20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

An ABC/Disney Clever commercial telling us, to be safe Sail Disney Cruise Line instead of Carnival?,....but disguised as a news story?,......Shame. :eek:

(Mabie Carnival should counter-sue ABC for deformation?)

Just saw this on our news coverage but my question is if she was as drunk as they say how did she manage to stay alive in the water for 90 minutes!? And I feel this lawsuit should be tossed out immediately.

I was wondering the same thing! So drunk that she can't explain how she "fell" overboard, but has enough mental and physical capacity despite serious injuries to keep herself afloat for 90 minutes?

I wish the reporter would have delved more into how she "fell" overboard. They skimmed over that info by just saying "though she can't say how she fell overboard....." Of course, as an employee of Disney-owned ABC, I'm sure the reporter's only motive in this story was to denigrate a competing cruise line.

Edited by pafam4

Accountability for one's own actions is a thing of the past. I think it's gone the way of the dinosaur, so very few even know what it means anymore. She should feel shamed for behaving that way at thirty years old and be grateful she was rescued at all.

I so agree. I can't for the life of me figure out how one falls off a balcony. I am short so it is impossible. Even my spouse who is very tall said he couldn't figure out how unless one was standing on something.

Even if she did drink a lot she could have stopped. I know when I am getting tanked and need to stop. I dont get how Carnival is blamed. Someone else could be getting her drinks. My husband got mine lots of times. She could have smuggled in loads of booze for all anyone knows. Sadly they will likely settle out of court and pay her to shut up.

Edited by grumplin

I was wondering the same thing! So drunk that she can't explain how she "fell" overboard, but has enough mental and physical capacity despite serious injuries to keep herself afloat for 90 minutes?

I wish the reporter would have delved more into how she "fell" overboard. They skimmed over that info by just saying "though she can't say how she fell overboard....." Of course, as an employee of Disney-owned ABC, I'm sure the reporter's only motive in this story was to denigrate a competing cruise line.

Completely agree! Wouldn't she literally have to climb over or up the railing to fall over? How is it even possible otherwise??? Maybe she was standing on the chair and looking over?

Even if she did drink a lot she could have stopped. I know when I am getting tanked and need to stop. I dont get how Carnival is blamed. Someone else could be getting her drinks. My husband got mine lots of times. She could have smuggled in loads of booze for all anyone knows.

Assuming what she is saying is true, she had been drinking at different bars all night. Maybe they did over serve her.

Should they be held liable just like any bar on US soil?

I have to wonder if there are any videos carnival has of her that night from there monitoring systems.

I also what there policies are for bartenders when people do get drunk.

Don't get me wrong, the whole idea of Carnival getting sued is ludicrous because they saved her life. Just wondering how the evidence and legalities will play out.

Was on Fox News this morning. Blaming the bartenders. Said they PUSHED drinks on her. How sad...

Also saying she had to spend 2 hours in the ocean. Sorry but a cruise ship cannot stop on a dime. I would be the passenger suing her for wasting my cruise time.

Edited by deborahjo

Gee, I step away from my laptop to load the dishwasher and do some laundry and miss it. Wonder if the video will be on demand....we have FIOS

Having done many cruises and enjoyed a few libations on our balcony, I find it hard to understand how anyone could "fall over" the ship......maybe on the floor! Would love to see it myself.

http://abc.go.com/shows/2020

An ABC/Disney Clever commercial telling us, to be safe Sail Disney Cruise Line instead of Carnival?,....but disguised as a news story?,......Shame. :eek:

(Mabie Carnival should counter-sue ABC for deformation?)

Yes lets sail Disney that allowed an officer to molest? a 9 year old girl, on video, before the ship even set sail then scurry him off the ship in Nassau to the airport so he could fly home. All so charges could not be filed against Disney and it's officer. How sad.

I will take Carnival.

Was on Fox News this morning. Blaming the bartenders. Said they PUSHED drinks on her. How sad...

