Transatlantic Cruise - Late April - Early May?

dongordon

Getting ready to book a Transatlantic on the Star which sets sail in Late April (April 27th) from Miami and arrives in Europe in May (14 days later).

What is the weather like....will I be able to enjoy the sun and pools on deck since there are many sea days?

How are the temps and the seas crossing the "Big Pond" at that time?

Don

We took the Epic from Miami to Barcelona in late April last year and it was chilly. The only day we could realistically use the slides and the pools was day 1. The hottubs were okay the rest of time. The real issue was the wind chill.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Star will take a more northerly route than the Epic, as it is heading to Copenhagen rather than Barcelona.

I did the Transatlantic going to other way from Southampton to New York at the same time last year, so probably on a slightly more northern route and we had just one day when we could happily sit outside.

Basically, I would recommend making the most of the first couple of days, as it is likely to get colder as the cruise progresses. In early May it can be quite warm or quite cold in Northern Europe. Luck of the draw really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've done 3 transatlantics...2 spring, 1 fall. If I'm lucky enough to ever do another, it will be in the spring. Our weather was perfect both times and we spent lots of time outside and I recall lots of folks 'laying out' but cannot recall whether there were folks in the pool or not. Seas were very calm both times and I remember looking at the water and thinking it was like a sheet of glass and that this could not possibly be the Atlantic Ocean!!

Our cruises ended up 1) Lisbon and 2) Savona Italy...so we may have taken a more southerly route compared to the one the Star will take.

Have you looked at the Star reviews and searched for the ones from the transatlantics she's done? Perhaps they will mention the weather they encountered.

Our fall crossing originated in Rome (well, actually Civ...or 'that place') on a mid-November day. It was a 16 night norovirius nightmare in the waiting...with hundreds of cases and two deaths. The perfect example of what can happen if you put thousands of people on board a ship after they've been traipsing around Europe for however long in very chilly, wet weather. Throw in the fact that it is also the beginning of flu season. (Yikes..what WERE we thinking when we planned that trip. And on a Carnival ship besides!)

I bet they will try to keep the ship (within reason) in waters conducive to what cruisers hope to experience....but not sure it entails swimming.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.