Limited Mobility in Hawaii (Star Princess)

actuary314

This will be our 10th Princess cruise, but none have been to Hawaii. We'll be on the Star Princess leaving April 4, 2014 for 15 nights in an accessible inside cabin. I can walk with my collapsible rollator about 50 yards before having to rest. We plan on taking my 3-wheel Pride Go-Go Elite scooter for use on the ship, but I'm reluctant to attempt to use it on excursions. My two questions:

1. Should we also take my collapsible rollator and/or rent a collapsible wheelchair for use on the excursions? I would attempt to self-propel the wheelchair in wheelchair accessible areas, and would attempt to use the rollator in the non-accessible areas. In a pinch, my wife has graciously volunteered to push the wheelchair in accessible areas.
  2. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding suitable Princess-sponsored excursions in Hilo, Maui, Oahu, Kauai or Ensenada, Mexico?

I've learned a tremendous amount from posts to roll call and to this disabled traveler site. Thanks so much to all!

We have done this same trip twice on Princess, and twice on HAL. For all of these trips, we found some wheelchair accessible excursions. For example, we had a bus trip with a lift equipped bus from Hilo to Volcano National Park, and in Kauai, a bus trip with a lift to Waimea Canyon, both through the cruise line, but we had to push for it, and be VERY specific about needs. They always would say "but they only have to walk up 3-4 steps" and I had to explain that my mother could not stand or walk at all. We were able to take the power wheelchair on both of these trips.

Otherwise in Hawaii, I lean toward renting a car. Easy to do, you go where you want, when you want. We drove to Hana and back when in Lahaina (although this was on HAL when they would take a wheelchair on the tender...Princess will not do that). We also drove ourselves to the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium) once. If you can get ashore in Lahaina, you can also just walk around the town. Lots of shopping and restaurants right off the tender pier. In Oahu, we usually take The Bus (city bus). It is wheelchair accessible, and cheap if you just want to go to the sights in Honolulu (aquarium, Bishop Museum, Waikiki beach, etc.). If you want to see more of Oahu, rent a car. In Kauai, you can also rent a car and drive up to Princeville and Hanalei, which is a beautiful drive with great beaches. You can get to the lighthouse on this route with a wheelchair with assistance, but of course not up into the lighthouse.

We usually don't even get off the ship in Ensenada. Nothing to see right at the port, and no accessible shuttles or tours. Not enough time to rent a car either.

I use a mobility scooter and went to Hawaii over Christmas. Besides the cruise sponsored mentioned by Splinter in Hilo, there is also now a small ADA Hoppa bus (Hop-on, Hop off) that visits Rainbow Falls, Richardson's Beach Park, Queen Liliokaulani Gardens, plus more for $15 and into Town for $5. The bus only comes into the port if called. The information ladies at the pier will call for you. I brought home a flier, but can't put my hands on it right now. This trip, I scooted myself the one mile from the port to the Keaukaha Beach Park. (A relatively small family park for picnic, swimming. There were scuba divers and a few natives spear fishing while I was there. I also scooted a mile in the opposite direction to the Japanese style Queen Liliokaulani Gardens. I managed to dodge the rain drops!

I really enjoyed the Waimea Canyon tour on ADA lift bus in Kauai.

In Honolulu I took The Bus to Waikiki and was able to visit the International Market Place one last time. It is being replaced with a Saks Fifth Ave store. I believe that there are a few local tour ADA buses, but you would need to research them and verify.

Ensenada had one small ADA lift equipped shuttle for a $3 r/t to town. Lots of other shuttle buses for able-bodied.

My scooter was not allowed on the tender into Lahaina. I have been there several times so it was not an issue.

Have a wonderful cruise. There is a lot to enjoy without ever leaving the ship.

We have done this same trip twice on Princess, and twice on HAL. For all of these trips, we found some wheelchair accessible excursions. For example, we had a bus trip with a lift equipped bus from Hilo to Volcano National Park, and in Kauai, a bus trip with a lift to Waimea Canyon, both through the cruise line, but we had to push for it, and be VERY specific about needs. They always would say "but they only have to walk up 3-4 steps" and I had to explain that my mother could not stand or walk at all. We were able to take the power wheelchair on both of these trips.

Otherwise in Hawaii, I lean toward renting a car. Easy to do, you go where you want, when you want. We drove to Hana and back when in Lahaina (although this was on HAL when they would take a wheelchair on the tender...Princess will not do that). We also drove ourselves to the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium) once. If you can get ashore in Lahaina, you can also just walk around the town. Lots of shopping and restaurants right off the tender pier. In Oahu, we usually take The Bus (city bus). It is wheelchair accessible, and cheap if you just want to go to the sights in Honolulu (aquarium, Bishop Museum, Waikiki beach, etc.). If you want to see more of Oahu, rent a car. In Kauai, you can also rent a car and drive up to Princeville and Hanalei, which is a beautiful drive with great beaches. You can get to the lighthouse on this route with a wheelchair with assistance, but of course not up into the lighthouse.

