What the H is the great "hump" everyone is excited about booking?

ratacake

Hi everyone!

We're booked on the Century to Fiji from Oz next October 30th.

I've been reading up on the threads, ranging in everything from guaranteed cabins to size of balconies.....

The constant chat I've noticed is that everyone wants their cabin to be on the "hump".:confused:

Please explain to an ignorant first time Celebrity cruiser from Oz what the heck is the "hump" and why is it so important.:rolleyes:

Please be kind to me - I promise to try to keep "talking the talk" once it's explained to me!

Thanks,

Ratacake

Hi everyone!

We're booked on the Century to Fiji from Oz next October 30th.

I've been reading up on the threads, ranging in everything from guaranteed cabins to size of balconies.....

The constant chat I've noticed is that everyone wants their cabin to be on the "hump".:confused:

Please explain to an ignorant first time Celebrity cruiser from Oz what the heck is the "hump" and why is it so important.:rolleyes:

Please be kind to me - I promise to try to keep "talking the talk" once it's explained to me!

Thanks,

Ratacake

Hi Ratacake. I hope I can explain this properly but on Solstice class ships the decks protrude slightly near the middle of the ship. This is the hump. The cabins on the angle of the hump have larger balconies. The cabins and balconies on the straight of the hump are normal size but prized by many cruisers. Century does not have any hump cabins.

Edited by Pean

If you look at this diagram of an S class ship, you can clearly see the 'hump': http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=SI#deck_plans/explore/ships/deckPlans.do%3FshipCode=SI

The cabins on the angles leading to and away from the hump have extra large balconies, which many people prefer.

This is only a feature of the latest generation of X ships, Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette and Reflection.

Edited by CathyCruises

We've had a lot of Hump cabins on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. The size is a tiny bit bigger but really, nothing to get excited about. You do get a nice view forward and backward, but also, nothing to get excited about. We aim for this location because it is midship so well located to getting around but if we can get something much cheaper we go for the savings. I guess we are just a couple of frugal Yankees, but being frugal gets us about 4 weeks of cruising every year. We'll take it.

We've had a lot of Hump cabins on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. The size is a tiny bit bigger but really, nothing to get excited about. You do get a nice view forward and backward, but also, nothing to get excited about. We aim for this location because it is midship so well located to getting around but if we can get something much cheaper we go for the savings. I guess we are just a couple of frugal Yankees, but being frugal gets us about 4 weeks of cruising every year. We'll take it.

All the cabins on the S-Class ship are the exact same size (can't speak to RCCL) whether they are on the "hump" or not.

If you look at the link I posted, you will see that the balconies on the angle of the hump are 2-3 times larger than the normal veranda balcony. Nothing tiny about them. :D

You may be thinking of cabins on the flat part of the hump, esp. as you mention seeing forward and back. The angled cabins we were discussing have huge balconies, 2-3 times deeper (but same width) as standard balconies.

Hi everyone,

Thanks Pean, Cathy Cruises, and Wine-O (love your name) :) for letting me know the ins and outs of the "Hump". The verandahs certainly look very large on those particular boats (ships?):confused:

Anyway, we're very excited to be getting the "1-2-3 Go" deal down here, and The Grand Hubby is already working out how much we can drink without falling overboard!

Thanks again.

Happy cruising all.......