we docked. The people I were traveling with had never been on an Everglade air boat tour before and they loved it. I went on one in February from the Carnival Pride when we docked in Cape Canaveral. We rented a car and drove to Christmas, FL and took an air boat ride there - it was by far more fun than the one outside of FLL.

There are many companies, many airboats, the problem will be getting OUT to the Everglades

The Everglades is up and down the state - in the middle - you can do Everglade tours from POM, from Port Everglades, from Port Canaveral - all different companies :) and there are tons in between

The problem is - getting from the Port to the airboat/concession - what to do with your luggage, and how to get back (to the airport)? that is why a LOT of people do the Everglades-drop off at airboat tour - and it is a great idea

Everglades are really neat - unique - and fascinating'

NOW...IF you have a car - then of course just book your own and save $$$ look in the many tourist magazines that are everywhere , grab a coupon, a 2 for 1, or whatever....if you are driving also check groupon and living social as they often run airboat/Everglade tour deals

Another option - IF you are staying in a hotel before or after the cruise, you can arrange a tour with hotel pick up (at least in Ft Lauderdale and Miami).....these cost about the same as the ship tour

However - none of them will come to the (crowded and crazy) port, they don't have the permit to pick up there anyhow...so it would cost you a LOT more than the ship deal

Enjoy :) Get a picture of YOU with a gator haha

We went to Everglades holiday park after our breeze cruise. We rented a car with national at MIA. They have a free shuttle from port to Mia. We drove ourselves to the Everglades and used a groupon. When we were done we drove to the airport and dropped off the car. Worked out great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can you book this directly through the company after the cruise? Can you get off the Cruise late and still go? Any reviews?

El Presidente

I booked this tour through Carnival as a post-cruise excursion and it is totally worth the money. Very interesting and unique. We used it to kill some time before a late afternoon flight, but found it to be much better than expected. You can book it onboard at the shore excursion desk. They will keep your luggage safe for you in the belly of the bus while you go on the tour, and then deliver you to the airport in time for your flight. Try it!

Edited by winddawn

El Presidente

We booked this excursion through the cruiseline a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. It was great because our luggage stayed on the bus and we then were transported to the airport.

I don't see why you couldn't book it on your own if you had transportation to get you to wherever you could pick up the tour.

You picked up the rental at the cruise port and dropped off at the airport?

El Presidente

We took the free shuttle from the port of Miami to Miami international airport and picked up a rental. Drove to the Everglades park and the drove to the Fort Lauderdale airport and dropped off our car and boarded our afternoon flight. National car rental had a free shuttle to Mia so that saved a taxi fare and our rental only cost about $40 or $50 with tax. No drop off fee.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did this on our own after Freedom cruise out of FLL this past summer. Taxi to airport, rental car from airport, then drove to the "Gator Boys" park (pictured above). I loved the boat tour itself; so much beauty in the swamp! But we were pretty turned off by the constant reminders that tipping was expected. We wouldn't return to this particular park. But, it can be done on your own for sure!