We usually don't even get off the ship in Ensenada. Nothing to see right at the port, and no accessible shuttles or tours. Not enough time to rent a car either.

Thanks so much for the excellent information. Neither my wife nor I are comfortable driving in Hawaii, so we'll probably have to rely on the small ADA HO-HO bus, other public transportation, taxis, or walking around in Maui, using my rollator or a rented wheelchair. Fortunately, I can walk up and down a few steps, so we won't have to rely on the lifts, and can probably do some of the "easy" bus tours. Our biggest problem will probably be fitting my scooter, collapsible rollator and rented collapsible wheelchair in our accessible stateroom. But I'm going to give it a shot, unless someone tells me that I definitely shouldn't do it.

Thanks again.

If you have a fully accessible cabin (not just a "modified one") then you should have room for this equipment. We often stored some equipment in the roll-in shower (travel lift or power chair) when not in use, and a folding wheelchair can be folded & positioned at the desk/vanity in most accessible cabins.

Edited by Splinter

We have done the Hawaii cruise 3 times and are scheduled again for Feb 2915 on the Star. We really love the sea days.

I use a w/c for shore excursions and I rent a scooter for the ship. Just a note about our excursion to Pearl Harbor last March...I was able to take the scooter off the ship and was very glad I did...the accessible bus parked a long distance from the entrance to Pearl Harbor...several older slow walkers had great difficulty getting there...fortunately there were benches along the way to sit on. (the busses used to park right in front but now there is a special lot for them that is not close) The rest of the park is completly accessible including taking your scooter on to the boat that takes you to the memorial (there is a ramp to get there) This excursion is not to be missed.

I have done most of the accessible excursions in Hawaii so if you have questions just ask

Arlene

We have done the Hawaii cruise 3 times and are scheduled again for Feb 2915 on the Star. We really love the sea days.

I use a w/c for shore excursions and I rent a scooter for the ship. Just a note about our excursion to Pearl Harbor last March...I was able to take the scooter off the ship and was very glad I did...the accessible bus parked a long distance from the entrance to Pearl Harbor...several older slow walkers had great difficulty getting there...fortunately there were benches along the way to sit on. (the busses used to park right in front but now there is a special lot for them that is not close) The rest of the park is completly accessible including taking your scooter on to the boat that takes you to the memorial (there is a ramp to get there) This excursion is not to be missed.

I have done most of the accessible excursions in Hawaii so if you have questions just ask

Arlene

Thanks so much for your highly valued input, and for your offer to answer additional questions. We haven't yet fully decided on excursions, but we very much appreciate your advice on Pearl Harbor. Thanks again.

I can walk up and down a few steps, and perhaps 50 yards without resting with my rollator. We're seriously considering the Pearl Harbor tour, and have gotten good input on that. Can anyone provide the suitability of the following tours with a scooter, rollator or wheelchair? (The accessible buses are sold out.)

Hilo: Volcanoes National Park

Maui: Iao Valley and Maui Tropical Plantation

Honolulu: Scenic Drive of Pali Coast

Kauai: Hollywood in Hawaii-Movies and Waterfalls

I'm very appreciative of everyone's input to date. Thanks so much.

Thanks for all the information so far. My question is relating to using a scooter in Hawaii.

Has anyone been stranded during a rain storm. My husband's Tzora is not supposed to get wet. Having been to Hawaii many times over the years (prior to need for scooter), I realize that it can be sunny one minute and pouring rain the next. We don't want to go out, on our own, and suddenly it starts raining and we can't get back to the ship.

Thanks for all the information so far. My question is relating to using a scooter in Hawaii.

Has anyone been stranded during a rain storm. My husband's Tzora is not supposed to get wet. Having been to Hawaii many times over the years (prior to need for scooter), I realize that it can be sunny one minute and pouring rain the next. We don't want to go out, on our own, and suddenly it starts raining and we can't get back to the ship.

you are correct scooters are not good in the rain and it did rain when we were in Honolulu at the memorial...I had asked for a large plastic bag from our room steward and I covered all the electronics on my scooter I also avoided puddles and the scooter did fine. (I do the same at home if I am out with my scooter) I also took a rain poncho for me, to hard to hold an umbrella in the rain and wind.

I always carry a poncho and plastic garbage bags with me for rain protection. My poncho covers me and the front and back of my scooter. I have been caught in the rain any number of times with no problems with the scooter except for the time in Key West when I was forced to cross a flooded street to get back to the ship. Got back to my cabin okay, but in attempting to drain out water, battery terminals got wet and scooter stopped functioning. When all dried out, it came back to life.

When in Hilo a month ago, I encountered several downpours. I was fortunate enough to be close to a picnic shelter and the port shelter and I waited out the rain. I was able to scoot my two miles and dodge the raindrops!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the April 19th Princess R/T to Hawaii. Does anyone know about the wale watching excursion (Princess-sponsored) being accessible? While it isn't officially ADA, the footnote says they can handle non-motorized wheelchairs. Has anyone been on it?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app