Let the competition begin!

beachbum53

...Are you thinking that 80% of people book direct with the cruise lines? We here at Cruise Critic are a strange breed. We live to cruise. We imagine we're cruising when we're not. We research cruises until we fall asleep at our computers. Most know how many months, days and hours it is until we sail again. Our homes have cruise "stuff" all over. We will talk to anybody who even mentions the word cruise. And, we all get depressed when we step off of a ship.

...Yet, statistically, Cruise Critic members make up less than 2% of the cruising population. Just because we here know what it takes to not only book a cruise, but to get the very best rates and cabin selection, the vast majority do not. Most will need their hand held going through the booking process. And as a PP mentioned, they would rather leave the booking in the hands of a professional. As most know, there is no additional cost to using a TA. Some TA's (against Carnival's rules) will even discount their prices or add additional perks.

...And, NO, I am not a travel agent. And, YES, I book my own cabins with a Carnival PVP directly. See, I told you we're a strange breed.

The use of the internet to book travel (cruises included) goes well beyond the small population on CC. It would be interesting to know the actual number that book TA vs. Internet bookings. I haven't used a TA in 15+ years (well before CC), but I may be in the minority.

I almost always use a TA, because I like the extra perks. And since I've never had any problems whatsoever getting price drops or anything to accommodate my bookings, I'm sticking with that process for now. Many people don't want to do the legwork. Even though the internet gives them the ability to do so easily, they will typically hand it to someone else. Especially if the service is free and you get some extra in return. And when you count all of the online travel companies, I can believe the trend is that the majority use TAs. Maybe not 80% but still a majority.