Solo cruising

LBroxon

I've gone on 2 solo cruises and they were great. I was single at the time. I'm married now but I would still do another single cruise if I could. We're a little financially challenged so we haven't had a vacation in 6 years.

My husband doesn't seem interested in cruising at all. I'm working him hoping that he will change his mind. My sister-in-laws want to do a family cruise, if his brothers can't talk him into, then I've decided I'm going with out him. LOL

DW did 3 cruises b2b2b without me last year (she's retired, me not so much). She had a different friend join her for each of the first 2 and went solo on the third. She enjoyed all 3, but the third was her favorite, because she could do whatever she wanted without having to check with anyone.

I'm considering taking a solo cruise in a couple of weeks. I've never done this before, but the price is right and it sound relaxing. My husband thinks that solo cruising is weird and thinks no one does it. Honestly, I would be content sitting on deck with a book. Plus, the cruise goes to HMC, which is a huge perk, IMO. Has anyone here done solo cruising with Carnival? Any advice about solo cruising?

I've been on 12 cruises and 6 of them were solo and I loved every minute of it, I can do what I want when I want, I've met a lot of nice people either from joining a roll call or from a group on the social site that can't be mentioned here, I say go and have fun.

I'm considering taking a solo cruise in a couple of weeks. I've never done this before, but the price is right and it sound relaxing. My husband thinks that solo cruising is weird and thinks no one does it. Honestly, I would be content sitting on deck with a book. Plus, the cruise goes to HMC, which is a huge perk, IMO. Has anyone here done solo cruising with Carnival? Any advice about solo cruising?

I've been on 12 cruises and 6 of them were solo and I loved every minute of it, I can do what I want when I want, I've met a lot of nice people either from joining a roll call or from a group on the social site that can't be mentioned here, I say go and have fun.

When considering solo traveling, you need to know yourself. If you cant bare the thought of being away from family or friends then solo travel is not for you.

I would prefer to travel with family and friends but very few like to cruise or cursing freaks them out (ie they think they are going to get seasick). In addition, when I can go is not always when they can go. I got tired of putting off vacation because I could not find someone to travel with and took the plunge. I love it and some what spoiled by it now.

Negatives of traveling solo:

* The cost. There are some cruise lines that do cater to solo travelers and dont charge an arm and a leg. But normally you will pay more for your stateroom.

* I like to try different food. It is fun to eat with a group of friends or family and share a bite of food here and there. Although you can certainly order different items from the menu but I feel like a little piggy lol.

* You have to be creative with what to do with your valuables with you swim. You also have to think of how to do the little things like apply sunscreen.

* I like eating in the MDR but I find it oh so very awkward. I am okay sitting and being quiet when I eat. I dont care for eating with strangers (but had great luck on my last cruise of who I was sat next to). But I think people feel sorry for me and want to start up a conversation. Although it is very kind for people to start up conversations with me it is hard to tell someone I am really okay eating alone and in quiet lol. I have tried bringing books and a note pad but people always want to talk with me.

*There are usually a few weird looks when you say you are traveling solo. You should have seen the looks on my coworkers faces when I told them I was cursing solo. They looked at me like I had no friends or something ha ha.

* Even with internet onboard, you have limited contact with family and friends. I travel solo often and it is nice to be able to pick up the phone when I feel like talking or sharing what I did that day. I now have an Iphone and on my last trip (not a cruise) I used facetime often to share my day.

Positives:

Do what you want when you want! It is THE biggest pro to traveling alone. It is liberating!

I have scored great seats for shows by being a single and have found finding a spot to eat easier when dinning outside of the MDR.

I do feel like people go out of their way to be nice to me once they know I am a solo traveler.

If considering solo traveling I always recommend someone try going on a weekend trip alone to somewhere near by to test the waters. It is a lot of money to spend your time being miserable.

I have cruised alone many times, my first few cruises in my 20's were solo, and I met a lot of wonderful people. Cruised a couple times in my 30's after I had my kids, and now am cruising again next month after my husband said he would stay home for a week so I could get away. He knew when we got married that I loved to travel, and not afraid to travel alone. He believes, and says that when I can take just a little time for myself, I feel rejuvenated and am a better wife and mother when I take care of me, too. Does it feel a little lonely sometimes? Yes, and I take note of it, because I love my family and know that when I get home, I am reminded of what I truly appreciate and love about them. You will have a wonderful time!

Solo cruising is wonderful. People on carnival cruises are very friendly. I'm a bit shy but never felt lonely. People always seemed open to conversation but I was never bothered. I also never felt weird reading in a public area or sitting in a bar. It's very liberating and safe at the same time. Also, as a married person it is important to find your own space once in a while. I missed my husband and children but it was awesome to have the space and time to reconnect with myself. Give it a try!!

Lots of solo cruisers out there. I wish I could afford to do it. It seems that every time they lift the 200% requirement I am unable to take advantage.