That's disgusting. She's not a five year old. :eek::rolleyes:

Also saying she had to spend 2 hours in the ocean. Sorry but a cruise ship cannot stop on a dime. I would be the passenger suing her for wasting my cruise time.

I thought it was 91 minutes. Also, it took them 20 minutes to alert the captain before they started turning the ships around. If the videos had been monitored, the rescue would have taken a lot less time. The only thing I will say here is that I think the videos should be monitored until they get the equipment put in place that alerts security automatically.

I'm sure many people on a cruise over drink or get overserved. The nice thing is you don't have to drive home and your not endangering others. So in the end Carnival is actually safer than if you were to drink at a land based bar.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Alcohol consumption: while drinks she ordered could be counted, there's no way to know how much she rum-runner'd aboard, or how many rounds of shots her friends ordered. Had she been drinking all day and not eating, her blood alcohol level could have been VERY high.

Falling: Those railings are chest high, we all know that. She'd have had to be standing on something. If you watch closely, both hands were on the rail, which leads me to think she didn't walk/stumble over, she would have had to be standing with her shoulders 'above' the rail to be in that position. (Picture a gymnast on the parallel bars)

I think she's really lucky that at least one of her 'friends' noticed her missing in time for the ship to come back for her. They would have paged her, had security check public areas and restrooms quickly as they cycled back around.

90 minutes is a remarkably fast turn around time.

I stopped the video over and over at the start and she has both arms forward like superman over the balcony. LIke she had ran up to the rail and was going fly over (which she sorta did). She came upon the balcony rail so fast with her arms outstretched she immediately went over. Her fault.

I fell coming down Serenity steps because they were wet :eek: and hut my leg, the only thing I asked for was an ice bag. Wouldn't have in a million years think of suing for something that I did to myself and I KNEW the steps were wet. I was holding on with both hands on each side of the steps thank goodness or it would have been worse. Pulled quadriceps.

It seems that the technology isn't completed yet; which is why they don't have it. I think they should have somebody monitoring the video cameras.

I don't want to pay more for a cruise because someone is monitoring cameras 24/7 looking for stupid drunks going overboard. I was screaming at the TV when her shyster lawyer blamed Carnival for not manning the cameras full time. I also don't see the point of spending money on systems to detect people jumping overboard. I'd rather they spend the money on better entertainment :)

I think you have to be drunk and stupid to go overboard. I've had a lot of drinks on ships, but since I am not an idiot, I haven't "fallen" overboard. I am quite sure I never will.:)

I'm sorry but I'm turning 30 this year. I like to drink, but drinking to get drunk has no appeal to me. I prefer to wake up in the morning and be able to remember what I did the night before. She could have stopped drinking herself and acted like an adult in the first place. Then she would have never gone overboard.

Missed it last night, so I just watched in on the web. This girl admits that she was DRUNK!!!! Said she was with her fiancé and friend, and after drinking, went back to the cabin. Was her fiancé NOT with her? No mention of him. There is NO possible way she just FELL overboard, on their balcony. Those balcony railings come up to my chest, and I am 5'6". She better not get a penny!!! Unreal.

Saw coverage of this on Fox news this morning. They were giving the girl down the road! They said she was drinking long island ice teas. They said she also complained the ship took her to key west instead of going back to Miami.

They also said she shouldn't be suing and that carnival should charge her the cost of the rescue and the rest of the passengers should sue for having their cruise interrupted.

They definitely didn't think she just "fell"

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

It is really sad that personal responsibility plays no part in the story. That woman should be ashamed of herself and extremely thankful that she was found as quickly as she was. I for one do not want a cruiseline to determine how many drinks someone can have. Their are so many variables that come into play. I hope this woman gets nothing but a countersuit from Carnival for the cost of her rescue.

Anyone else have a little voice in their head telling them to jump when looking out at the ocean? Several members of my family have it. I think she just obeyed the voices.

Looking out into the dark while at sea freaks me out. I can not do it. Too dark. :o

Edited by janetz