Books on Alaskan Cruise Ports ?

Jasjas

Any suggestions for books on Alaskan Cruise Ports ?

I used Rick Steves's excellent book "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" on our cruise in Oct 2013...we could not have done so much on our own without that book, but unfortunately he has not written any guide books on Alaska.

Please let me know if there are any such publications on Alaskan cruise ports.

Sincere thanks.

Edited by Jasjas
left out some words

Two books often recommended here, and which I bought before I went to Alaska last year, are:

• The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile by Mile Guide by Joe Upton
  • Alaska by Cruise Ship: 7th Edition with Pullout Map The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska (Alaska by Cruise Ship... by Anne Vipond

They are available on Amazon.com. The latest editions are from 2012.

Both are printed on heavy paper, so I didn't lug them with me. I did bring the removable, detailed map (of Alaska, not of individual towns) from the Upton book.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you might want to look at downloading ebooks or apps about Alaska and bring that with you instead of printed books. For example, the Vipond book is available on iTunes, as are several other guidebooks including Fodor's.

Joe Upton - The Alaska Cruise Handbook

Anne Vipond - Alaska by Cruiseship

Frommer's - Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call

Fodor' s - Alaska Ports of Call

Sorry, I didn't see Arusha' s response before I posted.

Edited by middle-aged mom

Thanx to both Arusha and Middle-aged Mom...this is very helpful ! Especially since you both suggested the same books...then they must be good. Thank you also for the tip on the use of e-books...

Much appreciated.

Jasjas.

Thanx to both Arusha and Middle-aged Mom...this is very helpful ! Especially since you both suggested the same books...then they must be good. Thank you also for the tip on the use of e-books...

And if it makes you feel better to have a third opinion, I picked up the Upton and Vilpond books for our trip this coming August and think both are great!

Currently reading through Vipond's book (we really liked her Panama Canal by cruise book), a few Alaska books (Fodor's and Lonely Planet-- but the Fodor's isn't the cruise version it's what was in the library). I also recommend the Vipond book. We took our PC book with us, and had it out with us during canal transit, but wouldn't take it along to Alaska.

Have a great cruise. We'll be first time Alaska cruisers too.

Thank you skoi13 and grobma for your answers...I have ordered both the books and should receive it in 2 weeks time.

In South Africa everything takes t-i-m-e.

Our Alaska cruise is only in 2015...After our Mediterranean cruise last year, we have to save some money first.

Thanx again.

Jasjas

Two books often recommended here, and which I bought before I went to Alaska last year, are:

• The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile by Mile Guide by Joe Upton
  • Alaska by Cruise Ship: 7th Edition with Pullout Map The Complete Guide to Cruising Alaska (Alaska by Cruise Ship... by Anne Vipond

They are available on Amazon.com. The latest editions are from 2012.

Both are printed on heavy paper, so I didn't lug them with me. I did bring the removable, detailed map (of Alaska, not of individual towns) from the Upton book.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you might want to look at downloading ebooks or apps about Alaska and bring that with you instead of printed books. For example, the Vipond book is available on iTunes, as are several other guidebooks including Fodor's.

I totally agree. These are my two go to books on Alaska. I love the map that comes with the Upton book and use it to see exactly where we are at any given time during the cruise since the longitude/latitude is always provided on the TV.

I totally agree. These are my two go to books on Alaska. I love the map that comes with the Upton book and use it to see exactly where we are at any given time during the cruise since the longitude/latitude is always provided on the TV.

On our first Ak cruise, I taped the map to the balcony wall, and we followed along as best we could. Will use this for our next cruise in August,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad

On our first Ak cruise, I taped the map to the balcony wall, and we followed along as best we could. Will use this for our next cruise in August,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad

I read that here a few months ago and think it's awesome!

I have the first two books mentioned also.

www. cruise port insider. com is also a great resource.

I wish I thought about getting the Vipond book as an ebook.

I have looked an have not found many good free apps. And I haven't took the plunge to pay for any either. If anyone has good experience with any, I'd love suggestions....