Tortuga Rum Cake

love2cruise5

Hi, I am going on a cruise in a few months and I was wondering if anyone knows the prices for the small 16oz packages of Tortuga rum cake on board the ship. I just want to know if it would be a better deal buying it on the ship then in say Grand Cayman or on another island. If anyone has the island prices that would be great too. Thanks.

I don't remember the ship prices on Tortuga, but if you are going to Grand Cayman, find Blackbeard's Rum Cake. It's soooooo much better than Tortuga. $20 large cake with a small one free and they also have packs of the small ones - I think 5 or 6 to a pack.

Our Kroger here sells Tortuga and they are usually on clearance. I thought I'd give them a try again and decided no more until I'm back in Cayman and can get Blackbeard's!:)

I don't remember the ship prices on Tortuga, but if you are going to Grand Cayman, find Blackbeard's Rum Cake. It's soooooo much better than Tortuga. $20 large cake with a small one free and they also have packs of the small ones - I think 5 or 6 to a pack.

Our Kroger here sells Tortuga and they are usually on clearance. I thought I'd give them a try again and decided no more until I'm back in Cayman and can get Blackbeard's!:)

Thanks, I will try the Blackbeard kind.:)

Does anyone know if you can buy either brand in Freeport or Nassau? This is our first cruise there and I love the rum cakes. I always buy some in Grand Cayman.

You can buy them in Amazon, in Florida, and almost any other tropical vacation spot.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that the prices on rum cakes will vary from store to store, as much as two or three dollars, with the stores close to the pier consistently costing more than the same cake will run a little farther walk away.

I like Tortuga just fine. If they're on clearance in a grocery store, the quality surely will have faltered.

That said, I do prefer Blackbeards. I just wouldn't pass up Tortuga if that's what's available. It's delicious!

As for the original question, I've never found a single thing on a ship that is cheaper than on land. Definitely buy in port, even with GC being as expensive as it is. And the further from the point where the tender lands, the better.

I did do a price comparison myself years ago, and although I don't remember the difference it was cheaper on land.

You can buy them in Amazon, in Florida, and almost any other tropical vacation spot.

We are cruising from New Orleans and I haven't really seen them there. I was looking to buy them while we were in port but will buy them on the ship if necessary. I always check the prices on the ship and know what they are before we go into port, that way you know what prices you are comparing to.

You can buy the 16 oz ones on line for 15.70 each. Order 4 and the delivery is free. Much easier than a carrying them around. Or if you can't wait that long, I believe this is the Barcardi Rum Cake recipe.

Rum Cake

1/2 C. pecan halves

1 (18 oz. ) pkg. yellow cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 C. vegetable oil

1/2 C. water

1/2 C. light or dark rum

1 small pkg. dry instant vanilla pudding mix

Grease and flour a Bundt pan, or 10 c. tube pan. Place nuts in bottom of pan.

Beat together cake mix, eggs, oil, water, rum and pudding mix.

Pour into Bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45-60 minutes.

Test done-ness with toothpick.

While cake is baking, prepare glaze. Glaze:

1/2 C. butter

1 C. sugar

1/4 C. rum

1/4 C. water

Combine ingredients in saucepan and boil for 10 minutes.

Pour over cake while both are HOT!

Allow cake to cool in pan for about 1 hour.

Carefully turn out onto cake platter. Serves 8-10

Edited by Gayle V

There is a Tortuga store just outside the port area in Nassau. They get in fresh cakes every Thursday. Enjoy.:D

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I will have to look for them and the ones made there as well. You can't have too many, right? :D

Unless you are a person who doesn't bake at all, you can bake a better rum cake from scratch than the cake's you buy on a cruise :rolleyes:.

Recipe's are abundant-just search! My favorite is the Bacardi Rum Cake.

There is a Tortuga store just outside the port area in Nassau. They get in fresh cakes every Thursday. Enjoy.:D

Yes, there is a Tortuga Rum Cake store in Nassau.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will look for it there. We will be there on Thursday! :D

Yep yep. After you leave port and see the Tortuga and Burger King sign. You are not far from the shop. Then look down the road on left for the pirate. Pictures of each attached to know what you are looking for.

Also, you can get a good map inside the center you enter from ship at one of the desks. They were great help for directing us to the Pirates of Nassau Museum

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

1390246205235.jpg.ff8c59bc2c436a8efff96a6b52b3a454.jpg

1390246229005.jpg.33893c6a5211cf5edde351e790b3ec3a.jpg