When my kids went to college I started cruising solo. It's GREAT! I can almost always find a seat in a venue even if I go late. I meet great folks at dinner usually. I do what I want when I want. The supplement is a bummer--wish they'd offer more with a lower supplement...

JUST got off my first solo cruise. I may have to do it again soon, because I had a blast by myself!!! I knew people on the ship, which was perfect because I wasn't sure about the solo thing--but when my friends who were rooming together each complained about the other (one wanted a window and no ac, the other wanted dark and full ac!!) I was comfortable in my ocean view with the ac on full blast, and my steward provided EXCELLENT service and left my towel animals as I requested on my windowsill (and left them all for me, so I could have zoo!!). I could eat when I wanted, where I wanted, and I didn't have to go to the MDR if I didn't want to... I took long showers, went to the hot tub, sat on deck and read, met a BUNCH of new people...

And booked another solo while I was onboard!!!!

I love sailing solo. I've sailed with my mom on one of my cruises, but I found that it wasn't as relaxing as it is when I'm alone. I was always trying to make sure that she was having fun and relaxing instead of relaxing myself, and of course there's always compromise when you sail with another person. When you're by yourself, you get to do exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it, for as long as you want to do it. If I want to go on a certain excursion, I can. If I want to just go walk around the port and shop, I can. If I want to sleep late and then go be a couch potato on the Serenity Deck and have a few drinks, I can.

I'm single and live alone (other than my pets), so if I wasn't comfortable with entertaining myself, eating alone, seeing movies by myself, I'd never do anything fun.

I love sailing solo. I've sailed with my mom on one of my cruises, but I found that it wasn't as relaxing as it is when I'm alone. I was always trying to make sure that she was having fun and relaxing instead of relaxing myself, and of course there's always compromise when you sail with another person. When you're by yourself, you get to do exactly what you want to do.

So true! When I vacationed with other people, family or friends, I always had to give up some of the things I did. In some cases, everybody got to do everything they wanted; for me, it was watching cruise ships sail away, when doing a road trip to New Orleans. My friends commented that I looked like I was having the time of my life :).

Other times, it didn't work out so well: I didn't get to do a single thing I asked to do, getting people to agree to my ideas was like pulling teeth, or the person I went with acted super-bossy. So solo cruising it is for me. I loved the complete freedom of choice in my daily activities. The only non-solo cruising I'll do is with a romantic partner (due to the obvious benefits it offers ;)).

I did 3 solo cruises last year on the Imagination. I had a wonderful time on all 3. Now that the Imagination has moved to Long Beach I'm thinking about going on the Ecstasy the week after next, happy birthday to me!!!!!! I could sit in the house alone while my husband is at work or I can cruise. I know, tough choice. Think I'll go call my PVP right now!

I have checked twice now trying to find a cruise with the Single Supplement Sale. Both cruises I have checked out of Galveston from Carnival's single supplement listed on their website, the price is exactly double fopr a solo cruiser. I had been checking on Jan 23rd it is $618 solo & $618 for 2. Just now try the only cruise offer from Galveston and it is $658 for a solo, and when I do a mock booking with 2 people it comes up to $658... :mad:

Where is the SALE???

Edited by flounder315

I have checked twice now trying to find a cruise with the Single Supplement Sale. Both cruises I have checked out of Galveston from Carnival's single supplement listed on their website, the price is exactly double fopr a solo cruiser. I had been checking on Jan 23rd it is $618 solo & $618 for 2. Just now try the only cruise offer from Galveston and it is $658 for a solo, and when I do a mock booking with 2 people it comes up to $658... :mad:

Where is the SALE???

It depends on the dates and what class room you're attempting to book. I'm cruising in two weeks on the Valor for $349 for an inside room. For 2 people, the price would have been $700.

Also, they only set aside a certain number of rooms for the sale. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Edited by ldlewis45

Where is the SALE???

You're looking at the wrong dates. Feb 20th sailing is $319, Mar 6th is $399, Mar 20th is $379, and Apr 3rd is $349. Like all sales, the sale isn't valid on every date the cruise is offered (or, it may have been offered on the other dates and simply sold out of the sale cabins).

EDIT: Just looked again, and you can get the 5-day cruise out of Galveston for $319 on March 1st.

Edited by ldlewis45

Aren't the married solo cruisers afraid others might think you are promiscuous? :eek:

NOPE, not at all! I know that I'm not interested in any of that "hanky-panky", and I trust my wife when she cruises by herself, so "ain't no big thing". We both have a fantastic time, whether we cruise together, or separately. Life is too short to worry about such trivial things. ;)

"SKY"

Check for new cruises - an expanded list of single supplement free cruises just came out this morning - it is like they are giving them away. Bookings must be very slow.

I booked the Conquest today to the Western Caribbean (March), 8E balcony for $599 plus the taxes - and NO single supplement.

Aren't the married solo cruisers afraid others might think you are promiscuous? :eek:

I hope it was a joke, also! I am looking for my first solo cruise. I am single, but not looking for a singles cruise. I just want to relax and have fun, not hook up... I thought there was a difference. Besides, who cares what others think :p