Renting Tux on Board

DLaHaye

It was in our literature package. About $85 as I recall.

Personally, I bring mine, but I've read other folks comment that it's a real nice service, that it will be hanging and waiting for you in your stateroom.

Perhaps others with actual experience will chime in...

I wonder if each cruise line is different, or are they all pretty much the same?

For Princess, it was $85. I almost rented one for my June 20 cruise...instead I went on Ebay and bought a very nice black double breasted suit for $59. Shipping was $9 and I paid $16 for alterations...so it was the same price. Granted, I had to pack it and my shirts/ties, but I also planned to wear just the slacks (didn't) for other than the formal nights.

PS...I am fussy about suits and in the past averaged paying about $300 to $400 for a decent suit...just now, I am too fat for my existing suits. I was shocked how good the bargain suit was! The hand was like a nice worsted wool and it was all poly.

Any idea what the cost is?

I don't want to pack a suit if I don't have to.

Consider this...instead of renting a tux....spend the $$$ on alternative dining on formal nights. You can dress smart casual. This is our plan for our next cruise.

Our group rented tuxes for $85 each, which includes two shirts. A couple of our guys were "big and tall" sizes, and the tuxes fit fine. Included are two shirts, and I recommend trying on both shirts in addition to the tux when you arrive onboard. Even though both shirts were marked the same, one was smaller and could have been exchanged.:o

Consider this...instead of renting a tux....spend the $$$ on alternative dining on formal nights. You can dress smart casual. This is our plan for our next cruise.

We found on our cruises that on formal nights, the alternative dining options also observed the formal dress. If someone didn't wish to dress for dinner, their only real option was the buffet. We've only sailed on Princess so perhaps other lines are different.

If you don't care to participate in the formal evenings then don't. If you're traveling on Princess you have a 24 hour alternative restaurant that offers many of the same menu items as the main dining room. Alaska is not about 'white tie and tales' its about whale tales. It's your adventure so get out there...! I've never found it necessary to put on a Tux in Alaska nor will I ever! But if it's your thing...

SourdoughSteve

Archived