century or mercury in March?

mcgovernsandra

I have been dying to try a Celebrity ship (have only been on Carnival and RCI) - and will be celebrating our anniversary in March. Would like to hear any pro's and cons on both the ships and itineraries. Mexican Riviera vs. South. Carib. Any advice would be appreciated. My husband and I enjoy snorkeling and have heard that the water temp may be cool in Mexico and also the water is not clear.

The southern Caribbean is our favorite itinerary. I can't tell you much about the Mexican Riviera, we're sailing it for the first time in December.

We've been on the Mercury, great service and food. The Century and Mercury are sister ships, they're very much alike.

If you like snorkeling (we do too!) I'd recommend the southern Carribean itinerary.

I have been dying to try a Celebrity ship (have only been on Carnival and RCI) - and will be celebrating our anniversary in March. Would like to hear any pro's and cons on both the ships and itineraries. Mexican Riviera vs. South. Carib. Any advice would be appreciated. My husband and I enjoy snorkeling and have heard that the water temp may be cool in Mexico and also the water is not clear.

Hello !

They are both great ships. You would not go wrong with either of them. If you live on the East Coast (I believe you do), it would be a heck of a lot shorter trip to get to Century than Mercury. I have done the Southern Caribbean many times, and always have a wonderful time. The snorkeling is incredible in the Caribbean !

Please let us know which ship you choose. Enjoy your Cruise !

If you can spare 10 days of cruising the best cruise is Celebrity's Ultimate Southern Caribbean.

I did this one on the Summit last December but now they offer it on the Constellation.

The itin is wonderful:

Ft. Lauderdale

Sea Day

Sea Day

St. Maartan

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Kitts

St. Thomas

Sea Day

Sea Day

Ft. Lauderdale

This is one of the most relaxing Caribbean cruises you could be on. Even though you have 5 port days in a row, it's the two sea days before and after that are great.

Even though I already had done this itin, my friends had never been on a Celebrity cruise and we just booked this one for March 2, 2007.

Something to consider.

If you can spare 10 days of cruising the best cruise is Celebrity's Ultimate Southern Caribbean.

I did this one on the Summit last December but now they offer it on the Constellation.

The itin is wonderful:

Ft. Lauderdale

Sea Day

Sea Day

St. Maartan

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Kitts

St. Thomas

Sea Day

Sea Day

Ft. Lauderdale

This is one of the most relaxing Caribbean cruises you could be on. Even though you have 5 port days in a row, it's the two sea days before and after that are great.

Even though I already had done this itin, my friends had never been on a Celebrity cruise and we just booked this one for March 2, 2007.

Something to consider.

Hi Cathy !

We have done that sailing on Summit... MANY times, and yes, it is one of the best itineraries out there. I cant wait to do it on Constellation, when she moves to Ft Lauderdale..... but it will have to wait until December of 2006, when the 10 night Ultimate Caribbean sailings resume again.

Enjoy your Cruise !

I agree with the above posters about loving both ships! The problem WE had on the Mexican Riviera trip was the 2 days out/in to San Diego were cold!! We would never do that again because of the weather. I KNOW it isn't always like that, but we have been in Nov, Dec & late Feb & it has always been too cold for us, we're warm weather Caribbean folks! Having said that though, we now do land vacations to those ports because we DO love them so.

AND, you are right, the snorkeling is much better in the Caribbean than on the Mexican Riviera.

I would choose the Caribbean given the choice, in fact, we are also looking at the Ultimate Connie itins. :D We just love those 2 sea days out & back in!!

Your situation is entirely different than mine.

Were I you, I would probably opt for the Caribbean, for some of the reasons that are noted above.

Being out of the Left Coast, Mercury would appeal more to me. I could drive to a San Francisco departure, or just a short flight to an LA or San Diego departure.

Not a snorkeler (sp), so clarity of water not important to me.

Mcgovernsandra,

My husband and I are booked on the Century for a 9-night cruise to the Western Caribbean. The ship leaves Fort Lauderdale Thursday, Mar. 9th, 2006 and the ports of call are Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Aruba, and Curacao with 4 days at sea. We've been to Aruba and the Cayman Islands before and did some great snorkeling.

We love the Century, this will be our third time sailing on her. We've also been on the Galaxy, Constellation, and the Horizon. We've enjoyed all our cruises with Celebrity. They're the best!

Hope this helps.

Linda

The problem is that I want to do a 9 or 10 day cruise but would like to leave on a Thrusday or Friday instead of a Monday so I won't have to miss 2 full weeks of work. that is a problem with some itineraries.

Hi Mcgovernsandra !

I do not know exactly what time of year that you wish to sail, but we booked Century for the same reason as you. If you choose the 9 night sailing, there are 2 itineraries... one departs on Thursdays, and the other 9 night itinerary departs on Saturdays. The 10 night sailing departs on Mondays, and those are always impossible for us, as too many work days would be missed.

The Century 9 night sailings will be available for a few months starting in late October of this year. You should definately look into it. If the dates work for you, it sounds like it would be an excellent choice.

Let us know what you decide. Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived